Who's making the semifinals

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

djkalle

Re: Who's making the semifinals

PostThu May 23, 2024 5:22 pm

Reminder - the people who have made the finals have not had their 5 points added. Thus, if CirrhoticLiver loses the 2000's championship, I believe he and Stratorat both tie in the first three tie-breakers. It would go to tiebreaker #4, run differential. My calculations, please doublecheck, show CirrhoticLiver at a plus 297 and stratorat at a plus 278. Someone doublecheck all this please.

Edit - I see canauscot does concur with this, posting just ahead of me.

franky35

PostThu May 23, 2024 6:30 pm

ok, nice calculation on the tiebreak (another mistake by me - I forgot to add in CirrhoticLiver's current trip to the world series). So then it looks like CirrhoticLiver has clinched.

jmdziuban2

PostThu May 23, 2024 10:07 pm

Thank you for the correction canauscot, I was wondering about that.

canauscot

PostThu May 23, 2024 11:48 pm

Well of course we will need another to day to make any of this clearer. Both “live” semis will go to a game 7.
I had my wires crossed on who was leading moodywoody’s series, but it goes to the last game anyway.

canauscot

PostSat May 25, 2024 1:04 am

My commiserations to mds6101. Put together some very good teams and created a dominant 105 win 00’s team when you needed to. Looked good going into the playoffs and getting upset at home twice in game 6 & 7 is a gut punch. I feel that.
On the other side, congratulations to stratorat, who thoroughly deserves to have secured a spot in the tourney semi’s.
I think now only two spots to decide. My reading is...
The winner of brifas and dergeist goes through; and
If moodywoody wins his finals series he goes through or jmdziuban holds on to his spot.

jmdziuban2

PostSat May 25, 2024 2:11 am

With mds6101, surprisingly, losing in the first round, I am still alive. Thus I believe it is down to myself or Moodywoody for a remaining spot. One of der geist or brifas will pass me. After that, if Cirrhotoc has clinched, then does that also mean that stratorat has clinched?
If Moodywoody wins and der geist wins, they are both in replacing myself and mds 6101 who I believe is essentially eliminated, and stratorat is in.
If Moodywoody wins and brifas wins, then they are both in along with stratorat.
If Moodywoody loses and der geist wins, then I and der geist are in, and stratorat.
If Moodywoody loses and brifas wins, then stratorat, brifas, and myself re in.

Is that correct or am I including 25 teams?

Okay, I see above that stratorat is in. Thus the two remaining spots are Moodywoody or myself, and the winner of der geist/brifas. Yes?

I'll check back for confirmation of this, but then ain't looking until next Friday.

franky35

PostSat May 25, 2024 9:19 am

21. stratorat 460
22. CirrhoticLiver 460/465
23. jmdziuban 459 (1 championship, zero finals made)
24. mds6101 459 (zero championships; loses tiebreak v jmdzubian)

I'll just restate jmdziuban's analysis. mds is out.
Four teams: jmdziuban, der geist, MoodyWoody, and brifas each have a 50/50 shot at making the semis:
If brifas wins and Moody loses, then brifas will have 459 points (1 championship, 1 finals made) and will make the semis. jmdziuban and brifas will make the semis.
If geist wins and Moody loses, then geist will have 461 points and will make the semis.
jmdziuban and geist will make the semis.
If brifas wins and Moody wins, then Moody would have 462 points and will make the semis.
Moodywoody and brifas will make the semis.
If geist wins and MoodyWoody wins, then
Moodywoody and geist will make the semis.

For MoodyWoody, brifas, and geist it's simple - Win and you're in. Lose and you're out.

jmdziuban wrote "I'll check back for confirmation of this, but then ain't looking until next Friday." If that is true then jmdziuban has the self-control of a 9th level yogi. I mean Game 7 wraps up on Wednesday night and you're not looking until Friday?

Death_From_Above

PostSat May 25, 2024 10:43 am

Pretty depressed I missed the finals (how are you all so good at strat?)

Can I throw out the ceremonial first pitch as a consolation prize?

-Death

jaywalker72

PostSat May 25, 2024 11:27 am

Death_From_Above wrote:Pretty depressed I missed the finals (how are you all so good at strat?)

Can I throw out the ceremonial first pitch as a consolation prize?

-Death

Incredible run - very consistent winning for you DFA - a little more luck in the 80s would have gotten you there - so crazy how those two out, ninth inning walk offs can win or lose things like this.

Congrats on battling and nearly getting there - here is to blasting into post season next year!

Jason

jmdziuban2

PostSat May 25, 2024 4:16 pm

franky35,thank you for the improved timetable. I was assuming that the finals started on Monday and ended Friday. If they start tonight and end Wednesday, I'll check in then. Although I may peek in and check after games 4 or 5, if I can't resist the urge.

Either way, it's either Moodywoody or myself, and either brifas or der geist. So I guess I'm rooting for Jimmy_C. Nothing personal against Moodywoody, but....
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament