GMKL CHAT:

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ninersphan

Re: GMKL General Managers Keeper League Chat

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 2:54 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:Its no different than trading away players for future value. Adam Laroche and Carlos Ruiz, I could have certainly kept to help team this year, but I am looking towards the next year and beyond. Since they are on my roster, I should be able to play who I want, as does anyone else. Its not just me that have traded away talent that could help them win this year for the future. Its no different that one not trading for a superstar at the beginning of the season to try and win this year. What's next, determine what settings you have to use for HAL? Like Ninersphan stated it happens all the time in MLB, and they don't get criticized for it.

I understand the issue, perhaps there should be some rules put into place that draft order is based on most wins by a team not in playoffs? Not that I would be for that rule as I see the way the league is setup is fine. Maybe a salary cap floor should be implemented at all times?

Actually draft order is based on CUMULATIVE overall records, that is the cumulative record for the team for the entire history of the league not just the past season. Your record this year gets added to AFDickie's( the guy you replaced based on draft order this year) record, playoffs have nothing to do with it.

lakeviewdave

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 2:57 pm

That's a good rule, can't say I even looked at them, and nice to know who I took over for, didn't know that either.

Ninersphan

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 3:04 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:That's a good rule, can't say I even looked at them, and nice to know who I took over for, didn't know that either.

That information will be coming with the next roster I send out. I'm S-L-O-W-L-Y getting it in order.

Ninersphan

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Just bringing this to the front of the thread...

blsmith7 wrote:
lakeviewdave wrote:They are on the bench waiting to be traded.

I have never heard of that before in Strat (or in MLB for that matter).

If they are on your bench waiting to be traded for the last 4 days, that means that you are not putting you best roster out there for 12 games. I believe this has serious implications for the competitiveness of the league and is not in the best interests of the league.

Again, just my opinion, but they should be on your roster competing until a trade is consummated and confirmed.

There is no specific rule against what lakeviewdave is doing, rule 9 from the general rules:

9) There are no specific rules against "roster dumping." Owners no longer in a pennant race can use their best judgement in determining the makeup of their team, provided that all general roster size limits are met. However, it is expected that all owners will act in the best interests of the game.

I do realize it also says "that owners act in the best interest of the game". I would simply contend that so long as he isn't moving guys back and forth to give one (or more) teams an advantage, he's free to set his line up any way he chooses. I haven't checked, but at this point in the season he should only be facing divisional opponents who will all see the same pitchers. Frankly it's no different than if those 3 players were all hurt, which is why I have no problem with it.

And it happens all the time in the MLB, teams out of the race start playing young guys from the minors to start getting them some experience, I believe there was a game the other night involving one of the 3 NL Central playoff teams, where the team they were playing only started 3 of their regulars and lost, which given how close that race was certianly affected the outcome.

blsmith7

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 8:38 pm

I respectfully disagree with the above responses. I completely understand about trading once you're out of the playoff picture to try to improve for the future. What I completely disagree with is choosing not to play your best players. I have always played my best players and never thrown games. If you trade players for prospects, they are no longer an option for you to play, but you still put your best lineup out there. What is happening here is that the best players on the roster are not being utilized. When MLB teams play youngsters, it is because they are trying to find out what they can do. We are not doing that here. We know what they have done. This is in my opinion, not "in the best interest of the league" as I interpret it.

It is very simple and basic for me - black and white - play your best team all the time. I guess I have to adjust my thinking for this new world.

KEVINEHLE

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 8:58 pm

I agree with blSMith. Play your best lineups and best pitchers regardless of who was traded. Leaving them on the bench while a potential trade is in the works is also not something I agree with either, even though the owner is trying to make sure the players are healthy for the trade.

Palmtana

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 9:23 pm

The "Last 10 Games" for the players show that in the past 50 games or so Greinke has 1 start, Felix - 2 and Fien - 3 appearances. That's being a bit cautious in trying to ensure their health. :?

STEVE F

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Palmtana wrote:The "Last 10 Games" for the players show that in the past 50 games or so Greinke has 1 start, Felix - 2 and Fien - 3 appearances. That's being a bit cautious in trying to ensure their health. :?

How do you view the last 10 games?

lakeviewdave

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 pm

I have no problem playing my so called best players everyone should do the same and this should be monitored daily. Who else on waiver wire shouldn't be? Funny no one else mentioned so everyone has their best 25-28 players correct?

Smitty have you checked all teams or just mine?

blsmith7

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Click on their cards in FA available page and scroll down.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat