General Managers Keeper League

Postby kaviksdad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:50 pm

My confusion lies when I get the pick to fully complete my 40 man roster - that's why the supplemental pick is there.

In other words, if my last scheduled draft pick is in round 11 and I trade that pick to Smokey, do I pick in round 12 to fill my roster or wait until the draft is over then use a supplemental pick.

My assumption would be at the end of the draft, but if you think it would be the next round then that's better for me.
kaviksdad

Postby qksilver69 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Neither. Here is how I see it, without having the benefit of a draft grid in front of me:

You have 12 open roster spots, meaning picks in rounds 1-12 of current draft.

You trade Smokey your last pick (actually round 12 unless you have someone else's pick via trade), and you add his 1st round pick #4.

You make 2 picks in Rnd 1, 1 pick in each subsequent round through round 11 to total 12 picks. You have no need of a supplemental.

Smokey picks in your spot in Rnd 12. Am I missing something? Again, my question is why do you even think you need a supp pick here? Supp picks are for uneven trades, period.
qksilver69

Postby kaviksdad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:27 pm

I've got 2 picks in round 1, and a pick in each round after that. To get to 40 players I'd have to use all my picks in rounds 1 through 11.

If I trade my last pick to Smokey (in round 11) I cannot have a full 40 man roster unless I get another draft slot. I've just traded away the last draft pick I own and only have 39 players. The rules state I must have 40 by season's start.

You're telling me that giving Smokey a 12th round pick is the answer? I never had one to begin with. If I send him my last draft pick (in round 11) I need to get another player somewhere.

The question is - do I pick in Round 12 or wait until the draft is done, then use a pick in the supplemental round to get that last guy? I want to be fair to everybody and not sneak in a pick.

Either I'm not explaining it correctly, or not understanding your response.

In any case, we'll do it this way:

Smokey gets my 11th round pick
I'll pick up my last player in the supplemental round after the draft is over.
kaviksdad

Postby qksilver69 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:41 pm

OK, so prior to the deal, you have 12 picks in 11 rounds, 2 picks in the 1st round?

If that's the case, then why wouldn't you have 12 picks in 10 rounds post-deal? (3 in round 1, 9 picks 1 in each rnd 2-10)

Again KD, you haven't answered the base question:

"In an even-up trade, why is there a supp pick needed?"

[quote:b78afa8a46]If I trade my last pick to Smokey (in round 11) I cannot have a full 40 man roster unless I get another draft slot. I've just traded away the last draft pick I own and only have 39 players. The rules state I must have 40 by season's start. [/quote:b78afa8a46] This is incorrect. You are trading your *current* last pick in the draft, yes, but you are gaining a higher pick from Smokey's slot. You have 12 slots (no matter which round the last one is in) and give Smokey your last slot and he gives you his 1st round slot - you still have 12 total draft slots & are drafting 40 players. What could be simpler?
qksilver69

Cubit's GMKL Gorillas stay in Fenway

Postby Cubit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm

I've been asked if I am keeping Fenway for this season? I thought I had answered that one with an unqualified yes, but if I missed a separate Message Board thread, I apologize to all for keeping you waiting.
Cubit

Cubit = Fenway

Postby Palmtana » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Here's where everyone's playing - please indicate whether you want to keep or dump your current stadium choice:

Smitty - Camden Yards - Keep
Cubit - Fenway Park - keep
Palmtana - Turner Field - keep
Ninersphan - Citi Field
Ehlekev - Great American Ballpark - keep
Kaviksdad - Busch Stadium
Cummings - Coors Field
Nythawk - Progressive Field -Keep
AFDickie - AT&T Park -kEEP
Smokey - PNC Park (drop)
Qksilver - Yankee Stadium
Sandlotshrink - Miller Park
Palmtana

Postby Ninersphan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:12 pm

[quote:56f2358201="qksilver"]OK, so prior to the deal, you have 12 picks in 11 rounds, 2 picks in the 1st round?

If that's the case, then why wouldn't you have 12 picks in 10 rounds post-deal? (3 in round 1, 9 picks 1 in each rnd 2-10)

Again KD, you haven't answered the base question:

"In an even-up trade, why is there a supp pick needed?"

[quote:56f2358201]If I trade my last pick to Smokey (in round 11) I cannot have a full 40 man roster unless I get another draft slot. I've just traded away the last draft pick I own and only have 39 players. The rules state I must have 40 by season's start. [/quote:56f2358201] This is incorrect. You are trading your *current* last pick in the draft, yes, but you are gaining a higher pick from Smokey's slot. You have 12 slots (no matter which round the last one is in) and give Smokey your last slot and he gives you his 1st round slot - you still have 12 total draft slots & are drafting 40 players. What could be simpler?[/quote:56f2358201]

I think qk has this right
Ninersphan

Re: Cubit = Fenway

Postby Ninersphan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Here's where everyone's playing - please indicate whether you want to keep or dump your current stadium choice:

Smitty - Camden Yards - Keep
Cubit - Fenway Park - keep
Palmtana - Turner Field - keep
Ninersphan - Citi Field - [b:6bac5876a8]Drop take Cleveland[/b:6bac5876a8]
Ehlekev - Great American Ballpark - keep
Kaviksdad - Busch Stadium
Cummings - Coors Field
Nythawk - Progressive Field -Keep
AFDickie - AT&T Park -kEEP
Smokey - PNC Park (drop)
Qksilver - Yankee Stadium
Sandlotshrink - Miller Park
Ninersphan

Postby kaviksdad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Bill - you can try to take Cleveland, but you'd have to kick Hawk out first.

I know it's hard to keep track of the names, but I'm pretty sure Cleveland still plays at Progressive Field
kaviksdad

Postby Ninersphan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 pm

[quote:38f98c6742="kaviksdad"]Bill - you can try to take Cleveland, but you'd have to kick Hawk out first.

I know it's hard to keep track of the names, but I'm pretty sure Cleveland still plays at Progressive Field[/quote:38f98c6742]

In which case I'll keep citifield
Ninersphan

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat