7) Kaviksdad (from 7smitty7) - Travis D'Arnaud C Tor
8) nythawk-Gary Brown OF SF
9) peterdouglas38 - Rex Brothers P COL
10) Roscodog-Anthony Gose OF TOR
11) BillyV - Alex Liddi 3b Sea

12) [b:28d4ccb2f7]thisisdan - Can pick anytime[/b:28d4ccb2f7]
kaviksdad

Postby Roscodog » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm

I think last years prospect draft is over is it not?
Roscodog

Missing prospect picks

Postby kaviksdad » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:01 pm

I can't find any record of Dan and Jagman making their last prospect draft picks in last fall's draft.

Which begs some questions:

- Did they pick and I fail to see it?
- Did they not pick by choice?
- Did they just forget, and the rest of us forget to remind them?

In any case, this somehow needs to be resolved (glad I'm not commish).

In my opinion, allowing them to make those picks now gives them an unfair advantage over the rest of the league because they had an extra amount of time to observe and judge the prospects. A guy who might have been top rated during the draft might now be out of baseball because of injury - he might have been highly sought after during the draft, but nobody wants him now.

It would be my suggestion that we work something out before the season begins. I'm not sure just giving an extra prospect pick to each would be fair either - since the player pool is different than it was during the last prospect draft and players now eligible weren't eligible then.

It's all so confusing...but it's not my call to make.

And if Dan and Jagman did somehow make their last picks in last year's prospect draft then I really should know who they were - since I keep the records.
kaviksdad

Re: Missing prospect picks

Postby thisisdan26 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 pm

[quote:6d39b91ff8="kaviksdad"]I can't find any record of Dan and Jagman making their last prospect draft picks in last fall's draft.

Which begs some questions:

- Did they pick and I fail to see it?
- Did they not pick by choice?
- Did they just forget, and the rest of us forget to remind them?

In any case, this somehow needs to be resolved (glad I'm not commish).

In my opinion, allowing them to make those picks now gives them an unfair advantage over the rest of the league because they had an extra amount of time to observe and judge the prospects. A guy who might have been top rated during the draft might now be out of baseball because of injury - he might have been highly sought after during the draft, but nobody wants him now.

It would be my suggestion that we work something out before the season begins. I'm not sure just giving an extra prospect pick to each would be fair either - since the player pool is different than it was during the last prospect draft and players now eligible weren't eligible then.

It's all so confusing...but it's not my call to make.

And if Dan and Jagman did somehow make their last picks in last year's prospect draft then I really should know who they were - since I keep the records.[/quote:6d39b91ff8]

In all honesty I completely forgot to make my pick. Did a "Oh my pick, gotta run now but will do it later" and just forgot. However, I don't quite see how it is unfair. Rosco made his pick (the last pick) on Oct. 16th, and the minor league season had already been completely finished, playoffs included, for a month. It's not like Cory and I can pick Darvish or something, the same players are available now as were then. But I am fine with whatever is decided.
thisisdan26

Postby kaviksdad » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

I didn't say it was a BIG advantage Dan, just an advantage. And I'm not saying anyone did anything wrong or underhanded. I know how it is to forget - I'm old!

Don't forget about the Arizona Fall League and Winter Ball - both had not got going when we picked the last two rounds of the prospect draft. And I can remember stories about ballplayers slipping on ice during the offseason and losing a year or two to injury.

The advantage is just built into the extra time that you and Jagman would get if you were to make those picks now.

Think of it like studying for your SAT's - if you get a couple extra months and put in the effort you're likely to score higher than if you took it without the extra months wait
kaviksdad

Prospect Draft

Postby Roscodog » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:09 pm

I actually made my pick in Oct 14 and just updated the page on the 16th as Dan and Jagman both had not picked. I also sent a message in the League Mail while the league was still running that Dan and Jagman both had to make their prospects picks and Jagman also had a supp pick to make.

I personally don't think it is now reasonable to finish that prospect draft. I think the time has passed. Those 2 picks would now technically be the 1st and 2nd of this years draft.

That being said if we are going to allow that then I'll make sure to always hold on to a pick until the following years draft. :wink:
Roscodog

Postby peterdouglas38 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:51 pm

As harsh as this may sound, I don't think it's at all reasonable to allow picks to be made months later. It's not in the "rules," but I do believe it's an unfair advantage. To make picks months later does allow those who do so an advantage in that they now have information about injuries, prospective playing time in 2012, and so forth. However, I'm obviously on board with whatever the commish decides. I just think that, at the end of the day, forgetting to pick doesn't make any sense. Everybody knows there's a draft on (it's not like they missed the entire draft), and they know how many picks they have. To have not checked in in several months is on the owners.
peterdouglas38

Postby Roscodog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Tillman
Zambrano
Reynolds
Pagan

all available for low round FA picks or prospect pick. Plus I will include a lower round FA pick in return.
Roscodog

Postby Roscodog » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:49 am

BillyV PM.
Roscodog

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat