Event 2, League 5 Sign-ups - DRAFT STARTED

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby DENNISTUMBERG » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:33 am

I don't have a problem drafting this week, although I have time on Sunday to do some tinkering also if needed. (This is my vote.)

I could also be persuaded to wait until next week so there would be a little more time to work with. I get too anxious waiting for the league to start if we draft early in the week! :?
DENNISTUMBERG

Postby luckeroll » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:59 am

Man I am sorry for all the maneuvering on my behalf. I ended up back home sooner than expected. I can join whenever you guys need it. If I am still in the central then I will place my team soon as the last team pick their stadium. If I am in the West then whenever I am up.
luckeroll

Postby Jeepdriver » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:06 pm

I also hate waiting a whole week to start. My vote would be [b:dc1dd4cc07]this week[/b:dc1dd4cc07].

Anybody seen [b:dc1dd4cc07]Rube[/b:dc1dd4cc07]? He's still up for a stadium pick.
Jeepdriver

Postby Coffeeholic » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Geez guys, it's only Monday, we should have no problem getting teams drafted by Friday and be ready to start play next Monday (May 1st).

Why the talk of delaying for a week?

I'll get my team enterred tonight and put an APB out for Rube.
Coffeeholic

Postby FoggyOne » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:16 pm

lets go for start this Monday.
FoggyOne

Postby mesquiton » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:45 pm

The problem is that [b:176ec27c13]Riggo[/b:176ec27c13] won't have his team (or even his stadium pick) in before Thursday night at best. So assumming guys in the West want to see his stadium before entering their teams, likely the EARLIEST we might draft would be Friday.

For those who have time to tweak their teams between Sunday waivers and Monday start, that might not be a problem. But some of us (me for one) might not have time to fix our teams during that brief window.

This is a Tour league after all, it appears we have some fairly new managers here, it's early in the season so some of us aren't very familiar with the cards yet, and for some this is our first $100M draft.

Some of us might even have the silly notion that for our $25 we should have enough time to enjoy fielding the best team we can, especially in a Tour league, without being unduly rushed due to other people holding things up for days, whether unavoidably, or out of thoughtlessness, rudeness, or just for their own convenience.

In my case, this is only my 2nd 2006 league and my first $100M draft, so I anticipate my team will need plenty of work after waivers. Most likely I won't be around on Sunday, I have to work on Monday and unlike some lucky folks my job does not permit playing SOM all day. So, unless by some miracle we can draft Thursday night, my vote is to start May 8.

I might add that May 8 is, after all, one of the dates this league was scheduled to start...so it's not like we'd really be starting "late".

Having said all that, I don't wan't to dictate, there appear to be votes both ways, so I'm not going to make an "official" call as LC, except to say nobody should feel pressured to get their teams in by Friday.

Let's just see how it goes...and hope everybody will be as considerate as those like [b:176ec27c13]luckeroll[/b:176ec27c13] who have made the effort to check in and keep us posted all along. I personally hope nobody will think it's a GOOD thing to put anybody at a disadvantage for the benefit of others less considerate. :?

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. Wake me when it's over. :D
mesquiton

Postby edgecitytx » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:45 pm

Mesquiton, I agree with you and have the same problems over the weekend and on Monday. Going into the season without having time to look at our teams gives a distinct advantage to those who have played 20 teams so far. This will be my second 2006 team and I'd like to have time to look at it first. Especially since my team will have been entered for a week by then.
edgecitytx

Postby mesquiton » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:48 pm

OK, that settles it...if it were only me, I'd live with it, but I really think it's unfair for anybody to be put at a competitive disadvantage due to arbitrary delay caused by another manager, especially if the delaying manager might also gain an advantage as a result.

Since it was one of our posted start dates, I don't see how starting May 8 will harm anyone, except maybe needing an extra change of underwear due to anticipation...but that's not really a SOM issue. :wink:

So, I'll ask - this time "officially" as LC - that the last man in not enter before midnight on Friday. Since we have no idea whether [b:5bccd83f7d]Riggo[/b:5bccd83f7d] will see this before he enters, that leaves [b:5bccd83f7d]Foggy, Terry and SGT D.[/b:5bccd83f7d]

[b:5bccd83f7d]Last man in, please don't enter your team before Saturday.[/b:5bccd83f7d]

Thanks guys!
mesquiton

Postby DENNISTUMBERG » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:20 pm

OK, consider me persuaded. In my earlier post I just wanted to let everyone know where I stand. The extra week does give me a chance to evaluate the teams that I have going now, and since I am back after about a 6 month layoff from SOM, that can't hurt at all.

Yes, I would have taken advantage of some managers having less time to set up there teams, I need all the advantages I can get, haven't you seen how my teams perform! :)

No, seriously, I would like to give everyone a fair shot to get their teams set up, that way it will make winning more fun! :D
DENNISTUMBERG

Postby mesquiton » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:30 pm

Thanks, [b:0179aec995]BD,[/b:0179aec995] I appreciate your comments, and your attitude! Makes me regret much less taking on this LC thing! :D
mesquiton

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship