Point total to make finals.

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

djkalle

Re: Point total to make finals.

PostThu May 11, 2023 9:34 pm

465-466 was a pretty good guess. It's looking like 463 will get you in the Final 24.

One more tourney oddity - with 6 games left in the 2000's, the most likely outcome for the Final 24 is that 22 or the top 24 owners will make the Final 24. MGoren5166 (27th place) and TallEd (25th) most likely makes the 2000 playoffs. The most likely owners near the end of the current top 24 to not make the Final 24 are rjnewman and Rube. But Rube is only 2 games out so even that may not happen. And rjnewman can win 5 or 6 of these last games and possibly force MGoren5166 or TallEd to win that first round of the 2000's to make the Final 24.

So many of the owners in the 26th to 32nd places have no chance at making the playoffs. chris_s, MochaDog and maestro1 have a very outside chance at the Final 24 but they are pretty close to needing to win the last 6 games and then winning the league championship in order to do so. And then they may be relying on MGoren5166 to not make it past the 1st round.

Not as much excitement as to who makes the Final 24 this year.

Edit - my first stab at this, I forgot to refresh the tourney page and it didn't show the owners winning in game #7 of the 90's.

nol15736

PostFri May 12, 2023 7:14 am

For my first mystery tourney I'm overall happy with my results. 2 playoff appearances, 1 championship (potentially 2 as the 00's are yet to be decided). Only one season where I got my tail kicked repeatedly and that is in my weakest decade (the 80's I just can't seem to figure that one out)

franky35

PostFri May 12, 2023 12:33 pm

going into the final day of the 2000s regular season, the Tourney teams ranked 1-19 have all clinched a spot in the semis. Unofficially, here's where we stand heading into the final regular season night of the 2023 Tournament:
20. canauscot at 464 points can't make the playoffs but still has a very high chance of making the semis and could clinch tonight
21. match at 463 has less than a 0.5% chance of making the playoffs but is looking good for the semis, especially if he can catch canauscot tonight
22. ggrover at 460 is one game back of a wildcard spot but loses the tiebreak so needs to pick up two games to get the wildcard would probably clinch a spot in the semis. On the other hand, going 0-3 or 1-2 tonight could eliminate any chance of making the semis
22. Rjnewman at 460 can't make the playoffs; needs to do well tonight and get some help to make the semis
24. Rube at 458 can't catch TallEd for the wildcard spot, and is likely to be eliminated tonight, but a sweep tonight might give him a slim chance of making the semis
25. TallEd at 456 has at least a 63/64 chance of making the playoffs and moving him up 5 points in the ranking and could clinch a spot in the semis with a good showing tonight
26. MGoren at 455 has clinched the playoffs, so is actually at 460
Surprisingly, none of the teams ranked 27-32 will make the playoffs and can't make the semis
33. chris_s at 445 is 1 game up over hallerose for the last playoff spot in League 1 and he has the tiebreak, but he'd still need to win the world series to have any chance of making the semis
34. MochaDog and maestro1 at 444 will make the playoffs but a poor finish to the regular season could be enough to eliminate any chance of making the semis. So, don't rest your starters.

Match

PostFri May 12, 2023 2:20 pm

Thanks Franky, I was trying to figure out all the contingencies this morning, and there were too many variables for me to make sense of it. Canauscot and I met in the first round in our 90s league and since we were both likely to miss the playoffs n the 2000s, I thought for sure the loser of that series would miss the semis. But he picked up enough wins down the stretch that it looks like we’ll both get in after all. Of course I probably just jinxed myself or him or both of us, but what the heck, I’m feeling good. I was mentioned as a “rookie to watch” in juiced’s tournament preview and I feel I lived up to the compliment. If.I miss out, it’ll be by the slimmest day of margins. Btw, when do we find out what league the semis are going to use?

jaywalker72

PostFri May 12, 2023 4:39 pm

Match wrote: Btw, when do we find out what league the semis are going to use?

Strat drew before the tourney started and it is the 60s.

djkalle

PostSat May 13, 2023 12:37 am

Do I have this right? Possible 5 way tie for the 24th spot. MochaDog in if he wins a championship. If MochaDog doesn't win, chris_s ties ggrover15 with a title and we have a coin flip. Otherwise, ggrover15 gets in at #24. rjnewman and maestro1 lose the tie-breakers.
Last edited by djkalle on Sun May 14, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franky35

PostSat May 13, 2023 12:44 am

I've had a couple tonight so I may not have this straight but I think Maestro is eliminated by the first tiebreak. ggrover and Rjnewman are tied and the two way tie could be joined by Mocha and chris if they win their championships. Maybe I'm currently misunderstanding it, but the tiebreak formula leaves too many ties unresolved.

franky35

PostSun May 14, 2023 5:56 pm

Note to self: don't post while impaired.
Here is a more clear-minded (but still unofficial) analysis for the 24th and final spot in the semis:
The tiebreaker formula is:
1. Championships won
2. Finals made
3. Playoffs made
4. Coin flip

ggrover and Rjnewman are tied at 261 and neither made the 2000s playoffs:
ggrover has 2 championships + 1 playoff made + 2 non-playoff teams
Rjnewman has 2 championships + 3 non-playoff teams
Therefore, Rjnewman is eliminated by tiebreaker #3

There are 3 teams with less than 261 points but at least 251 points that made the 2000s playoffs:
MochaDog, chris_s, and maestro1 are tied at 251. Assuming each of these teams wins the world series in the 2000s, then they would each have 261 points AND
MochaDog would have 2 championships + 2 playoffs made + 1 non-playoff team
chris_2 would have 2 championships + 2 playoffs made + 1 non-playoff team
maestro1 would have 1 championship + 2 playoffs made + 2 non-playoff teams
Therefore, maestro1 is eliminated by tiebreaker #1. If MochaDog or chris_s wins their championship, then ggrover is eliminated by tiebreaker #3. If both MochaDog and chris_s win their championship then the final spot in the semis is determined by a coin flip between MochaDog and chris_s. So, unofficially, ggrover, MochaDog and chris_s are still alive but Rjnewman and masestro1 are eliminated. Assuming random outcomes of the 2000s playoffs, ggrover has a 56% chance of making the semis, and MochaDog and chris_s each have a 22% chance.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostSun May 14, 2023 7:45 pm

Franky, you have an error in there. If I win, I will have 2 championships but only 1 other playoff, so mochadog would beat me out by the 3rd tiebreaker. So, for MochaDog, a championship and he is in.

In both the 70s and 80s, I went into the last night of the season with a chance to make the playoffs and failed both times. Those are going to likely bite me now.

MochaDog

PostSun May 14, 2023 9:36 pm

And the only reason I'm still in it is winning an entirely unexpected 70s championship with an 83-79 regular season record. It's interesting how little things early in the tournament can play a big role by the time you get to the end of the 2000's - but it's still a pretty steep hill for me to climb to get in!
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament