NL Round-Robin :: Season 12

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

andycummings65

Re: NL Round-Robin

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Be assigned gaylord Perry. Im traveling right now and can't think of everybody, but i think this is the way to go

bontomn

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 3:19 pm

I think you could leave Gaylord out of the mix. Just off the top of my head (I've lived in San Diego for more than 30 years), you've got Pat Dobson, Earl Wilson, Mike Caldwell, Rollie Fingers, Mickey Lolich, Bruce Hurst, Calvin Schiraldi, Mark Langston and David Wells as pitchers, not to mention a number of NLers who might not make the cut on their teams. Then add in the likes of Merv Rettenmund, Gene Tenace, Sixto Lezcano, Fred McGriff, Tony Fernandez, Bret Boone and Jeff Cirillo, and you've got yourself a pretty decent team.

I'd also like to keep a good guy like Meat in the league, as well as prevent others from dropping out when they draw the Padres.

I'm still wrestling with whom to leave off my Pirates team. It seems a shame not to give owners of the expansion teams the same kind of headaches.

tcochran

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 3:24 pm

OK, unless there are objections, let's allow the four expansion teams to autodraft AL players who have played on their teams -- as long as they are NOT carded in the NL, right?

Then during waivers and later, those four teams can then draft AL players who have played on their teams, whether they are carded in the NL or not.

andycummings65

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Tom I just mentioned Perry because Randy Jones is their only oer 8m starter, which only Caldwell is 8m among that group

andycummings65

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Of course Perry will probably always be left off the giants roster

tomwistar

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 3:54 pm

You guys are forgetting the Rockies ... Dale Murphy played for the Rockies at the end of his career, and I'm sure there are some other decent cards for them too (Galaragga and Burks come to mind).

Whatever is okay, I guess ... but just to point this out, the expansion teams in the AL right now are more than holding their own against the older franchises. The Twins team is 29-22 out of division, the Rangers are above .500, the other two teams are muddling along but not getting killed. The Twins team demonstrates that a good manager, making smart use of his park, can beat the Yankees-type teams.

Part of the interesting challenge of this league is trying to do more with less -- and playing guys you would never otherwise see. Like on my Royals team, Al Cowens has been a nice surprise.

If we let teams use AL stars that we see all of the time in regular leagues -- Rickey Henderson, etc. -- it really dilutes that concept.

If we go the AL players route, I think there should be a limit -- maybe two players per team.

Looking through Rockies and Padres players on Baseball Reference, the only really glaring weakness on that team is the lack of SP. Do the other three expansion teams even have those huge holes? They look pretty solid to me already -- is it really wise to give them access to all of the AL players too?
Last edited by tomwistar on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andycummings65

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Not forgetting Murphy but I would personally rather raid AL cards to help them out than split up NL rosters

MEAT

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 4:15 pm

I'd go for that if we agree, but that means switching to AL/NL and starting league over if teams have already entered

tcochran

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 4:40 pm

tomwistar is correct, about the expansion clubs doing OK in the AL Round-Robin. I was concerned about the Rangers at the start, but I've been able to move them to only 2 GB at the moment.

For the NL, the Mets and Astros are probably OK as is, and the Expos have potential, even though there are limited selections for them. The Padres definitely have it the worst.

Only a few managers have commented on this. Any thoughts from others?

FRANKMANSUETO

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 4:44 pm

I am all for helping the Padres. They are a motley crew that needs some help.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat