Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

madal

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:35 pm

sociophil wrote:Additional questions regarding supplemental FA period-can you only submit bids if you have dropped 1-3 players, or have less than 40 on your roster? Or can teams with no drops also bid? My reading of Section 11.02 indicates you must announce drop(s) prior to participating, or have less than 40 on your roster per Section 11.03 in order to participate.

You must announce drops prior to the start of the supplemental FA signing period.

Asked another way, since Phil, Oldman, and Paul long aren't dropping anyone, they cannot participate in supplemental free agency even if they have cap space, unless they have a current roster shortage?

sociophil

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:50 pm

Correct. You must have a roster spot available and at least $500,000 of cap space available.

sociophil

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:53 pm

making sure I get this right. anyone dropped for supp draft still counts on that team's salary cap. so...since he listed his I'll use Paul Kiggins as an example. He is dropping Bradley and Maton. They will still count 1.78 and 0.71 against his $140 cap for this year. Still plenty of room for him as he is only using about $131 M. And they both were only under 1 year contracts so no damage against next year's cap. But....hypothetical if he had chosen to drop Tyler Chatwood he would still have to pay him his $2.56 M this year and next year since he was signed to a 2-year deal. Seems like this is pretty obvious but just want confirmation that I'm understanding the supp draft correctly.

This is correct.

oldmansmith2

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 10:02 pm

Phil can you promote a prospect to your 40 man roster before he has a SOM card? I know you would have to have a spot open and his service time would then begin, but are we at least allowed to do it? With no minor leagues I'm thinking some of the younger prospects might not get called up before our 3 years of control are up. This is the first keeper I've been in that had prospects so just wondering how this works.

sociophil

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 10:26 pm

Phil can you promote a prospect to your 40 man roster before he has a SOM card? I know you would have to have a spot open and his service time would then begin, but are we at least allowed to do it? With no minor leagues I'm thinking some of the younger prospects might not get called up before our 3 years of control are up. This is the first keeper I've been in that had prospects so just wondering how this works.

Yes you can.

paul j kiggins

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 11:02 pm

is their a list of available players for the supplementary /FA draft?

Paul_Long71

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 1:27 am

Phil,

Many keeper leagues are giving an additional year of control for prospects since there was no minor league season this year. Are we looking into anything like that or just go as if they had a season and it counted as a year.

Really don't care either way, just want to know as soon as possible so it doesn't come up later....could effect how some people treat the supp draft I suppose.

thanks,
Paul

sociophil

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Many keeper leagues are giving an additional year of control for prospects since there was no minor league season this year. Are we looking into anything like that or just go as if they had a season and it counted as a year.

Really don't care either way, just want to know as soon as possible so it doesn't come up later....could effect how some people treat the supp draft I suppose.

What is MLB doing? Is the service time clock still running or are they not counting this season?

teamnasty

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 11:39 pm

Yes MLB is applying a service time formula for games played this season

Paul_Long71

PostFri Aug 21, 2020 12:29 am

mainly need to know what mlb is doing with the non-major leaguers. what are they doing with AA and A ball guys. That's who we are talking about. Fine with counting this as a year, just want to know since we need to plan.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat