Strat-O-Matic.com transition info/FAQ

Postby rjohaire » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Being a old systems guy, I found that my 1st instinct was usually correct and that management forcing the issue never worked out.
Seems like this is what happened here - originally it was going to be weeks before the new site/system would be ready. Then, all of a suddend it was to come up ASAP.
Looks like management made another wonderful call - lets not test this puppy just implement - lol

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Keep us posted Bernie!!!!
rjohaire

Postby dharmabums » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:03 pm

OK Bernie, I've calmed down from this CRAPPER of a waivers run. Keep at it. We're here for you, more or less :wink:

It it going to run, eventually. But I am feeling like I'm paying for the "privilege" of beta testing this beast. It is what it is, and it will run. (if I keep repeating that, maybe it will come true)
dharmabums

Postby dharmabums » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:04 pm

"agree with Salt its time to step back and regroup...shut it down for a few"

Agreed :cry:
dharmabums

Postby buzzards1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm with "Salt if he is referring to what i think he is referring , ive just started playing the online game and my 1st team was an impressive 69-69 going into this transition , i learned about the online game from a buddy while we were throwing back a couple dozen brewski's , in the meantime i have enjoyed these message boards a great deal.
buzzards1

Postby DonFESQ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 pm

so thankful I had the foresight to only have one team in waivers today and it was Barnstormers so wouldn't have been in that one if the time wasn't forced on me.

This is beyond ludicrous. This is not directed at Bernie because I have every belief that he's a hardworking, intelligent competent guy. It just seem like a marriage made in hell and a whole ********* was coming when you have 1. what this game is here at TSN because of the idiot PTB at TSN who have forced Bernie into this one man show because of their greed, incomeptence or whatever and 2. Strat-o-matic whose website is fresh out of 1991 and as Petro said their customer service makes TSN look professional.

In my opinion, it would be extremely foolish for anyone to pay one dime on this product. I feel really bad for those of you who spent money recently on this game. Fortunately, I have not had to do so in a very long time (and like Petro I wish I could get a check for my 14 remaining credits as well). It would be shocking to me if this game ever worked up to the level that it was here at the end on TSN. And that ain't saying much - remember when we used to have this thing called live drafts?

And seriously, this is such a big deal for Strat that there was never any announcement on their site leading up to it? And we're having to talk about issues here instead of, you know, having a site where the game is actually hosted having forums of their own. I would be hard pressed to write a script for failure better than the one engineered by Strat-o-Matic so far.
DonFESQ

Postby tcochran » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:52 pm

[quote:18140683b9="dharmabums"]OK Bernie, I've calmed down from this CRAPPER of a waivers run. Keep at it. We're here for you, more or less :wink:

It it going to run, eventually. But I am feeling like I'm paying for the "privilege" of beta testing this beast. It is what it is, and it will run. (if I keep repeating that, maybe it will come true)[/quote:18140683b9]

Yeah, we're beta testing -- but that's part of the fun, if we can approach it with a positive attitude.

The good news is that, for every glitch we can identify, Bernie can find the bug and fix it.

Take your time, Bernie, and get it right. And I hope you're not the lone ranger, working on all of this by yourself!
tcochran

Postby DonFESQ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:57 pm

the problem is you are beta testing in the middle of a barnstormers event, something that is about the highest stakes around here in terms of prestige, rating points, actual rewards. And you can't just get screwed on these waivers and say I'll just go enter a replacement league. It's done and over and it ain't fixable. You can't unring this bell.
DonFESQ

Postby djmacb » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Somebody made a prescient comment early in the week - I can't remember who - this is not a matter of TSN hosting the site or Strat-O-Matic hosting the site. Its become very clear now that TSN washed their hands of the on-line game and its either SOM or nothing.

All you guys pounding your chests and threatening to quit might not have any choice in the matter.
djmacb

Postby Hack Wilson » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Who cares? There are other things to enjoy in life.
Hack Wilson

Postby franky35 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 pm

With the reported bugs, I am getting a bad feeling about the transition. Could the game be resurrected back on TSN and continue to run. At the same time, on the SOM web site, start absolutely fresh with one type of league. For example, start only with the 1969 league. Work out the bugs on a low volume league with only one league running to start with. Then slowly build up the SOM web site.

Isn't this a good idea? With the waiver/salary cap issues that have been reported, this is really looking like a nightmare. Couldn't we restart on TSN and slowly ease into the SOM site with just a few leagues?
franky35

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx