SMALL BALL KINGS PRE-1920 DRAFTING

Our historical single season sets

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Musial6

Re: SMALL BALL KINGS PRE-1920 DRAFTING

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Since we are in their era and you mentioned them - might be fitting to repeat the little ditty about the trio.
And to recollect that they were on the very last Cub team to win the Series (if, in fact, they were on that roster - not exactly sure about that)! Wow!

These are the saddest of possible words:

"Tinker to Evers to Chance."

Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,

Tinker and Evers and Chance.

Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,

Making a Giant hit into a double—

Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:

"Tinker to Evers to Chance."

LMBombers

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Tinker, Evers, and Chance began playing together with the Cubs in 1902, and formed a double play combination that lasted through April 1912. The Cubs won the National League pennant four times between 1906 and 1910, often defeating the Giants en route to the World Series.

The poem was first published in the New York Evening Mail on July 12, 1912. Popular among sportswriters, numerous additional verses were written. The poem gave Tinker, Evers, and Chance increased popularity. It has been credited with their elections to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1946.

Though it was said the poem gave the trio "everlasting fame", many forgot Harry Steinfeldt, the third baseman who started alongside Tinker, Evers, and Chance from 1906 through 1910. Including Steinfeldt, the Cubs infield set a record for longevity surpassed by the Los Angeles Dodgers infield of first baseman Steve Garvey, second baseman Davey Lopes, shortstop Bill Russell, and third baseman Ron Cey, who played together for eight years, from 1973 through 1981.

Despite their celebrated success at turning spectacular plays in collaboration, relations between the teammates were said to have been often strained. Tinker and Evers feuded for many years. On September 14, 1905, Tinker and Evers engaged in a fistfight on the field because Evers had taken a cab to the stadium and left his teammates behind in the hotel lobby. They did not speak for years following this event. According to some tellings, Tinker and Evers did not speak to one another again following their fight for 33 years, until they were asked to participate in the radio broadcast of the 1938 World Series, played between the Cubs and the New York Yankees. Neither Tinker nor Evers knew the other had been invited.

From 1906 through 1910, the "Tinker, to Evers, to Chance" double play happened only 54 times in 770 games played, and the trio did not collaborate on a double play during any of their 21 World Series games. In 1906, the trio committed 194 errors, though this was in part due to field conditions and scorers.

Rjnewman

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 4:34 pm

I am hoping for better fielding than that.

kenhutchings

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 5:05 pm

From 1906 through 1910, the "Tinker, to Evers, to Chance" double play happened only 54 times in 770 games played, and the trio did not collaborate on a double play during any of their 21 World Series games. In 1906, the trio committed 194 errors, though this was in part due to field conditions and scorers.

Link from Baseball Reference, 1906 Chicago Cubs

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/1906.shtml

Doesn't make sense to me regarding the number of Tinker to Evers to Chance DPs during the five year period. In 1906 alone, Evers was involved in 51 DPs, and Tinker was involved in 55 DPs. Although there's a possibility that some of those DPs could have been started without involving the other (SS fields the ball, touches second, then throws the relay to first), it would seem that kind of DP happens infrequently. So it would seem that there should be at least 40 DPs involving both Tinker and Evers in 1906 alone.

Something that caught my attention from the linked page was the percentage of runners that their two catchers, Johnny Kling(on) and Pat Moran, caught stealing (58% and 56%, respectively). Also that the Cubs that year allowed an average of 2.46 runs per game, while the next best team, the Pirates, allowed an average of 3.05 runs per game. The Cubs ranked third in the National League in the number of double plays turned, including 13 combined by their two catchers. So I would suggest that the reason there weren't a higher number of DPs, especially during the 1906 season, was that there weren't that many DP opportunities. Either their pitchers weren't allowing too many runners on base, and a good number of those runners who got on base eventually got thrown out by their rifle armed catchers.

GFDWARF07

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 7:49 pm

I have always loved this poem. A few years ago I looked up gonfalon, as I had no idea what it meant.

gon·fa·lon
[gon-fuh-luhn] Show IPA

noun
a banner suspended from a crossbar, often with several streamers or tails.

It basically means the pennant in this context.

LMBombers

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 7:15 am

:| Where is the sleeping emoticon?

Risden

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 9:04 am

Hi All,

I'll be out of town beginning next Monday (July 29) and without internet access until August 2. I will leave a number of proxies with Dan and/or Randy to get me through at least 3-4 rounds or so.

Thanks!
Risden

Rjnewman

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 9:15 am

Gordie was at my house test driving my car Tuesday. He was driving home to Detroit Wednesday. He may have gotten a flat tire or is distracted by Verlander giving up 7 earned runs.

LMBombers

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 9:52 am

Risden (or anybody), I'm available for proxies if you need it.

Rick Smith

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 am

Gentlemen,

I am writing this from LAX, I was hoping to pick before my flight, but I will check back when I land in Washington DC later today.

From July 31 - Aug. 4 I will be in Philadelphia attending the National Convention of the Society For American Baseball Research (SABR). I will be checking a few times a day to see if my turn has come up. Also let me know if anyone else in at the convention and we can meet up.

Rick
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1982, 1964, 1986, 1999