Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Paul_Long71

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 2:56 pm

Free agency could be tough as well since all free agents become available at the same time. are we going to be allowed to rescind bids. say I bid on 3 CF but only want 1, once we get the 1 can we rescind. In real baseball it would be obvious that once we got our guy we would tell the others we've offered that their offer is now off the table. But...this is different and that would turn into a mess. Still it would be tough to only be able to offer one guy at a time and have to wait for that to be decided before moving on. guess we'll see and maybe adapt as we go.

Paul_Long71

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm

unless I missed it, it's also not stated how a free agent player is won. It says the ledger will be cleared out at the end of the night. Does that mean once a bid is made on a player, owners can only bid on him that day. If so, wouldn't you just bid on him right before midnight or whenever bidding time closes. I'd assume it's should be something like bidding remains open for 24 hours from the time of the initial bid... some leagues do a deal where a player isn't won until no one bids on him for 24 hour period but that will cause problems like what I stated in my last post (having to wait to see how a player is resolved before bidding on anyone else so as not to go over cap)

sociophil

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:28 pm

It would seem to me that, in theory at least, you could inadvertently go over the cap if you have a half dozen or more players arbitration eligible, and all or a majority win their cases at far higher salaries than could have been imagined. To me that's different than someone going over the cap in this initial draft, which would have to be considered intentional.

You do need to have some cap space for arbitration no doubt, but if you've been carrying 3 players at say $1 the year before they become eligible for arbitration, and all have exceedingly good years, that could cost you $12-15 million additionally in salary if they come in even as low as $5-6 M. It's hard to see any team having that kind of cap space under those circumstances.

Yes, it's the arbitration rule that could put you over. We need to plan for arbitration carefully. Since arbitration is settled after the free agent signing period, there is a significant risk of going over if you have not reserved enough salary cap to cover your worst case scenarios.

I like the suggestion of benching arbitration winners first to get under the cap, but I'm willing to consider any penalty, although I think we need a serious one in order to force GMs to properly plan and manage their caps in advance of arbitration.

The second potential area for mistakes is the league minimum salary rules. If you fail to account for salary increases for plavers under control you might slip up there are well, although the salary amounts are small. You also can't forget to withhold $1.5 mil for new prospect signings each year (until you reach the 10 player max).

Phil

sociophil

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:40 pm

unless I missed it, it's also not stated how a free agent player is won. It says the ledger will be cleared out at the end of the night. Does that mean once a bid is made on a player, owners can only bid on him that day. If so, wouldn't you just bid on him right before midnight or whenever bidding time closes. I'd assume it's should be something like bidding remains open for 24 hours from the time of the initial bid

You missed nothing, Paul. I don't have a time frame in the rules. Yes, there should be a 24 hour window at least for bidding, especially since we are scattered across so many time zones. I think having 24 hours expire since the last bid would be the best policy as it would function as an auction last call. We could conceivable see an auction go on for weeks with some players though. It would be work for me to track the bidding and expiration process, but I'm up for it.

Anyone else want to way in on the mechanics for free agency bidding?

Paul_Long71

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:59 pm

as I stated above I am AGAINST the 24-hour last call policy BECAUSE it could make some drag on and you could easily go over the cap...unless we are allowed to rescind offers after winning one. but I like this option if we only do a small number of players at a time.

So...some options:

1. a silent free agency. players take turns bringing up free agents and then anyone who is interested puts in a 1-time free agent bid. Highest bid gets him.

2. once a guy is brought up you have 24 hours to bid for him....problem here is everyone will wait til the 24th hour.

3. the 24-hour last call way, which makes the most sense but could make you have to pass on other free agents while you wait for this one to drag out for fear of going over the cap. Doesn't happen in real life as teams contact agents and tell their clients that the offer is off the table as they've signed so-and-so.
Last edited by Paul_Long71 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dharmabums

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:11 pm

sociophil wrote:You missed nothing, Paul. I don't have a time frame in the rules. Yes, there should be a 24 hour window at least for bidding, especially since we are scattered across so many time zones. I think having 24 hours expire since the last bid would be the best policy as it would function as an auction last call. We could conceivable see an auction go on for weeks with some players though. It would be work for me to track the bidding and expiration process, but I'm up for it.

Anyone else want to way in on the mechanics for free agency bidding?

i like the idea of having 24 hours expire since the last bid functioning as last call. I agree with Paul that we need something to deal with the issue of bidding on multiple players, but only being able to afford just one of those players. If it happens in sequence and I'm bidding on two players, but the process finishes for one player before the other one, then that second player bid becomes invalid if it puts me over the salary cap. That seems pretty clear, and having differing times in the process helps. But if the bidding for the two players finishes at the same time, and a manager ends up over the cap, then he has to give up one of those two players he was bidding on, not any other player, to get under the cap.

As for arbitration, I'm inclined to take a hard line - if arbitration for a player puts me over the cap, then that player becomes a FA. Other managers can bid on that player as a FA before the season starts, which would obviously be a different time than for the regular FA bidding.

oldmansmith2

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:53 pm

Two things that I think would be helpful if we do a 24 hours expiring since the last bid for the bidding to close. First we could start the free agency as soon as the baseball season ends in early November. Second we could make each successive bid have to be higher than the 100,000 per year increase currently in the rules. Maybe 500k or even a million. Maybe these 2 changes would allow us enough time to do them one at a time and avoid the problems Paul has brought up.

hveed

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 6:49 pm

Looking to move John Means or Charlie Blackman to free up some salary if anyone is interested? Will trade either for your next draft pick or an RP.

thanks!

hveed

paul j kiggins

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 7:58 pm

Cape Bear Cubbies announce the following trade:
SP Joe Musgrove to Hveed
FOR:
SP John Means

i agree
Paul
HVeed to confirm