Relievers: CALLING-------------TEEPACK----------

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby teepack » Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 am

I misunderstood lucky's question, in case any body read my original response. Here are the official answers:

[b:d032a5a4aa]If I trade my reliever when he reaches 150 innings for another one who gives my team 75 innings, I am still respecting the rules? [/b:d032a5a4aa]That is not a problem. It is not 200 innings per relief spot, but 200 innings per relief pitcher. The innings follow the reliever, they don't stay with the manager (see below)

[b:d032a5a4aa]If a reliever is traded at 150 innings, is he allowed to get more than 50 innings for the team I trade him to? [/b:d032a5a4aa]In this case, the reliever would be limited to 50 innings for the team that acquires him. The innings would follow the reliever.
teepack

Postby teepack » Thu May 18, 2006 10:29 am

"Next year the rule should clearly state the only way to get rid of a reliever headed for 200 IP is to drop him and face the 20% penalty. Using a reliever for 105 IP in 81 games clearly violates the spirit of the rule."

The rule is for 200 IP, not a reliever who is on pace to pitch 200 IP. So if you have a reliever who has hurled 105 innings through 81 games, you are not violating the spirit of the rule and won't be penalized. But you will need to make sure that he eventually gets back to a lesser pace, or you will be subject to the penalty if he does exceed the 200 IP rule.
teepack

Postby RAYMONDSTRAWN » Thu May 18, 2006 11:12 am

Thanks-excellent interpretation and very well done.
RAYMONDSTRAWN

Postby RiggoDrill » Fri May 19, 2006 9:32 pm

[quote:beee1215a9="marcus wilby"]C'mon guys, I need an answer: can a reliever pitch over 200 innings spread out in two different teams?[/quote:beee1215a9]

Marc, at some point, I think its reasonable to expect players to exercise some judgement and discretion to stay within the spirit of the rules. That would save us from arguments over technicalities.

That said, I don't think our rule says anything about how many teams the RP pitches for. We simply state the max number of IP a pitcher may throw during a given season. Thus, if you trade your RP in mid-season, the team that receives him should take care to limit his remaining innings so that he does not exceed 200 for the season.

I think that interpretation of the rule would more or less solve the problem.
RiggoDrill

Previous

Return to --- Player's Championship