Sign-ups for event 3 live draft - LEAGUE 1!

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby Stoney18 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:42 pm

jehale, I don't know if it's the same but when I first went to the site last year the default password was "test". After you log in with the default you can change it to what you want.

If you've already signed up you probably need Tee to check it out.
Stoney18

Postby Hillbilly Rockstar » Tue May 16, 2006 11:18 pm

THANKS STONEY. THAT DID IT. I WAS ABLE TO GET IN AND LOOK AROUND.
HALE,OUT.
Hillbilly Rockstar

Postby terpfan61764 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:43 am

I'm checked into the sight...
terpfan61764

Postby Stoney18 » Wed May 17, 2006 1:30 am

jehale, ask if you have any questions regarding proxies. It's a great feature that helps if your away from your computer for a while.
Stoney18

Postby unesid » Wed May 17, 2006 5:24 am

I'm in...can anyone give me a quick tutorial on proxies?
unesid

Postby Hillbilly Rockstar » Wed May 17, 2006 5:34 am

STONEY,
I LOOKED OVER THE PROXY OPTION AND I AM PRETTY SURE I CAN USE IT. IT WILL COME IN HANDY SINCE I AM A HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER AND THERE IS A 3 HOUR BLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON WHEN I'M TIED UP.THE ONLY UNCERTIANTY I HAVE IS THE DELETE IF PICKED BY GROUP SWITCH. I AM ASSUMING IT SHOULD BE SET ON YES. ONE OF THE GREAT THINGS I HAVE ENJOYED ABOUT THIS GAME IS HOW MUCH THE MORE EXPERIENCED PLAYERS ARE WILLING TO HELP FOLKS LIKE ME.
THANKS AGAIN,
JIM.
Hillbilly Rockstar

Postby Stoney18 » Wed May 17, 2006 5:58 am

jehale, I just started playing last year so I wouldn't call myself very experience. Make sure and get over to the strategy section and read the "newbie" thread.

Unesid, check the help section on the draft site for a by the book explanation.

I don't usually use the round feature. At the beginning of a draft I list the top players in the order I want them in the same group w/o using the delete group feature.

EX: Round 0 Group 1 Priority 5 Ortiz
10 Hafner
15 Helton

I usually go by 5 since I always change my mind and I can put #7 in between without changing the whole group.

Later in the draft when I need a SS I'll put all the SS that I want in one group in priority order with delete group on. If they are all taken before it gets to me then it will go to my next group. If one of my picks is chosen then it will delete the group so I don't get two SS.

Hope this helps a little. Once you start it will be pretty easy. PM if you have other questions.
Stoney18

Postby hendrix08 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:23 pm

Detroit can pick anytime.
hendrix08

Postby hendrix08 » Wed May 17, 2006 8:16 pm

Why are we on rain delay?
hendrix08

Postby teepack » Wed May 17, 2006 8:31 pm

OK, guys, I have paused the draft because we haven't heard from Detroit yet. I'll shoot him an e-mail and let him know we are ready to go. Has everybody checked into the draft site yet? If you haven't, please let me know.

As for proxies, here is a quick tutorial.

The system is remarkably simple yet very complex. You have essentially two options. You can designate your players in groups by round (i.e. you can list 4-6 players or more as people you want with your first round pick, and it will take the highest ranked player on your list when it is your turn, but then it will delete all the other players from that round when you make your pick) or you can group the players in groups and then put the groups in a specific order. I prefer the latter approach.

The round approach is pretty simple. Let's say you decide you want a hitter in the first round and you've got the fourth pick. All you need to do is to rank your top four choices in the order in which you want them, and when it is your turn to pick, you will get the highest pick in your queue. At that point, all the other picks are deleted.

The reason I like the group approach best is that you can tell the system to keep picking from the same group until all the players you have listed are gone. In other words, I could identify the top eight hitters I want and list them all in Round 0 and Group 1, and I would get players from that group as long as they were available when it was my turn to pick and as long as I don't check "Delete if Group picked." If you check that, whenever the system picks one player from your group, it will delete all the others that you have told to "Delete if Group picked." If all the players in that group are gone when it is my turn to pick again, it will move to the next group.

Some tips to remember: You can list a player in more than one round. Let's say you really want Derek Jeter and Gary Sheffield. You can list Jeter as your No. 1 pick in the first round and Sheffield as No. 2, and then you can go ahead and list Sheffield as your No. 1 pick in Round 2, in case you get Jeter with your first pick. That way, you can conceivably get both. One quirk to remember, though, is that if you put a player in multiple rounds but then decide you want to remove him from one round, when you click the remove button, it will remove him from ALL the rounds you have listed.

Remember to use the "Delete if GroupLet's say I decide with my first two picks, I want a good offensive shortstop or catcher. For catcher, my choices are Jason Varitek, Victor Martinez or Javier Valentin, and for shortstop, my choices are Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez or Michael Young.

Let's say that my top priority is SS, so I put the SSs into one group with the following rankings:

Round 0, Group 1

A-Rod
Jeter
Young

Then I put my catchers in Round 0, Group 2

Martinez
Varitek
Valentin

I have to remember to mark Jeter and Young both as Yes on Delete if Group Picked. That way, if I get Arod, then it drops Jeter and Young so I won't get stuck with two SSs.

Does that help?
teepack

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship