sphilipp8 is dominating!

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

jaywalker72

sphilipp8 is dominating!

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 1:21 pm

Taking the Power and Pitching approach and the ballparks to match, sphilipp8 has jumped WAY out in the standings, including a current 105 win team in the 80s. He's definitely making Aerosmith proud with the performance - wow!

franky35

Re: sphilipp8 is dominating!

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 7:10 pm

I have noticed sphilipp is throwing down the gauntlet. He is running away with the top spot (and potentially Barry Bonds if the 2000s are selected as the finals decade). I'm kind of hanging on at about the 10th spot in the rankings. My 80s team, Little Red Corvette, stepped on the gas down the stretch and looks safe to make the playoffs. But I could easily fall out of the top 12 if my 2000s team doesn't miraculously find some pitching - I've already cut 21 pitchers and I'll cut some more. Anyway, I think Aerosmith is a crappy band, and if I make the semis or finals and face sphillipp, then, tentatively, I'm naming my team "Smell the Glove."

franky35

PostSun Apr 16, 2023 5:19 pm

My attempt to goad sphilipp into trash-taking has failed. Meanwhile, the regular season tournament is winding down with the 90s season 75% finished and the 2000s reaching midseason. A few observations: depending on whether he has a weak finish or a strong finish, sphilipp is likely to finish the regular season either slightly ahead or so far ahead that he is a shoe-in for the #1 pick in the finals. He's in the playoffs in the 80s after a 110 win season and is a lock for the playoffs in the 90s, but the 00's are looking iffy trailing pwoelfle by 5 in the division and jwalker and jsanders3rd by 7 in the wildcard - still half the season to go.

Speaking of pwoelfle, he's 3rd in the rankings and with a great finish might get close to the top spot but will need to gain a few games in the 90s to make the playoffs. The #2 player, barrmorris, is new to SOM on-line, playing only since last year, but I'm guessing by his team name "Northfield Retirees" might have played the dice game. He's a couple games back in the 2000s but a good finish makes him nearly a lock for the finals which is quite an accomplishment for a new player. On the other end of the spectrum, long-time player djkalle, after a couple .500 teams to start the tournament has caught fire in the 80s, 90s and his 2000s team is 57-24. Although currently ranked #20, barring a disaster in the semis, is highly likely to make the finals.

There is no one I'm rooting for more than our great commissioner, JuicedJC. He's currently ranked #21 and a couple games out from the playoffs in the 90s and 2000s. Let's go Juiced!!! I'm also crossing my fingers for never-say-die Rigged Splits to move up from #29; he's on the edge.

Other notables. Tourney favorites gritch and hallerose are ranked #9 and 10 and are kind of lazily on track for the finals. Finalists from last year, jwalker and jsanders3rd, are ranked 17 and 29 and are finishing well and are sure to make the semis with a good chance to return to the finals. mburatti is likely to return to the finals after a year off. Former Tourney champ Lee300 is currently ranked #26 but is in good shape to move way up the standings. Three-time champ MoodyWoody and Takanahana are ranked back in the 30s and will need to finish very strong to make the semis. Two-time champ pushpin is currently ranked 65 after missing the playoffs in the 80s despite 89 wins but could make the finals with championships in the 90s and 00s. A lot of players are in competition for the semis depending on playoff results in the 80s, 90s and 00s. As for me, I'm in good shape to make the semis but will need some playoff wins to return to the finals.

Juiced JC

PostSun Apr 16, 2023 6:03 pm

It's been an interesting year. Seeing franky, gritch and hallerose outside the top 5 (although still highly likely to all make the finals), and seeing the great Moodywoody struggle to make the top 24 again, and seeing Jimmy C way back at 60-something in the standings - these all make me realize how much harder it gets to make the finals every year. We keep getting new players who are quick learners and the competitive balance keeps shifting. While this is great for the game, it's also a little disappointing that some of the legends we're used to seeing in the finals might never make it back again.

mburatti76

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 2:42 pm

A big 5 points on the line tonight between pwoelfle and me in Game 5 of our 80's league. I currently trail him by 4 points in the Tournament standings, Franky trails him by 5, but he has already secured his trip to the Finals in his 80's league. Could be an important game in helping secure a Tournament Finals spot and seeding.

With that said, I do not like my chances. pwoelfle is at home and has a big advantage in the pitching match up with Bosio clearly on one of his betters years. He also tossed a shut out in game 1. I have John Denny going, who was ok, but he's definitely on one of his slop balling years, allowing 236 hits over 203 innings with a 1.52 WHIP. I'm going to need some help from HAL tonight!

Match

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 8:57 am

I am one of the new guys trying to break into the semis. For a long time I thought I was going to make it, but it looks like my 2000s team isn’t good enough. And my 90s team willl have to get past sphillip8 in the post season to pick up the slack. Still, an worthy effort in my mystery tournament debut. I’ll be back to try again next year in any case.

franky35

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 1:20 pm

match, you have good odds of making the semis. Your 2000s team is one game back in the wildcard and a playoff appearance in the 2000s would almost guarantee a spot for you in the semis.

Return to --- Mystery Tournament