Barry Bonds Effect

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

franky35

Barry Bonds Effect

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 11:28 am

Since Barry Bonds has such a great card (and was the best hitter of all time during his steroid years), I was wondering if getting Bonds was a ticket to win the 2000s. So, I looked at all 12 leagues of the Mystery Tournament. In 5 leagues, a team with Bonds on the roster is leading their division. In 3 leagues he's been cut. So, it looks like getting Bonds is not an automatic trip to the post season.

mburatti76

Re: Barry Bonds Effect

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 2:29 pm

If he doesn't land on '06, you're probably a pretty good bet to make the playoffs with the other cards. Probably just need to give it enough time to play out.

gritch

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 2:47 pm

I’ve got his 2000 version (2nd worst) and it’s a struggle. While he has the top OPS in the league he’s missed 15 of 90 games. I have solid lower value cards (Bard, Jeremy Giambi, Vina, Boone, Erstad) to pare with him but the lineup regularly gets shut down. I’m in a tough division and it will quite a battle to make the playoffs. I’d likely be 4-6 games better on one of his top three cards.

I think his top three cards provide a lot of value. His fourth card may provide a little or is a wash but it would better to find other big bats for millions less if one was certain of the card. In fact, I think it would be very difficult to win in the tourney finals on that 2000 card when you have $13mm of salary tied up on a card pretty much delivering its assigned value. His last card is a definite minus. 60% great card is quite the success rate so I remain a fan of drafting him.

Ben

jaywalker72

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 3:16 pm

gritch wrote:I’ve got his 2000 version (2nd worst) and it’s a struggle. While he has the top OPS in the league he’s missed 15 of 90 games. I have solid lower value cards (Bard, Jeremy Giambi, Vina, Boone, Erstad) to pare with him but the lineup regularly gets shut down. I’m in a tough division and it will quite a battle to make the playoffs. I’d likely be 4-6 games better on one of his top three cards.

I think his top three cards provide a lot of value. His fourth card may provide a little or is a wash but it would better to find other big bats for millions less if one was certain of the card. In fact, I think it would be very difficult to win in the tourney finals on that 2000 card when you have $13mm of salary tied up on a card pretty much delivering its assigned value. His last card is a definite minus. 60% great card is quite the success rate so I remain a fan of drafting him.

Ben

Last tourney, gritch had Bonds best (I think) and he flat out dominated, winning 122 games in the regular season and scoring a whopping 137 points for that league. Truly the most dominant tourney performance I'd witnessed (I wasn't in the league but watching the standings) with an otherworldly +479 run differential.

mburatti76

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 4:23 pm

gritch wrote:I’ve got his 2000 version (2nd worst) and it’s a struggle. While he has the top OPS in the league he’s missed 15 of 90 games. I have solid lower value cards (Bard, Jeremy Giambi, Vina, Boone, Erstad) to pare with him but the lineup regularly gets shut down. I’m in a tough division and it will quite a battle to make the playoffs. I’d likely be 4-6 games better on one of his top three cards.

Ben

I forgot he can get hurt more than 3 games on 2000, that does make it much more difficult. I had him on '04 a couple Tournaments ago, despite the 2 injury he can only be hurt for 3 games so it's a lot more tolerable. He got hurt 6 times in the regular season but still played in 147 regular season games and crushed 66 HR's, so he was well worth the investment. Unfortunately, he got hurt 2 times in the playoffs and ended up missing game 7 in the Finals.

Return to --- Mystery Tournament