OK, I give.

OK, I give.

Postby GREGKOESTER » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:36 am

Where and what is netplay?
GREGKOESTER

Postby MICHAELEVANS » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:49 am

Netplay is buying the CD-rom version of SOM, together with a particular year of oldies, and then joining a league of like-minded afficionados to play the games online instead of HAL. It has options for allowing the computer to manage particular situations, if you are not able to play the game yourself. Most of the people in here who play it swear it is great. I have not joined because even though I bought the game in Feb., only recently was I able to get it to work, and I still have two seasons that I bought that won't work yet. Thus, after spending over $150, I can only play the 1927 season and the 1965 season, but can't play the Hall of Fame players or the 1911 season.
MICHAELEVANS

Postby Rob55 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:12 pm

Grindi.....netplay is simply more statisfying to play. YOU make the decisions on WHO to pitch WHEN to relieve and WHO to bring in for a reliever....and WHEN to pull him.....when to steal...when to hit and run, when to sac bunt. You watch each batter hit ..... decide what you want him to do. You also get to see the dice roll....see the splits on the card and KNOW why so and so hit into a dbl play....or why a particular pitcher isn't performing to his card.

You have SO MUCH more control over everything ..... HOWEVER, since you are playign another person LVIE, you are constrained time wise by when he can play....you can also be frustrated by how slow the opponents decision making is....or by guys who just won't play....this forces a game to be run on "auto" by the commish. BUT if you find a good group of managers it can be the most fun you ever had playing this game. Our netplay 1 group....the original bunch from the TSN site are a great bunch..... lots of times the weekly games are finished by thursday... deadline is sunday nite.

The season consists of 162 games, played 3 series per week....9 to 10 games. If you play agaisnt a fast player and are fairly quick yourself, a 3 games series can be knocked out in less then an hour. If you are with a slower opponent they can take 30 minutes per game. The initial investment is high...but once you have a season its yours and you can use that series as many times as you wish....

Any other questions ....please ask
Rob55

Postby GREGKOESTER » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:42 pm

Shoot. It doesn't sound like it would be good for me. I'm strictly phone modem, so I'd be ssllooooowww. I have a regular strat cd game, I forget which year, but it isn't as fun as the board game. I assume I'd just need the appropriate cds. But I guess it doesn't matter anyways.
GREGKOESTER

Postby Rob55 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:21 pm

dial up doesn't necessarily mean slow.... rjoh is in several netplay leagues and he is dial up .... so don't let that hold you back
Rob55

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats