Grumpy Old Men Keeper League (GOML)Chat_Sup. draft Cuts here

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Paul_Long71

Re: New 2017 Keeper League Chat

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 12:31 am

again. I'm not saying draft h.s. players. I'll try and explain it again. Riley Pint was drafted last year. he was drafted out of h.s. He was a 1st rd pick. he is eligible in our draft. But, when players get drafted out of h.s. (especially pitchers) they are usually more than 2 years away from going thru the minors and into the majors. thus, not worth drafting in our prospect draft since we'd have to promote or dump them in 2 years. I am NOT saying we should draft h.s. players. I'm saying it's tough to draft a player that was recently signed/drafted by the MLB straight out of h.s.

hope that clears it up.

Paul_Long71

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 12:31 am

sociophil wrote:
I used the rules that were most common in the keeper leagues that I am in. I am not opposed to having a vote for any proposed rules changes. If everyone thinks it fair to vote on changes to the prospect rules before the prospect draft then I am all for it. If the current implemented prospect rules affected how you drafted in the leagues initial draft then any rules changes would have to be voted on to go into effect for next season. I like the group of guys we have in this league, especially their viewpoints. So, if anyone wants to propose a rule change, please let me know and we can discuss.

I like the current rules. I would rather not get a divorce and neglect my child because I have to pursue an advanced degree on high school ball players to stay competitive. Lets keep this league focused on major league ready ball players.

totally missed my point. read my post above.

sociophil

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 am

Hi Paul, I understand your point. I'd actually prefer that we not have prospects at all, but if we must have them I'd rather focus on players close to Major League ready. I don't know Riley Pint, and most baseball fans may never know him given the relatively low likelihood he will make it. The history of baseball is littered with the broken dreams of 17 year old sure things. Under the current rules you can draft low A ball players and watch them develop, but you have to make a strategic choice if they are more than two years away. A kid like Riley Pint might be five years away for all we know.

The current rules force managers to make some hard choices with their 40 man rosters, and will likely discourage drafting and holding young prospects. The result will probably be a better distribution of young talent through the draft because of the high roster cost of hording younger prospects. It certainly won't prevent owners from drafting and holding the next Kershaw, but you would have to pay a price to do so.

STEVE F

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 6:48 pm

C'mon guys , let's knock this thing out. There's nothing left that's gonna make or break anyone's team.

hk mossy

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I will be busy and not able to do much with updating and following the draft for the next 2 days. Tonight is the first night of Passover. I come from a fairly religious family, so with the combination of sedar tonight and tomorrow night, plus services tomorrow, I will not be around. I will send out proxies, but I will not be able to update the available player list. So , please be diligent on making sure everyone is taking players that are not on other teams rosters (end of the draft seems to see that happen more often then in other parts of the draft) Also, who will be around that does not mind me sending them my proxy list.

Thanks

STEVE F

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Guys
This draft has exhausted me! Can't believe we're in round 40 at last!
Steve

hk mossy

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Are you in any 24-team Keeper Leagues? I can only imagine how you would feel in then, 720 picks vs. 480 picks.

We are almost there

STEVE F

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 pm

hk mossy wrote:Are you in any 24-team Keeper Leagues? I can only imagine how you would feel in then, 720 picks vs. 480 picks.

We are almost there

I'm only in one other online keeper , but I'm in 12 CDROM leagues. No complaints, just took a lot longer than I thought it would.

I should qualify that this is my fault , due to my OCD personality, Every night since the draft started I've woke at 3 or 4 AM and got up to check if a pick had been made, then tried to go back to sleeep. I don't think I've had a good nights sleep in 3 weeks. TOTALLY my own fault, not on hk or anyone else here. Tonight I'll be taking a pill and hopefully go down for 10 hours :)

hveed

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 11:14 am

I actually thought this draft went pretty well relative to some of the other online leagues I am in. Like hk said, the 24 team drafts can really drag... I know it can be frustrating, but after doing a bunch I'm prepared for the delays, it is just part of the process...

Should we get the prospect draft going since the regular draft is just about over?

Paul_Long71

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Should we get the prospect draft going since the regular draft is just about over?

YES
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat