WBKL chat thread - league full. Let's rock

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

the ghost of roger maris

Re: World Baseball Keeper League chat thread

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:For Prospect Draft:

Since we are using regular card set. Are the players who have MLB experience but do not get a card in the regular set eligible? Someone like say Christian Bethancourt, who only had 1 at-bat this year. Is the definition of "getting a card" meaning a "regular card"?

the rules say no
Prospect drafts:
1) There is 1 prospect draft during each season
2) The yearly prospect draft is 3 rounds, to be held immediately after each year's Spring Free Agent draft, here after called Spring Prospect Draft
3) Only those players without MLB experience signed by MLB teams are eligible for any prospect draft. Propsect Eligibility: Prospects are defined as any player that has a signed contract with an MLB organization that has no MLB experience prior to the start of the current MLB season.
4) The initial prospect draft is serpentine. Draft order for this initial Prospect draft will be the reverse of the draft order for the Initial Free Agent draft. All subsequent prospect drafts are non-serpentine, and draft order is based on the previous year's regular season records.
5) Owners lose rights to all prospects that they release; Released prospects are eligible to be drafted as either a) Free Agents if they were issued SOM cards or b) prospects again if never issued SOM cards.
6) There is no clock for Round 1 of each prospect draft. All subsequent rounds will operate with a 3 hour clock.
7) Individual owners are responsible for their own prospect research.
8) Draft Order for the Spring Prospect draft is determeined by the cumaltive records of the preveious season.

Looks to me those folks will be supplimental round players
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

bigmahon

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Yep, Item 3 under Prospect Drafts spells it out pretty clearly.

lakeviewdave

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 1:27 pm

I would disagree that it is stated clearly.

5) Owners lose rights to all prospects that they release; Released prospects are eligible to be drafted as either a) Free Agents if they were issued SOM cards or b) prospects again if never issued SOM cards.

This is somewhat confusing, "prospect again if never issued SOM Card". So someone like Bethancourt will not be issued a card with 1 AB, but he is not considered a prospect? Above it states, "prospect again if never issued SOM card".

So what you are saying is that players who have MLB experience but do get a Card (or even an unleashed Card) are eligible for the supplemental draft and not the prospect draft? Doesn't make sense, Supplemental draft I thought was to potentially help teams for Season 2, and not to load up on "Prospects"

bigmahon

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi Dave,

Item 5 refers to prospects that were drafted during one of the annual prospect drafts, and subsequently released. The example would be a prospect who never develops for some reason, prompting the owner that drafted him to release him at the end of the prospect's 3 year window. We haven't had a prospect draft yet, so at this point there are no prospects to be released. As such, Item 5 is not yet relevant.

I thought you initial question was about prospect definition, and when I said 'clear' I was referring to Item 3.

big

the ghost of roger maris

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 1:36 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:I would disagree that it is stated clearly.

This is somewhat confusing, "prospect again if never issued SOM Card". So someone like Bethancourt will not be issued a card with 1 AB, but he is not considered a prospect? Above it states, "prospect again if never issued SOM card".

So what you are saying is that players who have MLB experience but do get a Card (or even an unleashed Card) are eligible for the supplemental draft and not the prospect draft? Doesn't make sense, Supplemental draft I thought was to potentially help teams for Season 2, and not to load up on "Prospects"

you can't release a prospect who wasn't drafted as he wasn't a part of the prospect draft.
I get your point.
I often draft those folks at some point in the free agent draft the following year.
In one league I was able to nab Wacha and Rosenthal that way last year.

The Turtle

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 3:14 pm

the ghost of roger maris wrote:
lakeviewdave wrote:I would disagree that it is stated clearly.

you can't release a prospect who wasn't drafted as he wasn't a part of the prospect draft.
I get your point.
I often draft those folks at some point in the free agent draft the following year.
In one league I was able to nab Wacha and Rosenthal that way last year.

And in some leagues you can't do that because it restricts you to only drafting players with cards. Others, you can draft anyone with MLB experience.

lakeviewdave

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 3:28 pm

So for this league, we are using regular cards, so all others who had MLB experience prior to this upcoming season will be eligible for the Supplemental draft (regardless if they have a regular cards or not), based on the rules as I see them and I think this is Ghost's interpretation as well, as under Supplemental rules item 7 states:

"Eligiliblity for players to be drafted follows the same rules as Spring Free Agent draft for that year, this is any player with MLB experience prior to start of the current MLB season is eligible to be drafted in the supplemental draft."

Do you agree with my interpretation?

bigmahon

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Dave, that's correct. But please note that that section of the rules refers to the 3 round draft that takes place between Seasons 1 and 2 for each SOM card set. So we won't be dealing with that for several months.

lakeviewdave

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Is it time to consider a 3-hr clock? How many picks today? Less than 10, we should be doing a lot better than than.

the ghost of roger maris

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 9:13 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:Is it time to consider a 3-hr clock? How many picks today? Less than 10, we should be doing a lot better than than.

Not that hard to leave an email or text number so folks can let you know when u r up
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat