Community - Get into the Card Discussions!

Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderator: BC15NY

• Author

nels52

Re: New ATG Cards coming! Ambassadors Sign ups end July 6

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 12:06 pm

Bobby Abreu has always been one of my favorite players. When we were last talking about getting cards and got one of his, my feelings ran the gambit.

"Sweet, it'll really be interesting to see if such a quality nu-school bat can hang in ATG. I love Bobby Abreu (rooting for '04 season)."

Well, my thoughts probably didn't go down that way, but how well a new guy will sit in ATG is always part of the appeal/mystery. AND THIS ONE FAILED. Along with a glut of other players from career years, many of which from 1999 and other unexceptional OPS+ years? from hitters, produced alot of overpriced, bat hitting cards---for ATG.

Bobby Abreu is a great player who doesn't need his arbitrarily best BA year to be good---he needs to be priced appropriately. Now, frankly this is probably more true for a guy like Abreu for me than others, he was steady BUT I just wanted to publicize what'll be running through my head when proposing cards. Career year folks I hear you too,always, but also because in v8 or whatever, I think without being inconsiderate to their claims, most mega year omissions are ones that wold be valid adds.

I'd like to see some 40/40 history guys.
5 man staff love
Dominant NeL get individual season/fixed cards (looking at you Pop)
Forgotten Franchise love
Solid pricing that doesn't overalue guys with terrible real live BA/sim BA (see 1999)
if it doesn't go without saying: love to all the caps

Rosie2167

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 12:29 pm

nels52 wrote:How are the dozens of boards going to integrate together and choose just 50? Not to gumm up now, just optimistically inquiring. I'd think managers should utilize or at least consider polls to decide tough calls both within individual boards and the integrating between them i mention above.

It's been mentioned a few times and I think it's probably a top consideration...focus each card add on a segment of players. One Franchise focused, one whole WS teams, one Post War ERA... There are a ton of cards that are worthy of discussion and I believe this approach would not only focus us but speed up the process too.

Rosie2167

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Quick shout out, Salty - thanks for starting the not a big fan board. I appreciate taking some of the noise off this string.

But don't forget to post your tweaks and other ideas over here.

tks!
Rosie

Rosie2167

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 12:57 pm

andycummings65 wrote:Reminder that most of this work has already been done by Bill. There's got to be a way to incorporate his gargantuan effort into the card addition process.

ABSOLUTELY! After realizing that Bill is fine with us using it I've made my own copy and have started to tag it for sorting. So between Bill's list and the work that you and others have done, once we decide on a focus of this add, I believe the process will pick up steam.

It seems to me a quick poll to the community could be the best way to gauge the desired direction. Any thoughts counter or in support of that?
R

andycummings65

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Red are those cards that got the most votes, then yellow I believe.

Rosie2167

Re: New ATG Cards coming! Franchise / Era Ambassadors Sign u

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 1:10 pm

george barnard wrote:
Bill - I know I've asked you this before but can you explain the colors and notes in the last column?

No problem, it really isn't very self-explanatory :oops:

The colors have to do with a system of informal polling that I conducted a few years ago. I polled SOM players here on fifty or so (if I remember correctly) potential card years on a monthly basis (this was at a time when no new cards were being added and it was our only way to maintain a bit of card-adding banter. The names in red were in the top 20 percentile of voting, yellow the next 20 percent, light blue the next 20 percent, dark blue, the next twenty percent, and purple the bottom 20 percent.

As for the acronyms, BRC is better representative card, BIP Bill's idiosyncratic pick, players that might somehow slip through the cracks, SITH Significant impact on team's history (team record holder), SSR Single season record, TEAM member of the best franchise team from 22-year clusters (see list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16Q7vZ0PsRFcvAXRHPUVhKqWG2k3SB-itvyqyvnC5HzQ/edit?authkey=CJWWpZUG&authkey=CJWWpZUG&pref=2&pli=1#gid=0), HOF best year of a member of Hall of Fame, CY and MVP are ...well, Cy and MVP, Aaron are the Aaron Award winners, WS are members of the 1932 World Series teams in an early attempt to include World Series teams (I realized -- duh -- that meant quite a bit of Yankees -- but 1932 had some good cards nonetheless). Most of these were from sort of general requests from players here( except BIP).

Bill

Bill was kind enough to provide the key above.

Rosie2167

Re: New ATG Cards coming! Phase 2 starts July 7

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Also I'm changing the subject of this forum as we will still take anyone after today that is interested in contributing to a Franchise or ERA if there's room. Phase 2 is theme focus and nominations.

BC15NY

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 2:56 pm

For you deadball guys...I'd love to see Strat add 1876 Al Spalding to the set...one of the true pioneers of the game and a great pitcher from the formative years...

Thanks,
Bill

andycummings65

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 3:29 pm

Rosie check PMs

Rosie2167

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 5:29 pm

SOM has agreed (yes I realize they have agreed before so please hold your collective sigh) to add 125 cards per year across 4 adds. The cadence will be something like Nov, Feb, May, Aug with the summer add being 50 cards.

Now its up to us to determine the theme of this 50 card add. I'll post that poll later tonight.

Everyone that has signed up for a Franchise or ERA, thank you. If you haven't already please start those separate posts to open up the collaboration about the cards you want to promote for nomination, this post will get way to cumbersome with posts about ALL the ERA's and Franchises. This should be done regardless of which way our theme goes for this add...as it will set us up well for future adds.

As a good starting point Andy is organizing Bill's spreadsheet per grouping and it will be available for all ambassadors to leverage here soon. Tks Andy and tks Bill and tks to all that participated in those votes in the years gone by.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions