Who's making the finals

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

Match

Re: Who's making the finals

PostWed Jul 31, 2024 3:10 pm

It sure would be nice to have a lock on a finals spot so I could rest some of my key players to avoid injuries heading into the playoffs. But as your post shows, there will be a very thin lin between those that make it and those that don’t. Every point counts.

waynick

PostFri Aug 02, 2024 12:50 am

I believe the top 12 is set now. The only change will be if stratorat or der geist wins the championship in their division. If that happens, the guy in 12th (me) will be out.

waynick

PostFri Aug 02, 2024 1:00 am

I looked at the standings wrong, 12th is still up for grabs. I'm obviously not good at counting.

franky35

PostFri Aug 02, 2024 1:18 am

The current top 11 have clinched unless stratorat finishes within 10 of Takanahana, Syr-ga, and Guardman AND der geist and stratorat meet in the League 2 world series and der geist wins. There is also about a 1 in a thousand chance that der geist could lose the world series and still make the finals (geist sweeps the last regular season series while Takanahana and syr-gas get swept and Guardman loses 2 or 3). Going into the last series, Takanahana and syr-ga are tied at 559 and guardman is one back at 558; the best finish in that group will hold 12th place, at least until the League 2 playoffs play out.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostFri Aug 02, 2024 9:04 am

I don't think I could have backed in any more than I did. I hate the 70s! I'm just glad I survived that.

hallerose

PostFri Aug 02, 2024 10:24 am

franky35 wrote:The current top 11 have clinched unless stratorat finishes within 10 of Takanahana, Syr-ga, and Guardman AND der geist and stratorat meet in the League 2 world series and der geist wins. There is also about a 1 in a thousand chance that der geist could lose the world series and still make the finals (geist sweeps the last regular season series while Takanahana and syr-gas get swept and Guardman loses 2 or 3). Going into the last series, Takanahana and syr-ga are tied at 559 and guardman is one back at 558; the best finish in that group will hold 12th place, at least until the League 2 playoffs play out.

The loser of a der geist & stratorat final would need to knock out no. 11. Figuring out how they both could knock out no. 12 is not enough.

hallerose

PostFri Aug 02, 2024 10:24 am

franky35 wrote:The current top 11 have clinched unless stratorat finishes within 10 of Takanahana, Syr-ga, and Guardman AND der geist and stratorat meet in the League 2 world series and der geist wins. There is also about a 1 in a thousand chance that der geist could lose the world series and still make the finals (geist sweeps the last regular season series while Takanahana and syr-gas get swept and Guardman loses 2 or 3). Going into the last series, Takanahana and syr-ga are tied at 559 and guardman is one back at 558; the best finish in that group will hold 12th place, at least until the League 2 playoffs play out.

The loser of a der geist & stratorat final would need to knock out no. 11. Figuring out how they both could knock out no. 12 is not enough.

franky35

PostFri Aug 02, 2024 12:12 pm

Figuring out how they both could knock out no. 12 is not enough.
Yes, hallerose, that is the mistake I made. There is no way that stratorat could reach the #11 spot with only 10 playoff bonus points. So, the current top 11 have clinched; there is not even a small possibility of both stratorat and der geist making the finals. There are 5 teams competing for the 12th spot and tonight's regular season final series will eliminate 2 of those teams.

Through the first 3 tiebreakers the unofficial order is:
1. Takanahana = guardman (2 championships, 1 first round win, 1 playoff win)
2. stratorat - 1 championship
3. syr-ga (zero championships)

According to the rules the 4th tie-breaker is regular season run differential for determining the semifinalists.

jaywalker72

PostFri Aug 02, 2024 2:07 pm

franky35 wrote:
Figuring out how they both could knock out no. 12 is not enough.
Yes, hallerose, that is the mistake I made. There is no way that stratorat could reach the #11 spot with only 10 playoff bonus points. So, the current top 11 have clinched; there is not even a small possibility of both stratorat and der geist making the finals. There are 5 teams competing for the 12th spot and tonight's regular season final series will eliminate 2 of those teams.

Through the first 3 tiebreakers the unofficial order is:
1. Takanahana = guardman (2 championships, 1 first round win, 1 playoff win)
2. stratorat - 1 championship
3. syr-ga (zero championships)

According to the rules the 4th tie-breaker is regular season run differential for determining the semifinalists.

As posted in the Rules at the beginning of the tourney, here are the tiebreakers:

In the event of a tie to determine placement/order in the top 24 for the semi-final round or the top 12 for the final round, the following tiebreaker steps will be taken:
1. Championships won
2. Finals made
3. Playoffs made
4. Total run differential across the first 5 rounds
5. Best single season run differential through the first 5 rounds
6. Best single season total in runs scored through the first 5 rounds
7. Coin flip

Takanahana

PostSat Aug 03, 2024 12:38 am

I squeaked into 12th place - for the time being - and will anxiously await the playoff results.

To syr-ga: you had an excellent semi-finals (and tournament) but were unlucky to be in a brutal division.
To guardman9 - you also had an excellent tournament and I empathize with the suffering you must have felt during that unprecedented losing streak a couple weeks ago.

To the top 11: Congratulations on making the finals as we await to see who gets that last spot.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament