NLD35 - The NLD Lives on!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gbrookes

Re: NLD35 - The NLD Lives on!

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 7:34 am

^^^^

Congrats Semper for winning our Central Division!

My Jets disappeared with a whimper after a great start.

Nice team Semper! Well done!!!

:)
Geoff

Corky

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Stoney18 wrote:Sweep at Corky's place gives the Phanatics a little breathing room. I haven't had much luck building teams for pitchers parks but may have found a formula that works.

Good SP is obvious but I tried to find high K pitchers at the same time. Figured if more outs came by strike out there would be fewer runners advanced. That seemed to work since we're leading the leading in ERA, Whip and K's.

Offensively I tried to find players with high number of hits and total bases. I'm surprised to be 5th in runs scored but when you look at extra base hits this team is 3rd. If you had net stolen bases to extra base hits the team is 2nd, just 1 behind Smokey.

I may have just lucked out into a winning team. May have to try it again and see if it works as well.

Well another sweep by Stoney last night. Just can't beat him this year. 8-16 against him and 80-52 against everyone else. :(

Stoney I was noticing that about your team...you have a great knack for stringing hits together and an incredible amount of doubles. Almost like Chinese torcher for pitchers. :lol: You've put together a very strong team. I will say that Verlander, Medina, and even Capuano in his limited innings have pitched well above their sim results, contributing to that great team ERA you have.

Semper Gumby

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 6:53 am

gbrookes wrote:^^^^

Congrats Semper for winning our Central Division!

My Jets disappeared with a whimper after a great start.

Nice team Semper! Well done!!!

:)
Geoff

What are you saying? That I won something? Geez! What can I say?

well, a good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

joethejet

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Ok, Given the new injury information I have done the following calcs. The projected injuries takes your "starters" for each side (customized for projected LH/RH opposing SPs) and uses the calcs from here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=632610

I've discovered that I was undervaluing high injury players in this process. That will be fixed for the next go-round. This does NOT control for the fact that only one catcher can be lost at a time. Could explain why AT's numbers are a little low, probably really aren't given the catcher situation.

The teams are outside the STD Deviation (26.6) of the group:
Hawk, Jeep, Stoney and Semper getting penalized and Corky taking advantage.

If you take half the std dev then AT a bit less.

The rest are all very close.

I will add this to the "luck factor" calcs. I'll try to grab the stats today before they all go away with the end of the season.

Code: Select all
          Inju  Proj Inj Dif
Hawk...   151   88   63
Jeep...   149   119   30
Stoney.   159   132   27
Semper.   123   96   27
Smokey.   142   133   9
JTJ....   122   118   4
Gbrooke   130   129   1
ChaseNy   131   133   -2
BigA...   120   128   -8
Spider.   85   95   -10
AT.....   157   176   -19
Corky..   62   100   -38

Spider 67

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 3:25 pm

joethejet wrote:Ok, Given the new injury information I have done the following calcs. The projected injuries takes your "starters" for each side (customized for projected LH/RH opposing SPs) and uses the calcs from here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=632610

I've discovered that I was undervaluing high injury players in this process. That will be fixed for the next go-round. This does NOT control for the fact that only one catcher can be lost at a time. Could explain why AT's numbers are a little low, probably really aren't given the catcher situation.

The teams are outside the STD Deviation (26.6) of the group:
Hawk, Jeep, Stoney and Semper getting penalized and Corky taking advantage.

If you take half the std dev then AT a bit less.

The rest are all very close.

I will add this to the "luck factor" calcs. I'll try to grab the stats today before they all go away with the end of the season.

Code: Select all
          Inju  Proj Inj Dif
Hawk...   151   88   63
Jeep...   149   119   30
Stoney.   159   132   27
Semper.   123   96   27
Smokey.   142   133   9
JTJ....   122   118   4
Gbrooke   130   129   1
ChaseNy   131   133   -2
BigA...   120   128   -8
Spider.   85   95   -10
AT.....   157   176   -19
Corky..   62   100   -38

Nice work. I took one additional look at differences as a % of the expected injury number. The std dev was 27.1%. Hawk at 2.6 std deviations was killed. Semper was 1.0 std dev. unfavorable and Corky 1.4 on the good side.

Corky

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 4:00 pm

The more number crunching we do the more I realize there are just so many different factors interjecting into this game. Not only are they too numerous to count but its also impossible to quantify how MUCH each should count. I guess that's why we love this game and trying to come up with different strategies to win.

The puzzling stat about my team is with Greg Holland. Pretty much had an all-star season by anyone's standards. 2.30 ERA and .99 WHIP in 113 IP. As a matter of fact only Uehara had as many IP with a lower ERA. Combine this with the fact he pitched in Coors and I'd sign for that season any day. The puzzling part is he managed to blow 14 saves in the process which led the league. Pretty much gave up all his runs when he first came in and then was lights out. Repeatedly. I probably could have been neck and neck with Stoney if he had a more realistic number of blown saves compared to what his stats suggest.

Looking forward to the playoffs, and then creating another one for NLD 36!

Semper Gumby

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Luck has little to do with my team's success

I hired the Chinese hackers to fix the dice in my favor. :).

joethejet

PostSat Jun 21, 2014 1:29 am

Dang, NOW we sweep Spider! :shock: Needed one more win against him to tie and one more win against anyone else to make the playoffs. Tied with Semper for the fourth best record. Ironically we won two one run games tonight including an extra inning game! :roll: Ended 6-14 in extras. That was a killer. Of course, Chase was actually worse than me in extras. :shock: Speaking of Chase, sorry to hear you won't be back. It was great having you on board. :(

It should be noted that Stoney won 100 games in this NLD. Only the third time it's ever happened. He didn't get close to Jeep's record of 105 wins, but it's still an impressive performance.

GL to all the playoff teams. May the best team win it all! :) I have to say I'm rooting for Semper to "pop his cherry" as he's still looking for NLD Champ #1. If I had to bet I'd bet on Spider because beginner's luck has run strong in this league.

Spider 67

PostSat Jun 21, 2014 9:05 am

joethejet wrote:Dang, NOW we sweep Spider! :shock: Needed one more win against him to tie and one more win against anyone else to make the playoffs. Tied with Semper for the fourth best record. Ironically we won two one run games tonight including an extra inning game! :roll: Ended 6-14 in extras. That was a killer. Of course, Chase was actually worse than me in extras. :shock: Speaking of Chase, sorry to hear you won't be back. It was great having you on board. :(

It should be noted that Stoney won 100 games in this NLD. Only the third time it's ever happened. He didn't get close to Jeep's record of 105 wins, but it's still an impressive performance.

GL to all the playoff teams. May the best team win it all! :) I have to say I'm rooting for Semper to "pop his cherry" as he's still looking for NLD Champ #1. If I had to bet I'd bet on Spider because beginner's luck has run strong in this league.

I'm rooting for beginner's luck. :D

Corky

PostSat Jun 21, 2014 10:46 am

Congrats to Stoney on winning 100 games which is a great accomplishment in this league! For what its worth he also swept the top 3 spots of the Cy Young award, also pretty impressive!

Lets hope for a good round of playoffs. Congrats to Spider and Semper as well!
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat