Dumbest part of the game

All Football 365 talk goes here!

Moderator: Palmtana

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Whoopycat

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:23 am

Dumbest part of the game

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 9:15 pm

I'm tired of my players getting injured simply for having a good game. One of my wideouts catches 7 passes, then boom, doubtful for the next game due to overuse. Week 1 and 2 I scored 75 points and then I had 5 players doubtful for week 3.
You get penalized for success. Tight ends, forget about it. My last team I tried to run a 2 TE offense but if one of them caught 5 passes they were hurt the next week so I had to pick a different offense. I get that a guy with real life 120 carries shouldn't have 250 for the season but come on.
Offline

Whoopycat

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Dumbest part of the game

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 7:54 am

Also, a lot of these guys played 12-14 game seasons and I believe we calculate overuse on a 16 game pace. If they changed the overusage calculation to a 12 game basis it would help a lot.
Offline

Radagast Brown

  • Posts: 2925
  • Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: Dumbest part of the game

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 6:31 pm

It is dumb. They have the settings wrong. And they have over usage rules in place. Unlike the baseball game which doesn't limit players based on usage. It's not only dumb, it is confusing. And by the way, you are absolutely correct, many times players aren't available simply because they had a big game and have bumped up against the over usage rules.

By the way I know all of this because I have been playing the computer game for almost 20 years. I know exactly what rules and options they are using and it could easily be fixed.
Offline

Whoopycat

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Dumbest part of the game

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Next dumbest part of the game... penalties.

I feel like there are too many, but even then there are some dumb ones.

I've had multiple "mandatory penalty for 0 yards" on the other team that wiped out a good play for my team. Has anyone ever heard of a zero yard mandatory penalty in any football game ever? I can't even conceive of what that is.

Then there is HAL's logic. Last night, I made a field goal from my opponents 25. There was a penalty on my opponent that would've put me 1st & 10 at my opponents 12 yard line. HAL declined the penalty. A real NFL coach would've been run out of town for that.
Offline

Larryrickenbacker

  • Posts: 85
  • Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Dumbest part of the game

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 11:05 am

Whoopycat wrote:Next dumbest part of the game... penalties.

I feel like there are too many, but even then there are some dumb ones.

I've had multiple "mandatory penalty for 0 yards" on the other team that wiped out a good play for my team. Has anyone ever heard of a zero yard mandatory penalty in any football game ever? I can't even conceive of what that is.

Then there is HAL's logic. Last night, I made a field goal from my opponents 25. There was a penalty on my opponent that would've put me 1st & 10 at my opponents 12 yard line. HAL declined the penalty. A real NFL coach would've been run out of town for that.


Hal's logic follows conventional wisdom of never taking points off the board. Now if your team were behind by two scores or perhaps it's shortly before half-time or even very late in the 4th and your team trails by more than 3, that assessment could change. Hal still followed conventional wisdom.
Offline

Delonost19784

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:28 am

Re: Dumbest part of the game

PostTue May 02, 2023 2:47 am

i will try to figure it out for more
Offline

Pandemic

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 am

Sorry Will! (was Re: Dumbest part of the game)

PostSun May 12, 2024 12:21 am

Apologies for jumping on an dusty, old thread... but I have a very different nomination for the dumbest part of the game.

They ignored some very important stats when they baked the cards. Stats have progressed but S-o-M football just ignores many of them. You want an extreme example?

Okay, let's say you throw to a guy who made 100 catches like Davante Adams in 2022:
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/player/20 ... 22/1/52022
It's a darn studly card, worthy of a man with a 15.2 yards per catch. There is a major problem with this card: To get his 100 catches he was targeted 180 times, a 55.6% rate. His card is *all wrong*. His stats:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... amDa01.htm

Granted, part of that is on the QB. The top QBs throw catchable balls - but there's also what some call "soft hands".

Consider Will Dissly. Outstanding hands, he can really pull the ball in when it's close to him. Let's call him Mr. Soft-hands: He was #1 in the league in catch % at over 89%. Almost 9 out of 10! Missing 1/10 puts it at 3.6 chances, missing 11% makes it close to 4 chances. So he should "miss" the ball on a 5, let's check out his card.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/player/20 ... 22/1/52022

Whoops. On a flat pass vs a run defense, Mr. Soft-hands misses on 4,8,11. I count that at 10 chances. Something wrong here? This for a man who should average 4 missed chances right OR wrong.

Short passes are even worse, he has 14-20 chances of a miss.

When you get to the receiver card, you're already past the influence of the pass rush, the QB, the offensive line - I think it's reasonable to consider this to be a "target".

That is my nomination for the dumbest part of the game; Davante Adams (55%) and Tyreek Hill (70%) drop the same number of short passes. They all miss on a 7 (short pass vs a run defense). Let's not even talk about Dissly at 89%, his card is a travesty. Sorry Will!
Offline

STEVENSTEFFANNI

  • Posts: 188
  • Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Re: Dumbest part of the game

PostMon May 27, 2024 3:19 pm

FUNNY how often HAL rolls that 7 for WR SP card....

Return to Strat-O-Matic Football 365

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests