Dual Franchise League Season 46

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

jmdziuban2

Re: Dual Franchise League Season 46

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 10:30 pm

Question, and sorry if this holds things up. Regarding the FA Frenzy, are ALL undrafted players available from any franchise immediately after the draft?

jmdziuban2

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 1:36 am

Another question about drafting a free agent. If the free agent I place on my draft list is already taken, is the computer forbidden from drafting a player from a chosen franchise in place of the free agent?

I am sure this has been covered to not happen, yes?

Toine

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 6:50 am

Your free agent must come from one of the 6 franchises not picked. The player you choose, must have his only cards with that franchise.Using the Rangers as an example; Ivan Rodriguez is not available because he has a second card with the Marlins. Someone else chose the Marlins and thus they retain his rights. Mike Napoli would be an eligible FA however because his only card is with Texas. If you claim a FA and don’t get him, Strat will assign you another player. If you don’t like this player, simply drop him and claim another eligible FA off the waiver wire.

These rules are all spelled out clearly on page one of this league forum in the third post.

More importantly, would you please go into your teams front office and check off ready for the draft….the draft will not run until you do !!!

BDWard

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 12:14 pm

jmdziuban2 wrote:Question, and sorry if this holds things up. Regarding the FA Frenzy, are ALL undrafted players available from any franchise immediately after the draft?

Good morning JM. On behalf of all the returning managers, thanks for joining the DFL. This is a good group of people, so we hope that you like it here and stick around for a while.

Regarding the answer to your question, first and foremost, this is a carded franchise league, meaning that in order to use a player, he must have a card for your franchise. So the short answer to your question is that undrafted players with cards for other franchises are not available during the frenzy or during the preseason, with a couple of very limited exceptions, which I'll get into later.

If a player has cards ONLY for one franchise, that franchise retains exclusive rights to the player for the entire season, regardless of whether he is on the active roster. So, for example, since your franchises are the Expos/Nationals and Tigers, you own the exclusive rights to Kaline, Trammell, Whitaker, Bryce Harper, Raines and Larry Parrish, among others, since those players have cards for no other franchises. You don't even have to put them on your autodraft list, as no one else can ever claim them, and you can add them to your active roster at any time. For all players with cards only for your respective franchises, it's kind of like having a minor league system if they're not on your active roster.

For players with cards for 2 or more franchises, the highest priced card rule applies for the autodraft, frenzy and preseason, meaning that for such players, the franchise with the highest priced card owns the primary rights to that player. So, for example, since the Tigers own the highest priced card for Miguel Cabrera and the Expos own the highest priced card for Pedro Martinez, you own their primary rights to those players, while Florida owns the secondary rights to Cabrera, and Boston and the Mets own the secondary rights to Martinez. You continue to own the rights to Cabrera and Martinez for the entire preseason, whether or not they are on your active roster.

On the other hand, although Montreal has cards for Galarraga and Cliff Floyd, it has only secondary rights to those players, as Atlanta owns the highest priced card for Galarraga and Florida owns the highest priced card for Floyd. Thus, you can't put Floyd or Galarraga on your autodraft list or claim them during the frenzy or preseason, even if they are not on the active roster of the teams that own the primary rights to those players.

Note that you can use any card for any player of which you own the primary rights, even if it is a card for another franchise. So, for example, you can use the $8.95 mil Boston Martinez card if you like.

Regarding secondary rights to players, if the player is not on the active roster of the team with primary rights to the player, any team with secondary rights can claim that player AFTER completion of the first series of the season. So, if for some unknown reason you decide not to use Martinez, either Boston or the Mets could claim him after completion of the first series. By the same token, if Atlanta decided not to use Galarraga, either you or the Rockies could claim him after completion of the first series, since Montreal and Colorado both hold secondary rights to Galarraga.

Players to which a team has exclusive secondary rights can be added to the roster of the team with secondary rights with the permission of the team owning the primary rights. So, for example, the Dodgers own the primary rights to Kirk Gibson. Since you have secondary rights, if you wanted to use Gibson, you could ask the Dodgers for permission during the preseason, and if permission is granted, he can be added to your roster in the preseason and you wouldn't have to wait until completion of the first series to add Gibson to your active roster. The same would be true if the Mets asked permission to use Gary Carter and you said yes.

If two or more teams own the secondary rights to a player, the owner of the primary rights to the player cannot give permission to use the player to one team over another. So, for example, if you decided not to use Martinez or the Braves decided not to use Galarraga, the teams with secondary rights would race to claim those players upon completion of the first series.

Regarding eligible free agents from the unselected franchises (Brewers, Padres, Rockies, Rangers, Rays, White Sox), any player who does not have a card for one of the selected franchises can be claimed. So, for example, Juan Gonzalez is an eligible free agent, since the Rangers weren't selected and Gonzalez has no card for any other selected franchise. On the other hand, even though the White Sox were unselected, Chet lemon cannot be claimed, since the Tigers own his rights by having the highest priced Lemon card owned by a selected franchise. The same would be true of Larry Walker. Even though the Rockies own his highest priced card, since the Rockies were unclaimed, Montreal owns Walker's exclusive rights, since Montreal has the only other Walker cards.

Also, each team is allowed one trade. As stated elsewhere in this forum, there is no limit to the number of players included in the trade. Traded players need not have a card for the destination franchise. The players traded must be on the active roster of the teams making the trade. One cannot simply assign the rights to a player to another team. This makes trading during the season difficult. Traded players can be dropped, and the team who traded away the player would not be able to reclaim him. However, teams with secondary rights could claim the player if he was dropped by the destination team.

jmdziuban2 wrote:Another question about drafting a free agent. If the free agent I place on my draft list is already taken, is the computer forbidden from drafting a player from a chosen franchise in place of the free agent?

I am sure this has been covered to not happen, yes?

Toine wrote:Your free agent must come from one of the 6 franchises not picked. The player you choose, must have his only cards with that franchise. Using the Rangers as an example; Ivan Rodriguez is not available because he has a second card with the Marlins. Someone else chose the Marlins and thus they retain his rights. Mike Napoli would be an eligible FA however because his only card is with Texas. If you claim a FA and don’t get him, Strat will assign you another player. If you don’t like this player, simply drop him and claim another eligible FA off the waiver wire.....

JM, I'd like to add a little more to Dave's answer. If, for example, you put Juan Gonzalez on your autodraft list as your free agent, but don't get him, SOM will assign you the next highest priced player at Gonzalez's primary position. However, it's highly likely that another franchise will own the rights to that player. If such is the case, you'll have to drop that player and grab an eligible free agent during the frenzy or thereafter. Of course, if by some fluke the assigned player is an eligible free agent, you can keep him if you like.

I hope this helps. Good luck this league. - Bernie

jmdziuban2

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:33 pm

Yes, BDWard, that helps very much. Particularly in regard to the inability to draft players of secondary rights or add them before the first series of the season is completed. I am glad I did not mark myself as ready as some adjustments are needed.

I am still a bit fuzzy on the drafting of free agents. I know I only put one on my draft list as that is the league limit. So assume I want Yount instead of Trammell at SS. Yount only has cards for Milwaukee and thus is eligible to be drafted by any team. But what happens if I miss out on Yount and the computer drafts me Cal Ripken, the next SS available on the free agent list that is comparable to Yount but less expensive. But Baltimore is an owned franchise and I cannot keep Ripken.

Can that happen? Thus I am obligated to drop Ripken and replace him with another player.
However, that is a problem with an obvious solution and likely not to be too worried about.

I should be ready soon.

One other thing, maybe two.

I believe I have exclusive rights to Walker since he is carded with Montreal and Colorado, but Colorado was not a selected franchise. Is that correct?

Also, as per the exclusive rights of players of a single franchise only, such as Kaline, comprising a sort of minor league pool. I know I can add/drop different Kaline cards without penalty in the preseason, but what about after the season starts? Is Kaline somehow exempt from the 5% penalty as an exclusive rights player? I am doubting it, but it came to mind as a possibility.

fowldawg

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:46 pm

Yes Yount would be eligible. If you miss out on Yount you can drop whatever replacement player you get in the autodraft and pick up a different qualifying FA player. If the replacement player meets the FA criteria you can keep them (example: Bartlett); if the replacement player does not meet the FA criteria (example: Ripken) you must drop them for a player that qualifies for your franchise or an eligible FA.

Eligible FA franchises: Brewers, Padres, Rockies, Rangers, Rays, White Sox

Yes, Walker is yours

All Add/Drops during season are subject to the salary hit.

Toine

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:48 pm

JMD would you please mark your team ready for the draft….we are all waiting on you!!!

jmdziuban2

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 4:09 pm

One last thing. It seems that since I can only draft players for which I own the highest card (Pedro) or fully exclusive rights (Kaline), and can adjust among those players throughout the preseason as I desire without threat of loss to any other team; then is the draft mostly a grab for free your priority agent (singular) and fulfilling requirements for any agreed trades?

Thus the order of the draft list after the priority free agent is unimportant, as no other team can draft those players?

fowldawg

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 4:12 pm

correct, only autodraft pick that really matters is your FA selection at #1

jmdziuban2

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 5:12 pm

Thanks, everyone. It seems that everyone is set and ready. I am glad the draft did not run automatically after I marked myself ready, as that would give an unfair advantage to whomever "readies" last.

So, when is the draft?
Previous

Return to Individual League Chat