Does position in lineup affect productivity?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

l.strether

Re: Does position in lineup affect productivity?

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 2:06 pm

Well, the main problem is you have Encarnacion on a Safeco team. Encarnacion draws a lot of his potential production from ball park homers, and Safeco is going to negate much of that. This is a case where lineup slotting won't help him much. I know some managers are fine with such players in pitchers parks. However, you will not maximize (or reach) his value in your park and would most likely be better off with a 1b with less dependence on Bp Hrs.

wahlerpc

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks L. Strether,

I didn't think I was "angsting" either, just wondering. And because Encarnacion hit last night didn't make me think I had done anything, nor that somehow the game is humanized in the motivational sense. That seems obvious and almost silly to me, to even think that could be possible.

I was simply wondering how the rest of you would handle a big-time hitter who you paid a lot of your budget for, but who is currently your lowest producer. Would you tend to put him in the #3 or #4 slot and leave him there, knowing that sooner or later he will hit, or would you treat him as any other .160 hitter and bat him down in the order until the "dice rolls" turn in his favor?

BTW, this game would be a lot less fun if lineup positioning didn't matter.

l.strether

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 2:09 pm

No problem. I'm glad to help.

wahlerpc

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks again, L.strether (L or I?);

Is there something on a player's page that shows that he is dependent on BP HRs?

Thanks,
Ed

ScumbyJr

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 2:52 pm

wahlerpc wrote:Thanks again, L.strether (L or I?);

Is there something on a player's page that shows that he is dependent on BP HRs?

Thanks,
Ed

The Sim Misc. page shows Encarn is 1 for 1 in BP homeruns. Not a factor. He is 1 for 7 in BP single so that is knocking down his average (like the rest of your team) His pitch count is pro batter.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/misc/1394014

My opinion is his card is overpriced and doomed to underperform. I may have used him 1 time if at all. He is basically HRs, walks and gb(a) not a huge RBI guy especially in a pitchers park. I've been using other first basemen like Adrian Gonzalez or Allen Craig. I've also platooned if I can get Jordy Mercer.

coyote303

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 3:40 pm

wahlerpc wrote:Thanks L. Strether,

I didn't think I was "angsting" either, just wondering. And because Encarnacion hit last night didn't make me think I had done anything, nor that somehow the game is humanized in the motivational sense. That seems obvious and almost silly to me, to even think that could be possible.

I was simply wondering how the rest of you would handle a big-time hitter who you paid a lot of your budget for, but who is currently your lowest producer. Would you tend to put him in the #3 or #4 slot and leave him there, knowing that sooner or later he will hit, or would you treat him as any other .160 hitter and bat him down in the order until the "dice rolls" turn in his favor?

BTW, this game would be a lot less fun if lineup positioning didn't matter.

I don't know what ls told you (I refuse to read his posts anymore), but from your response it sounds like he twisted my post into some kind of personal attack. My message was simply to put your hitter into the lineup based on his card and not on his results. Call it "wondering" or call it "angst," you're still asking whether to move your slugger down in the lineup based on poor results so far. And while it's reasonable to ask that question, the answer is black and white. Putting him down in the lineup waiting for his "dice rolls" to get better is not optimum strategy.

Now whether Encarn is worthy of being in the #3, #4, or #5 spot based on his card or if he is worthy of his salary are altogether different arguments that I have no opinion on.

Note: Please keep in mind that ls seems to be on a mission to discredit or twist anything I post, so please keep that in mind.

l.strether

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 3:45 pm

As you can see, Wahl, Coyote is being paranoid...again. I only told you you weren't "angsting," as Coyote erroneously claimed, and said nothing about him. He's straight up lied about me on the forum before, as he's lying now, so pay him no mind.

As to Encarnacion, his only having had one opportunity is a bit of a fluke. So, while BP hrs hven't been a factor so far, they most likely will be one. He has BP Hr opportunities on a 2-3, 2-10, 2-11, and 2-12 against righties, so he most likely will lose production through missed Hr opportunities. Craig's ok, but I'm not a big fan of Gonzalez. Either way, Scumby and I agree Encarnacion is not a good fit for you and your park. As I said before, you could use a first baseman less dependent on Bp Hrs for production.

As to the rules about Bp Hrs, which are signified by number signs, here is the SOM official rule on them:
# -- Ballpark home run reading. An additional roll determines whether there is a home run or a flyout. Obviously, the probability varies by ballpark and whether the hitter is lefthanded or righthanded. The original result listed is ignored -- in effect, the result will be determined by "rolling against" the ballpark's home run rating (a random number from 1-20). If the number rolled is equal to or lower than the ballpark's rating for a left- or righthanded hitter, it is a home run.

P.s. It's l.strether and good luck on the rest of your season.

ScumbyJr

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 3:55 pm

If you have a BP slugger in Safeco it should at least be a Lefty like Moss. Belt is a good choice too. The Safeco BP HR ratings are 1-5 for LHB, 1 for RHB.

wahlerpc

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks everyone for being very helpful. I recognize that's all any of you have tried to be. I don't know you individually, so I am unaware if there is any problems among any of you. As far as I'm concerned, you are all terrific, and I appreciate your advice. There are a lot of posts here, and you certainly don't have to answer mine. That you have shows me you're all ok.

I am loving this game more and more with each season I play. My Roto league is beginning to feel somewhat boring by comparison.

The only problem I have is that Strat's info on what things mean, explanations of different columns and how to interpret them, is very sketchy. I can see how it would take many seasons of trial and error, Strat's info, and this community for one to learn enough to feel confident in his analysis, and even then, I'm betting things would not be very predictable. But that is what makes this game so attractive, isn't it?

Ed

ScumbyJr

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 6:00 pm

wahlerpc wrote:Thanks everyone for being very helpful. I recognize that's all any of you have tried to be. I don't know you individually, so I am unaware if there is any problems among any of you. As far as I'm concerned, you are all terrific, and I appreciate your advice. There are a lot of posts here, and you certainly don't have to answer mine. That you have shows me you're all ok.

I am loving this game more and more with each season I play. My Roto league is beginning to feel somewhat boring by comparison.

The only problem I have is that Strat's info on what things mean, explanations of different columns and how to interpret them, is very sketchy. I can see how it would take many seasons of trial and error, Strat's info, and this community for one to learn enough to feel confident in his analysis, and even then, I'm betting things would not be very predictable. But that is what makes this game so attractive, isn't it?

Ed

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/help/rules
How to read hitter and pitchers cards
PreviousNext

Return to General Strategy