Who's making the finals

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

franky35

Who's making the finals

PostWed Jul 17, 2024 12:02 pm

This is a really wild race for the finals. Through 111 games, things are up in the air. The top six teams look nearly certain to make the finals: franky35, sphilipp8, generationm1, Rigged Splits, djkalle, and barrmorris.
Here are the other teams fighting for a spot in the finals:
7. chris_s – currently at 546 but out of playoff contention and with a -50 run differential; current RBI leader is Willie Randolph and ace reliever is Donnie Moore.
8. waynick – 543, out of playoff contention and with a -27 run differential; lead by Cedeno (.962 OPS) and seemingly decent players up and down the roster; two 7-game losing streaks in the first half haven’t helped
9. guardman – 542, out of playoff contention and with a -44 run differential; in a pretty easy division and with a bunch of pitching finds all having good or great years – Swan, Rozema, Rasmussen, Jim McGlothlin, Bill Campbell, Burgmeier, an infield of all “1”s, and RBI leaders Schmidt and Singleton; looks to be in good position
10. taxchiefs – 538, leads league 2 with a 67-44 record and 11 games up to make the playoffs; great pitching with Bench holding runners on and leading the team in hitting with 77 RBI; tough division with sphilipp; definitely not a lock but in good position
11. syr-ga – 537, in a 3-way tie at 64-47 in the tough League 1, East division; this team has cut only 2 pitchers for the season; lead by Hooton, Koosman, and Steve Rogers plus a lineup of decent players like Murcer, Madlock and Gamble but lacking any superstar hitters this is a scrappy team that will have to make the playoffs to have a chance
12. hallerose – 536, he got off to a slow start but then kicked in with one of his classic mid-season comebacks and now leads his division by 7 games. Does Tom Grieve have compromising information on hallerose? Because he’s still on the roster despite a .665 OPS and failing on 10 out of 13 fielding X chances. Bench leads the team with 89 RBI. Hallerose started the semi-finals in 12th dipped down and then fought his way back to 12th. Hard to see how hallerose misses the playoffs but might need to win the first round.
13. Takanahana – 534, currently 51-60 but is blessed to play in the League 2 Central division where he is only 2 games out. A mid-season pickup of Aaron to go with Dick Allen and George Foster (in center?). Yorktown’s color chart on the Division records looks like a sled ride. I am personally pulling for him, but his only chance is to prevail in the Central and possibly advance to the world series.
14. Richard Gagnon – 532, 20 games out of the playoffs; would need a miracle to return to the finals this year.
15. Match – 530, 14 games up in the weak League 1, Central with a magnificent +110 run differential; interesting team with both Sutter and Hrabosky; Buford was picked up as a free agent just before the start of the season and has been spectacular with a .455 OBP, great seasons from Reggie Smith, Mays and Santo. If the trend continues, Match will climb the leaderboard and has a very solid chance to make the finals.
16. buffalo1974 – 527, 11 games out of the playoffs and with a -40 run differential. odds of reaching the finals is bleak
17. stratorat – 525, 11 games up in League 2’s West, the Ducks do it with pitching (fewest runs allowed) and speed (Morgan, Brock and Moreno). I think this team started way back and may need to do well in the playoffs to make the finals.
18. jaywalker – 524, unfortunately, our current and future commissioner got bad luck in getting placed in League 1’s East division and is 9 games back of 3 teams and would need a miracle to return to the finals this year.
20, 21 – Liver and der geist were lucky enough to be placed in League 2’s Central where these two teams are tied for 1st with 53-58 records. All four teams in the Central are in the pennant race. To advance to the finals, Liver or geist would need to win the League 2 World Series.

Takanahana

Re: Who's making the finals

PostThu Jul 18, 2024 6:19 pm

As we near the end of our sixth season to determine the finals, the last couple spots will amazingly come down to a couple points probably decided in the playoffs. Franky35's analysis is right on point. An owner or two may be very happy after a late run to get in and others will have to wait till next year. Good luck!

stradafter

PostThu Jul 18, 2024 11:06 pm

franky35 wrote:This is a really wild race for the finals. Through 111 games, things are up in the air. The top six teams look nearly certain to make the finals: franky35, sphilipp8, generationm1, Rigged Splits, djkalle, and barrmorris.
7. chris_s – currently at 546 but out of playoff contention and with a -50 run differential; current RBI leader is Willie Randolph and ace reliever is Donnie Moore.
8. waynick – 543, out of playoff contention and with a -27 run differential; lead by Cedeno (.962 OPS) and seemingly decent players up and down the roster; two 7-game losing streaks in the first half haven’t helped
9. guardman – 542, out of playoff contention and with a -44 run differential; in a pretty easy division and with a bunch of pitching finds all having good or great years – Swan, Rozema, Rasmussen, Jim McGlothlin, Bill Campbell, Burgmeier, an infield of all “1”s, and RBI leaders Schmidt and Singleton; looks to be in good position
10. taxchiefs – 538, leads league 2 with a 67-44 record and 11 games up to make the playoffs; great pitching with Bench holding runners on and leading the team in hitting with 77 RBI; tough division with sphilipp; definitely not a lock but in good position
11. syr-ga – 537, in a 3-way tie at 64-47 in the tough League 1, East division; this team has cut only 2 pitchers for the season; lead by Hooton, Koosman, and Steve Rogers plus a lineup of decent players like Murcer, Madlock and Gamble but lacking any superstar hitters this is a scrappy team that will have to make the playoffs to have a chance
12. hallerose – 536, he got off to a slow start but then kicked in with one of his classic mid-season comebacks and now leads his division by 7 games. Does Tom Grieve have compromising information on hallerose? Because he’s still on the roster despite a .665 OPS and failing on 10 out of 13 fielding X chances. Bench leads the team with 89 RBI. Hallerose started the semi-finals in 12th dipped down and then fought his way back to 12th. Hard to see how hallerose misses the playoffs but might need to win the first round.
13. Takanahana – 534, currently 51-60 but is blessed to play in the League 2 Central division where he is only 2 games out. A mid-season pickup of Aaron to go with Dick Allen and George Foster (in center?). Yorktown’s color chart on the Division records looks like a sled ride. I am personally pulling for him, but his only chance is to prevail in the Central and possibly advance to the world series.
14. Richard Gagnon – 532, 20 games out of the playoffs; would need a miracle to return to the finals this year.
15. Match – 530, 14 games up in the weak League 1, Central with a magnificent +110 run differential; interesting team with both Sutter and Hrabosky; Buford was picked up as a free agent just before the start of the season and has been spectacular with a .455 OBP, great seasons from Reggie Smith, Mays and Santo. If the trend continues, Match will climb the leaderboard and has a very solid chance to make the finals.
16. buffalo1974 – 527, 11 games out of the playoffs and with a -40 run differential. odds of reaching the finals is bleak
17. stratorat – 525, 11 games up in League 2’s West, the Ducks do it with pitching (fewest runs allowed) and speed (Morgan, Brock and Moreno). I think this team started way back and may need to do well in the playoffs to make the finals. snow rider
18. jaywalker – 524, unfortunately, our current and future commissioner got bad luck in getting placed in League 1’s East division and is 9 games back of 3 teams and would need a miracle to return to the finals this year.
20, 21 – Liver and der geist were lucky enough to be placed in League 2’s Central where these two teams are tied for 1st with 53-58 records. All four teams in the Central are in the pennant race. To advance to the finals, Liver or geist would need to win the League 2 World Series.

Well I really like your post. So details!

Match

PostSat Jul 27, 2024 8:16 am

There has been a lot of movement in the middle of the standings since Franky started this thread. My chances have improved dramatically after winning 21 of my last 24 games.

It’s true the league 1 central has been the weakest division in that league but Der Geist’s Skullsplitters are a great team and finally seem to be separating from the pack. They’ve overcome a horrible first half and are 41-18 since the all star break. With a relatively easy schedule remaining, He could make up a lot of ground if he keeps up this pace.

jaywalker72

PostSat Jul 27, 2024 10:23 am

Match, you have been fantastic with your roster builds and moves. The Boog pickup being the latest correct button pushed. Basically, the opposite of what I've done at the helm.

I think I was psyched out being in Franky's division (I am one game under .500 despite being 4-14 against Franky) and made some very bad moves thinking I needed to go all out to win.

So, it wasn't misfortunate, Franky, it was bad management, as it often comes down to in this league. I cut Clemente early after getting hurt, thinking his INJ rating and relative unavailability would be a disadvantage I couldn't afford, so why not take a chance on a similar production value early on. Clemente got immediately picked up and is hitting .350+ and has been generally available. The same thinking led me to cut Lynn on a solid card. I've had to stick with Winfield on his '76 card, which has been wretched.

Cut Jim Kern after one series because I needed the $$$ to address other gaps and he wasn't used yet, but Franky got him, and he has 20 saves.

Bad, bad, management. The opposite of what Match has done. Well done! Good luck to all the (upcoming) Finalists!

waynick

PostSat Jul 27, 2024 1:33 pm

The race is down to basically the last 4 spots. It looks like it will take at least 568. In division everyone who makes the playoffs will be in the top 11. In division two stratorat and der Geist will need to probably win the championship. There are two teams in top 12,my and Chris S, that are really on the bubble. Should be a fun finish, just wish I had done a better job of managing. Good luck to everyone, someone may get hot and make a September run.

jaywalker72

PostSat Jul 27, 2024 4:13 pm

Missing the finals stinks because I love the 2000s set, and have had success in the set. Having to play the semis in one of the most-played, OG sets really favors the vets in this one and not the newbs. But you have to beat the best to be the best - no shortcuts. Gotta get better in the 60s/70s/80s for me.

Match

PostMon Jul 29, 2024 7:41 am

jaywalker72 wrote:Missing the finals stinks because I love the 2000s set, and have had success in the set. Having to play the semis in one of the most-played, OG sets really favors the vets in this one and not the newbs. But you have to beat the best to be the best - no shortcuts. Gotta get better in the 60s/70s/80s for me.

First f all, I dropped Kern before you did. Who knew?
Regarding the 2000s set, I’m the exact opposite. I have a lot of experience and confidence in 60s/70s/80s but the 90s and 2000s put the “mystery” in “mystery tournament” for me. And having a live draft will add another layer. Maybe I could hire you as my third base coach?

splashoats

PostMon Jul 29, 2024 9:52 pm

stradafter wrote:
franky35 wrote:This is a really wild race for the finals. Through 111 games, things are up in the air. The top six teams look nearly certain to make the finals: franky35, sphilipp8, generationm1, Rigged Splits, djkalle, and barrmorris.
17. stratorat – 525, 11 games up in League 2’s West, the Ducks do it with pitching (fewest runs allowed) and speed (Morgan, Brock and Moreno). I think this team started way back and may need to do well in the playoffs to make the finals.pizza tower

Well I really like your post. So details!

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more with this post. It's incredibly detailed and really nails down the key points

franky35

PostTue Jul 30, 2024 3:46 am

With 12 games left to play, we can divide up the teams into 3 groups:
7 teams are locks - the 6 teams previously mentioned franky35, sphilipp8, generationm1, Rigged Splits, djkalle, and barrmorris plus taxchiefs who kept winning and will get (at least) 5 bonus points for making the playoffs.
a group of 4 in which 3 are nearly certain to make the playoffs and all four could make it - chris_s and waynick have played well enough down the stretch; hallerose and match are going to get the playoff bonus. After adding the 5 point playoff bonus these teams are tightly bunched:
Chris_s - 563
waynick - 562
match - 561
hallerose - 560
At least one team will make it from the third group:
syr-ga - 557
takanahana - 555
guardman - 554
stratorat - 542
der geist - 539
syr-ga is best positioned and is only 2 back of the wildcard; so a strong finish and playoff bonus would clinch it for them. Takanahana and guardman can't make the playoffs and need a very strong finish to have any chance. guardman's team suffered through an incredible late-season 19 game losing streak in which they never scored more than 4 runs in a game. stratorat and der geist (six game division lead) are going to the playoffs in League 2 but will need to win the world series to make the Finals. So, an exciting race to the wire with 16 teams still having a realistic chance of making the finals.
Next

Return to --- Mystery Tournament