The "Original" 24 TKL

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Roscodog

Re: The "Original" 24 TKL

PostWed Dec 20, 2023 9:15 pm

joshflanagan wrote:1. The Turtle - Yes
2. Rant - (I don't care much) Yes
3. DcIrish- (I am kinda in Rant's mindframe) - Yes?
4. Rosco - No (but it league votes yes it should not take place until 2025, should know of rule change going into season)
5. blsmith7 - Yes
6. seanreflex - no
7. joshflanagan - no

1. The Turtle - Yes
2. Rant - Yes
3. DcIrish - Yes
4. Rosco - No
5. blsmith7 - Yes
6. seanreflex - no
7. toshiro - No
8. Terry101- No
9. joshflanagan - no

Zizka

PostThu Dec 21, 2023 2:25 am

seanreflex wrote:
Zizka wrote:Only been here a couple of seasons. What is meant by "unleashed?" Sorry if that sounds stupid...

When Strat releases the cards in the spring, they release two sets. One is the "standard" set, the other the "unleashed" set.

The "Standard" set usually requires hitters to have a certain number of AB to qualify for a card. I don't know the exact #. Same thing for pitchers - require a certain # of IP to qualify for a card.

The "Unleashed" set will include players who have far fewer AB or IP in the set. It expands the # of available players, and can often create a player card that is lethal because the player only has 30 AB but happened to absolutely rake for those 8 games he played. Or a pitcher who has 3 really good outings, has a total of 14 IP and an ERA of 0.87, and he gets carded in Unleashed.

One of the unique things about TKL is that it's never been an "Unleashed" set - the available talent is less, so you need to work much harder and be much more lucky to rebuild a team in this league. I'm still trying after 4 years to rebuild. It ain't easy - but that's primarily my fault - I need to make better trades!!

Hope that helps.

Sean

Oh you mean like the "extra players" you can add to your purchased in-hand set when you buy the newest cards (yes I still play in a face-to-face league after more than 50 years of strat-o). Thanks for the clarification!

I've noticed that the online set that is released never seems to contain these extra player cards, so it is being proposed that we can draft from players who were on a big league roster last year even if they are not issued cards? Or can we only draft from the listed players strat-o selects when you receive a new set and it has the extra players' names listed (which would mean everyone would have to purchase a new set every year so they could see the list or else have someone duplicate the list for everyone?).

So my vote may depend on the answer to; Exactly what talent pool is opened to us if we can add "unleashed" players to the draft? Anyone who had so much as a cup of coffee in the Bigs, or just the players strat-o lists as "extra"?

toshiro

PostThu Dec 21, 2023 10:51 am

Zizka -- Go to the link that Rant sent: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/playerset/browse/2019

Click on 'Download 2019 season player list as Excel spreadsheet' -- the blue guys are the talent pool that's opened.

You can click the 'View player set:' box, pick '2019 season Unleashed' and view those specific cards if you like.

Zizka

PostThu Dec 21, 2023 12:14 pm

toshiro wrote:Zizka -- Go to the link that Rant sent: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/playerset/browse/2019

Click on 'Download 2019 season player list as Excel spreadsheet' -- the blue guys are the talent pool that's opened.

You can click the 'View player set:' box, pick '2019 season Unleashed' and view those specific cards if you like.

Wow, I had no idea there even was such a link. Thank you! I see.

Okay, I got it (takes me a while but I get there. I never expected to look this dumb at 70 but then again the stairs aren't getting any easier either :D )

Then, to the issue. I've actually been satisfied with the progress my team has made since I took it over when the franchise was a squatter at the gates of hell. Slow, yes, but look at my starting rotation after two years. It's getting there. And, tbh, the way this league is set up as is I think it has a *real* feel when one is in a rebuilding phase. It has sent me back to the published reports on players and prospects and I've had a blast trying to find prospects. For once I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about when my buds and I are at a Sox game and we're getting clobbered so hard we start talking baseball instead of watching Reinsdorf's carnage. And when one comes through, like Bobby Miller for me this coming season (and Ricky Tiedemann soon), there's a sense that for once in my life I actually know what the f I'm talking about. :)

In my small amount of time here I've come to understand that the prospect draft can be more important than the FA draft, especially in my situation, and if you don't want immediate results.

I'm going to put my vote down below but I can go either way. I think if we institute the "unleashed" availables
we should do it when no one's draft choices have been traded away already. I don't trade a lot of picks, but if I had and then discovered the talent pool is being expanded I'd feel a bit squirrelly about not having all the proper information when I made the trade. So I'm going to vote "no," but would vote "yes" if we start it in a year when everyone still has their original picks in hand.

So it's a "no" for now, but conditional. I would vote "yes" in future if we know it's coming.

1. The Turtle - Yes
2. Rant - Yes
3. DcIrish - Yes
4. Rosco - No
5. blsmith7 - Yes
6. seanreflex - no
7. toshiro - No
8. Terry101- No
9. joshflanagan - no
10. Zizka - no

(thanks for everybody's patience)

mlbphan

PostSun Dec 24, 2023 12:30 am

Wow, I had no idea there even was such a link. Thank you! I see.

Okay, I got it (takes me a while but I get there. I never expected to look this dumb at 70 but then again the stairs aren't getting any easier either :D )

Then, to the issue. I've actually been satisfied with the progress my team has made since I took it over when the franchise was a squatter at the gates of hell. Slow, yes, but look at my starting rotation after two years. It's getting there. And, tbh, the way this league is set up as is I think it has a *real* feel when one is in a rebuilding phase. It has sent me back to the published reports on players and prospects and I've had a blast trying to find prospects. For once I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about when my buds and I are at a Sox game and we're getting clobbered so hard we start talking baseball instead of watching Reinsdorf's carnage. And when one comes through, like Bobby Miller for me this coming season (and Ricky Tiedemann soon), there's a sense that for once in my life I actually know what the f I'm talking about. :)

In my small amount of time here I've come to understand that the prospect draft can be more important than the FA draft, especially in my situation, and if you don't want immediate results.

I'm going to put my vote down below but I can go either way. I think if we institute the "unleashed" availables
we should do it when no one's draft choices have been traded away already. I don't trade a lot of picks, but if I had and then discovered the talent pool is being expanded I'd feel a bit squirrelly about not having all the proper information when I made the trade. So I'm going to vote "no," but would vote "yes" if we start it in a year when everyone still has their original picks in hand.

So it's a "no" for now, but conditional. I would vote "yes" in future if we know it's coming.

1. The Turtle - Yes
2. Rant - Yes
3. DcIrish - Yes
4. Rosco - No
5. blsmith7 - Yes
6. seanreflex - no
7. toshiro - No
8. Terry101- No
9. joshflanagan - no
10. Zizka - no
11. mlbphan- no

STEVEKORTE

PostTue Dec 26, 2023 12:44 am

1. The Turtle - Yes
2. Rant - Yes
3. DcIrish - Yes
4. Rosco - No
5. blsmith7 - Yes
6. seanreflex - no
7. toshiro - No
8. Terry101- No
9. joshflanagan - no
10. Zizka - no
11. mlbphan- no
12. sjkorte - Yes

I voted Yes, but I don’t have a strong opinion about either choice.

Roscodog

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 6:21 pm

Roscodog wrote:Whit Merrifield available for trade.

Interested in free agent,prospect picks, or prospect

kurtz2001

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 9:39 pm

STEVEKORTE wrote:1. The Turtle - Yes
2. Rant - Yes
3. DcIrish - Yes
4. Rosco - No
5. blsmith7 - Yes
6. seanreflex - no
7. toshiro - No
8. Terry101- No
9. joshflanagan - no
10. Zizka - no
11. mlbphan- no
12. sjkorte - Yes
13. kurtz2001 - No

I voted Yes, but I don’t have a strong opinion about either choice.

calbatross

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 5:55 pm

Hi, all,

Sorry for my lack of input on the recent discussion. I am pretty much checked out of Strat for this year's off season. I'll try to catch up on the conversations I have missed, but don't expect to dedicate much attention or chime in until after the ratings guide drops, which should be around 2 weeks from now.

I hope everyone had good holidays. Happy New Year and talk to you soon.

-Cal

Asherdad

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 1:29 pm

Turtle,
Great question. Thank you for bringing up the issue. Let me start by saying I think the unleash cards are a lot of fun as they provide an exciting random issue to this game. I think it is a great aspect to redraft style leagues. However, I personally do not like the randomness in this style of league. So for me it is a no

1. The Turtle - Yes
2. Rant - Yes
3. DcIrish - Yes
4. Rosco - No
5. blsmith7 - Yes
6. seanreflex - no
7. toshiro - No
8. Terry101- No
9. joshflanagan - no
10. Zizka - no
11. mlbphan- no
12. sjkorte - Yes