WBKL chat thread - league full. Let's rock

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

fredpaii

Re: World Baseball Keeper League chat thread

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 3:18 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:How about a compromise in how we draft.

Not using Unleashed set. I am fine with that.

Draft 40 players
Then once we know who is unleashed, hold another draft for those who have unleashed players/non-carded players in online game and re-select. Order would be based on order selected in initial draft. So if Bethancourt with 1 AB is drafted in 2nd round and he is unleashed or no card, then manager would drop that player and re-draft.

What do you think?

That sounds good. But it could be somewhat problematic due to numbers. Basically, there probably won't be exactly 12, 24, or 36 of these non-carded players. So certain folks with high enough draft slots will get more young studs in this supplemental draft than others farther down the list. That doesn't seem quite fair. Maybe another way to do it is to let these players be designated and available for the prospect draft. I know they have played ML ball but their status issues seem well-suited for the prospect draft. That's of course if they are not regular set carded.

bigmahon

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Fred, maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but the point is that un-carded players can NOT be used in our league. The supplemental draft is only for replacing live drafted players that end up with no card. For example, if Billy Hamilton is drafted in the initial draft and ends up either a) having NO card or b) being in the Unleashed Set, then the owner who drafted him will relinquish all future rights to Billy Hamilton and make a supplemental pick to bring his roster back to 40. The prospect draft is ONLY for prospects, as defined in the rules.

So there is an obvious risk associated with taking a player with borderline AB's, as there won't be much left to choose from in the Supplemental Draft. Even so, I suspect the later rounds of the initial draft will be riddled with risk/reward picks of this sort. 8-)

fredpaii

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Yeah, that sounds great, bigmahon!

I thought lakeview dave was saying that to minimize the loss in value of the drafted non-carded player pick we could hold a supplemental draft of only those non-carded players that were drafted in the initial player draft. Maybe I misinterpreted. I think it's a cool idea though...even if it wasn't Dave's. ha

What you said sounds perfect!

bigmahon

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Also, are we all agreed to reduce the number of annual prospect drafts to 1, and to limit the number of prospects to 6? I like this better myself.

Any other minor rules issues? We need to agree on any changes before we get started with the draft.

azpanthers11

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 4:11 pm

I feel that is the best thing we can do if we want to start the draft as soon as possible but I do really like the idea.

It will be interesting to see the draft strategy everyone takes.

fredpaii

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 4:20 pm

I actually like the 10 prospect idea. Could we compromise at eight?

fredpaii

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 4:33 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:Would like to see some minor rule changes discussed:

Only 1 prospect draft, 3 rounds after FA draft
Max prospect 6
Ballpark - can change once every 2 years

How is determination of cards for initial draft going to be if we are to draft soon but do not know who will appear on TSN website?

Thanks
Dave

I would love to see us be able to change Stadiums after every two years. Thanks Dave. We could facilitate that via the FA draft (after two years). As long as the pick is in the first five rounds then it's okay.

bigmahon

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Please indicate your preference for maximum number of prospects held below.

1) bigmahon (commissioner)
2) jmlopp
3) Lakeviewdave
4) azpanthers
5) thechamp87
6) WJS6768
7) fredpaii
8) the Turtle
9) nythawk
10) Dr. Publix
11) The Ghost of Roger Maris
12) Michael Grammes

The prospect draft will be 3 rounds, so the maximum won't come into play for a couple of years yet. 8-)

lakeviewdave

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Please indicate your preference for maximum number of prospects held below.

1) bigmahon (commissioner)
2) jmlopp
3) Lakeviewdave - 8
4) azpanthers
5) thechamp87
6) WJS6768
7) fredpaii
8) the Turtle
9) nythawk
10) Dr. Publix
11) The Ghost of Roger Maris
12) Michael Grammes

The prospect draft will be 3 rounds, so the maximum won't come into play for a couple of years yet

lakeviewdave

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 4:48 pm

For ballpark changes, I propose once every 2 years to be help after FA draft for those who want to change, order would be same as FA draft.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat