Grumpy Old Men Keeper League (GOML)Chat_Sup. draft Cuts here

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

geekor

Re: Grumpy Old Men Keeper League (GOML)Chat_Sup. draft Cuts

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 7:29 pm

Are you allowed to make 21 cuts? I thought 15 was max?

ANNUAL SPRING FREE AGENT DRAFT
1. A non -serpentine free agent draft of at least 10, and up to 15 rounds, will be held each year shortly after the release of SOMO cards.
2. Draft order is determined by cumulative win/loss records from the previous year. Worst to first, NFL style.
3. All owners must drop enough players to bring their rosters to a maximum of 30 players allowing for 10 draft picks; Owners can drop below 30 players, but must not have less than 25 players prior to the draft.
4. Player drops must be announced prior to the beginning of the free agent draft.
5. All owners must have a full 40-man roster upon completion of the annual spring free agent draft.
6. There is no clock for round 1 of each annual free agent draft. All subsequent rounds will operate with a 3-hour clock, 10am-10pm EST, Monday thru Friday. The Clock will be turned off over the weekend, but there is a strong preference for all owners to try and make timely picks over the weekend.
7. Prospect promotions and drops must be done prior to the start of the free agent draft; after
7a. Dropping 10 to 15 regular roster players and
7b. After all expiring prospects have been either promoted or dropped and
7c. After all non-expiring prospects have been promoted, dropped, or unchanged
8. No manager may have a roster of more than 30 players or more than 10 prospects after all drops and promotions have been made before the free agent draft.
9. Uncarded players are undraftable. if you have them on your team you can keep them, But you cant draft them.

sociophil

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Geekor is correct. You can drop up to 15 and must have a minimum of 25 players on your 40 man roster after drops and adds.

mlbphan, you will need to revise your drops and adds.

STEVE F

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 8:26 pm

In fairness to Rick, he wasn't asked to make a drop when I traded him Sano and Trivino for Maeda. He should have been told to keep his roster at 40 or less , rather than letting it balloon to 42.
I think this was largely due to being "rudderless" after HK left us (one could argue that we were rudderless about halfway into the inaugural draft)

geekor

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 8:31 pm

STEVE F wrote:In fairness to Rick, he wasn't asked to make a drop when I traded him Sano and Trivino for Maeda. He should have been told to keep his roster at 40 or less , rather than letting it balloon to 42.
I think this was largely due to being "rudderless" after HK left us (one could argue that we were rudderless about halfway into the inaugural draft)

I agree on getting 2 extra drops then, but 21 is a bit much, shave it down to 17 then?

STEVE F

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 8:36 pm

geekor wrote:
STEVE F wrote:In fairness to Rick, he wasn't asked to make a drop when I traded him Sano and Trivino for Maeda. He should have been told to keep his roster at 40 or less , rather than letting it balloon to 42.

I agree on getting 2 extra drops then, but 21 is a bit much, shave it down to 17 then?

Seems fair to me :)

sociophil

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 8:50 pm

geekor wrote:

STEVE F wrote:
In fairness to Rick, he wasn't asked to make a drop when I traded him Sano and Trivino for Maeda. He should have been told to keep his roster at 40 or less , rather than letting it balloon to 42.

Seems fair to me

Sounds like a reasonable solution. If this is okay with you Rick, then go ahead and adjust your drops and adds.

Phil

mlbphan

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 10:28 pm

thanx guys.

will do.

I do think the rule is a little strange in that a guy that has no prospect promotions is allowed to cut down to 25. yet another guy with prospect promotions is only allowed to cut to 25 but then must make any prospect promotions that may be necessary, unless they choose to cut the prospect(s). so they’re not allowed to draft up to 15 FA picks because of those promotions which, in a way, is almost penalizing them for having the prospect(s). at the same time on the other side of this rule we just had someone cut to 10 & was going to promote three or four prospects thereby having 6 or 7 picks. again though the other side of this rule states you must cut to a minimum of 10 for the draft so this individual had to go back & find 3 or 4 more cuts to promote those 3 or 4 prospects & have the required 10 minimum picks for the draft.

my two unbalanced trades made this look worse than it should have been & that was totally my fault for not making the cut(s) at the time of those two trades. I know better from other leagues. all I was looking to do was be at 25 (with prospect promotions) at the time of the draft thereby allowing for 15 FA picks. I know this was rather wordy but does everyone see what I mean here??

anyway I will adjust my cuts as necessary.

thanx,
Rick
mlbphan

BTW.........I might just be living up to being a Grumpy Old Man

STEVE F

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 12:01 pm

Edited my list, added another cut

Ninersphan

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 1:33 pm

mlbphan wrote:thanx guys.

will do.

I do think the rule is a little strange in that a guy that has no prospect promotions is allowed to cut down to 25. yet another guy with prospect promotions is only allowed to cut to 25 but then must make any prospect promotions that may be necessary, unless they choose to cut the prospect(s). so they’re not allowed to draft up to 15 FA picks because of those promotions which, in a way, is almost penalizing them for having the prospect(s). at the same time on the other side of this rule we just had someone cut to 10 & was going to promote three or four prospects thereby having 6 or 7 picks. again though the other side of this rule states you must cut to a minimum of 10 for the draft so this individual had to go back & find 3 or 4 more cuts to promote those 3 or 4 prospects & have the required 10 minimum picks for the draft.

my two unbalanced trades made this look worse than it should have been & that was totally my fault for not making the cut(s) at the time of those two trades. I know better from other leagues. all I was looking to do was be at 25 (with prospect promotions) at the time of the draft thereby allowing for 15 FA picks. I know this was rather wordy but does everyone see what I mean here??

anyway I will adjust my cuts as necessary.

thanx,
Rick
mlbphan

BTW.........I might just be living up to being a Grumpy Old Man

Speaking as a guy that had a hand in writing these rules and tweaking them in other leagues, they are trying to strike a balance between many different needs. It’s a keeper league, so by definition you don’t want managers to dump most of their roster every year that defeats the concept of it being a keeper. Second is the need to make managers make tough choices. If promoting prospects is a simple as just getting rid of bad cards from year to year there are no tough choices. That’s also why you have to promote prospects two years after drafting them. The early commissioners who wrote the rules wanted the managers to have to make tough choices about hanging on to uncarded prospects and veteran players which has the added benefit of stocking the free agent draft in the spring.
So the rules have many needs to serve and balancing them all is tricky. In the leagues I’ve run I’ve gone and made changes to the number rounds in prospect and supplemental drafts and the number of cuts needed to be made all in an effort to balance the need for having keepers while still allowing for prospects and keeping the spring draft relevant.

chasenally

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 7:01 pm

Drops

Postion Players

Lowrie , Jed 2B
Dozier, Brian 2B
Davidson, Matt 3B
Quinn Roman OF
Slater, Austin OF
Zunino, Mike C
Swinhart, Blake C

Pitchers
SP
Hellickson, Jeremy
Lyles, Jordan
Valasquez, Vince

RP
Dominguez, Seranthony
Ferguson, Caleb
Claudio, Alex

Promotions
Mateo. Jorge IN
Cease, Dylan SP

Cuts
Welker, Colton IN
Richards, Trevor P (This guy should have been on my roster last year.)

38 + 2 Promotions = 40 13 drops = 27 Total
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat