D2D trash talk and draft comments thread

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

bigmahon

Re: D2D trash talk and draft comments thread

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 1:38 pm

Some leagues force you to promote or drop a prospect after 2 years, which helps to keep the annual prospect draft at 4 rounds in spite of a 10 prospect maximum

Paul_Long71

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 2:11 pm

that's what this league does too, big.... make sure we all read the rules. after 2 years you must promote or drop a prospect. Here they are cut/pasted from the google doc that has everything.

Prospect Rules
1)Prospects are defined as any player signed by a MLB team who has not appeared in a MLB game.
2) Teams may have a total of 6 prospects .
3) Propects remain prospects for 2 years. After two years prospects must be promoted or cut. i.e. drafted in spring of 2016 must be promoted or cut in spring of 2018.
4)The 2 year clock follows the player and is unaffected by trades
5) Prospects who are cut will go to the Free Agent Pool if they have played in the MLB; those who have not are eligible to be drafted as prospects again and receive a new 2 year window.
6) A four round Prospect Draft will be held immediately following the Free Agent draft.
7) Players signed after the Free Agent Draft thread has been posted are not eligible for that years draft.

piloneus382

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:that's what this league does too, big.... make sure we all read the rules. after 2 years you must promote or drop a prospect. Here they are cut/pasted from the google doc that has everything.

Prospect Rules
1)Prospects are defined as any player signed by a MLB team who has not appeared in a MLB game.
3) Propects remain prospects for 2 years. After two years prospects must be promoted or cut. i.e. drafted in spring of 2016 must be promoted or cut in spring of 2018.
5) Prospects who are cut will go to the Free Agent Pool if they have played in the MLB; those who have not are eligible to be drafted as prospects again and receive a new 2 year window.
6) A four round Prospect Draft will be held immediately following the Free Agent draft.
7) Players signed after the Free Agent Draft thread has been posted are not eligible for that years draft.

a) If I read this correctly any player drafted in this years draft who then plays in 2016 is no longer a prospect whether they are carded or not and therefore can not be kept in a prospect spot.

b) I would have a problem changing next years draft to 2 rounds. I made my first 2 picks specifically expecting that they are players (Korean 1b on Min and Sea) who are going to have cards next year thus freeing up 2 slots.

c) for the supplemental draft can I draft a player who plays his first game in 2016? ex. Bal OF Joey Rickard was a rule 5 pick so he will probably make the team but is yet to play in a game as of right now.

bigmahon

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:that's what this league does too, big.... make sure we all read the rules. after 2 years you must promote or drop a prospect. Here they are cut/pasted from the google doc that has everything.

Prospect Rules

Great. The conversation going on prior to my post led me to believe otherwise! Problem solved! :lol:

calbatross

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 3:05 pm

piloneus382 wrote:

Prospect Rules

a) If I read this correctly any player drafted in this years draft who then plays in 2016 is no longer a prospect whether they are carded or not and therefore can not be kept in a prospect spot.

b) I would have a problem changing next years draft to 2 rounds. I made my first 2 picks specifically expecting that they are players (Korean 1b on Min and Sea) who are going to have cards next year thus freeing up 2 slots.

c) for the supplemental draft can I draft a player who plays his first game in 2016? ex. Bal OF Joey Rickard was a rule 5 pick so he will probably make the team but is yet to play in a game as of right now.

Rule 3 in the Supplemental draft rules states: 3) Owners may drop up to 3 players and replace them with any player who is not on a roster and has appeared in a MLB game.

So, reading that, I would say yes. However, is there a date cutoff for eligibility? I mean, what if we are half a round into the untimed portion of the draft and an unrostered player is scheduled to make his big league debut in a couple days... can a team sandbag and not make their pick for a couple days in order to snag that player?

However remote the possibility, I prefer to close up loopholes now than dicker about it later.

Paul_Long71

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 3:07 pm

good point I'd say it should be "any player who has appeared in an mlb game by the start of the Supp. draft..."

hveed

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 3:10 pm

calbatross wrote:
piloneus382 wrote:

Prospect Rules

Rule 3 in the Supplemental draft rules states: 3) Owners may drop up to 3 players and replace them with any player who is not on a roster and has appeared in a MLB game.

So, reading that, I would say yes. However, is there a date cutoff for eligibility? I mean, what if we are half a round into the untimed portion of the draft and an unrostered player is scheduled to make his big league debut in a couple days... can a team sandbag and not make their pick for a couple days in order to snag that player?

However remote the possibility, I prefer to close up loopholes now than dicker about it later.

If we amend that to carded players versus "appeared in a MLB game" it would fix the issue.

calbatross

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 3:11 pm

I'd be all for making it "carded players" but that is a pretty significant change to the rules as written. Might require a vote? or at least a Ghost/V-G ruling.

Either way, I won't put up a fuss :)

Paul_Long71

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 8:32 pm

ed, that allard pick could put you in a tough spot. he's not predicted to arrive in the bigs til 2019, 2018 at very earliest. in spring of 18 you will have to either move him to your 30-man roster or dump him. (rules are only 2 years as a prospect)

love the pick just think it's tough due to his youth and eta being mid 2018 to 2019.

then again, they're all prospects, so we'll see.

edwardneal63

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 8:43 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:ed, that allard pick could put you in a tough spot. he's not predicted to arrive in the bigs til 2019, 2018 at very earliest. in spring of 18 you will have to either move him to your 30-man roster or dump him. (rules are only 2 years as a prospect)

Consider all my prospect picks this year to be like tickets for a lottery. Maybe one will payoff. If a drafted prospect still has not appeared in a MLB game after the two years, can the drafted prospect still be moved to the 30-man roster?
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat