Who's making the semifinals

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

stratorat

Re: Who's making the semifinals

PostSat May 25, 2024 7:37 pm

Proud to be in the Top 24 for the 2nd yr in a row...
Hope to advance to the Finals this year:))

Match

PostSat May 25, 2024 8:01 pm

Death_From_Above wrote:Pretty depressed I missed the finals (how are you all so good at strat?)

Can I throw out the ceremonial first pitch as a consolation prize?

-Death

Razor thin margin. One more win in the 2000 league would have got you in, I believe! Sometimes you need a little luck?

CirrhoticLiver

PostTue May 28, 2024 9:34 am

I wasn't sure until I read this right now that I had clinched. That's a relief!

Unfortunately now I would have to win a championship in the semis to make the finals, I would assume.

jaywalker72

PostWed May 29, 2024 8:37 am

How many times have we seen Moodywoody win out, against all odds, to qualify for something? Amazing comeback and poised to complete the 3-0 deficit comeback to qualify. Truly incredible resilience. I'd drug test the whole team at this point, honestly.

franky35

PostWed May 29, 2024 9:49 am

Meanwhile, der geist won and now haunts the 21st position in the rankings. Tonight two long-time great players, MoodyWoody and JimmyC meet in Game 7. If MoodyWoody wins then he'll move on to the semis and if Moody loses, then jmdziuban hangs on to the 24th spot. The rankings are almost set (although waynick might move up to the #2 spot). There is a big 9 point gap between Takanahana at 11 and hallerose at 12. hallerose, of course will be tough to beat out, especially playing the 70s. So for the teams at 13-24 it is going to be difficult to make the finals, with this level of competition a 100 win season is very unlikely, but a championship in the semis guarantees a spot in the finals.

CirrhoticLiver

PostWed May 29, 2024 10:21 am

Somewhat meaningless at this point, but in 2000's League #12, Game 6 of finals last night, with me holding a 3 games to 2 lead, and a 7-2 lead going into bottom of the 9th...six run rally from waynick's Whiskers to force Game 7! Thanks HAL for putting in my "mopup" guy with the season on the line...

jmdziuban2

PostWed May 29, 2024 11:24 pm

Well, I'll start with condolences to Moody Woody. Jimmy_C wins Game 7 behind Dan Haren who went (4-0) in the playoffs for Tourneyzillas, 7 -1.

I am truly humbled, and hope to make all those who narrowly missed out proud, which they all should be of their own accomplishments. Seriously, I was wondering if that one sub-.500 season (80=82) in the 90s was going to do me in, and then losing in the first round of the 2000 playoffs.

I feel like a accidentally came in through the side door, and am now lost backstage. Yet if I'm going to be in at #24,as it appears, I can only hope to prove myself worthy by doing as well as I can in the semis.
Thank You, all.

I don't know what else to say.

canauscot

PostThu May 30, 2024 1:23 am

Congrats to jmdziuban and commiserations to moodywoody, mds6101 and brifas and all the others narrowly missing out.
These things are such small margins.

I got the wildcard only via a tiebreak in my 2000's league, and then managed to make it to the finals.

winning that tie-break got me 10 points, otherwise I'm not in the conversation.

You need a bit of luck. As will all those in the bottom half of the 24 if any of us are to make it the finals (and hallerose and takahana will be nervously watching their backs too).

CirrhoticLiver

PostThu May 30, 2024 9:36 am

I'm honored to be in the semi-finals with so many great managers! Definitely needed some luck to sneak in - won championships in events 4 and 5 after a slow start. Now all I need to do is win two more...Four championships in a row? Easy! Just ask the 1936-39 or 1949-53 Yankees. It's happened twice in 150+ years of baseball history! Of course, their competition was not as stiff - see Washington Senators, St. Louis Browns, etc...

Moodywoody

PostThu May 30, 2024 10:47 pm

Kudos to Jimmy. He had a great team.

Good luck to Jmdziuban. Here is hoping you make it to the final 12.

I would like to thank JuiceJC for helping organize the tournament. A great player that by rights should have made the semis. A .500 season in the 2000s would have gotten him in I think. Sometimes the best laid out plans do not work out.
Previous

Return to --- Mystery Tournament