sschu's Position Draft League chat thread-teamster to load

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

hackra

sschu's Position Draft League chat thread-teamster to load

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Picks by primary position - (alphabetical)

SP - Alexander, W. Johnson, Maddux, Martinez, Walsh
RP - Murray
catcher - Josh Gibson, Mauer
1b - Bagwell, Foxx, Gehrig, Frank Thomas
2b - Collins, Hornsby, Lajoie, Morgan
3b - Boggs, Brett
shortstop - Alex Rodriguez, Honus Wagner, Yount
Corner OF - Aaron, Barry Bonds, Heilmann, Reggie Jackson, Kiner ,Frank Robinson, Ruth, Ted Williams
CF - Charleston, Cobb, Mantle

edited last 2/19 correlating with page 7 of the draft page
Last edited by hackra on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.

hackra

Re: sschu's Position Draft League chat thread

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi all,
I created this as bigmahon suggested for chat, trade talks, and to update overall picks.
There are a lot of places we can jump ahead in our draft at this moment (I highlighted some in red on the other thread's page 4) but I suspect this will take some time so hopefully we can all be patient and have fun with it.

Remember that $140 million cap when drafting (the totals will creep up on you, and everyone will need to reserve some $ for backups).

best wishes to all!

mrharryc

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks, Doc - the chart you emplaced on the draft thread is most helpful.

I'm hoping we can gain some momentum here soon.

hackra

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks Harry.

I updated the top here and tried to mark the draft post with color to indicate where possible picks could be made.

FWIW

bontom, you can pick in the RF round when ready
Frank can select a CF (as long as none of his cards has RF as a primary position)
bmilner can select a 2b (as long as none of his cards has RF or CF as a primary position)
Michael Grimes can pick a ss (as long as RF,CF, 2b aren't a primary position on any of his cards)
sdajr76 can pick a LF (as long as RF,CF, 2b and ss aren't a primary position on any of his cards)
sdajr76 can pick any pitcher (as long as he does not have a hitter card with OF, 2b, ss as a primary position)
bigmahon --catcher (similar stipulations....)
jet40 -- 3b (similar stipulation......)
mrharryc --1b (similar......)

and Steve, It is a wonky setup, but I certainly can think of dumber ways to work it ;)

Frank Bailey

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm getting a headache here. So we made all the first picks at each position so no one would get screwed on their only first-round pick. Now we are back to cleaning out a position before allowing the general purpose rounds (two pitcher and one hitter rounds) to continue?

If so, then people with No. 2 and No. 3 picks in those rounds get screwed out of one or more of their potentially best draws. Example -- the person with the No. 2 pick in the third pitcher round gets about the 26th most desirable pitcher with his only No. 2 pick or the person with the No. 2 pick in the Any Hitter round (me in this case) gets roughly the 98th most desirable hitter. Helluva No. 2 pick.

bigmahon

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 3:52 am

Frank Bailey wrote:I'm getting a headache here. So we made all the first picks at each position so no one would get screwed on their only first-round pick. Now we are back to cleaning out a position before allowing the general purpose rounds (two pitcher and one hitter rounds) to continue?

If so, then people with No. 2 and No. 3 picks in those rounds get screwed out of one or more of their potentially best draws. Example -- the person with the No. 2 pick in the third pitcher round gets about the 26th most desirable pitcher with his only No. 2 pick or the person with the No. 2 pick in the Any Hitter round (me in this case) gets roughly the 98th most desirable hitter. Helluva No. 2 pick.

Agreed. We are doing this wrong, and I made this point yesterday to avoid this happening. Sschu agreed with me in his reply. I happen to be the "lucky" person holding the #2 pick in the 3rd P round. Pretty lame and unfair for me to end up with the 26th best pitcher with a #2 pick. We need to do the 3 P rounds in ordered succession (I.e. #2 pick in 1st P round, followed by #2 pick in 2nd P round, followed by #2 pick in 3rd P round, etc.). This is the only way to ensure no-one gets screwed. Sschu, please make a ruling on this.

bigmahon

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 am

Some of you appear to be confused about player eligibility as well. Both Simmons and Musial are eligible to be taken in the LF round. You just have to select the right card. Here is the relevant section from the rules post.

c. NOTE: The player selected in that position round MUST have his “Primary Position” as the first position listed on the SOM ATG player spreadsheet under the Fielding column. You CANNOT pick a player that is eligible to play at a position unless it is the first one listed. For example, Musial 48 is only eligible to be selected in the CF round. Musial 42 can be selected in the LF Round and Musial 46 and Musial 56 can be selected in 1B Rounds ONLY.

I don't believe these stipulations as posted by Hackra are accurate based on rule c. above:

Frank can select a CF (as long as none of his cards has RF as a primary position)
bmilner can select a 2b (as long as none of his cards has RF or CF as a primary position)
Michael Grimes can pick a ss (as long as RF,CF, 2b aren't a primary position on any of his cards)
sdajr76 can pick a LF (as long as RF,CF, 2b and ss aren't a primary position on any of his cards)
sdajr76 can pick any pitcher (as long as he does not have a hitter card with OF, 2b, ss as a primary position)

hackra

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 am

bigmahon wrote:Some of you appear to be confused about player eligibility as well. Both Simmons and Musial are eligible to be taken in the LF round. You just have to select the right card. Here is the relevant section from the rules post.

c. NOTE: The player selected in that position round MUST have his “Primary Position” as the first position listed on the SOM ATG player spreadsheet under the Fielding column. You CANNOT pick a player that is eligible to play at a position unless it is the first one listed. For example, Musial 48 is only eligible to be selected in the CF round. Musial 42 can be selected in the LF Round and Musial 46 and Musial 56 can be selected in 1B Rounds ONLY.

I don't believe these stipulations as posted by Hackra are accurate based on rule c. above:

bigmahon (and sschu) -
Huge apology if I have misinterpreted the rules and I certainly did not intend to undermine sschu's role as creator and arbitor of the league. The stipulations I mentioned above were based on MY understanding of the plans laid out in the initial postings. (I had thought at first we were going to go in sequential order rd 1-14, then I thought sschu made a post that all #1 picks were to go first, later he did post and change all the pitching rounds to Any pitcher).

For now, hearing you, FrankBailey, sdajr76 as seeing this very differently than I saw it, I am happy to just stick with my picks when they come around.

doc

bigmahon

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Doc, no problem! ;)

Would be good to get Sschu's thoughts on all of this before we keep cranking out the picks

jet40

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 3:18 pm

I am confused as well.
Next

Return to Individual League Chat