playoff injuries

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Big Fred Whitfield

playoff injuries

PostSun Sep 22, 2024 7:26 am

here's a question that hasn't come up (for me) before

I know in playoff series (i know now after asking) that there are "rest" days in between regular season and semis and also between semis and finals.....both of those "rest" days give pitchers time to recover from fatigue

it also seems correct that if one side of the semis end early (4 or 5 games for example) and the other side goes a full 7 games, that the team who won their semis in 4 or 5 games will have additional rest day(s) for their pitchers

based on that reasoning, what about injuries ?

I just won my current semifinal but had a player get injured for 2 additional games.....the other semi isn't finished yet, playing at least one more game....does that other semi's game #6 and possibly game #7 if going that far, count for my injured players games ?....

injuries and fatigue are about the same thing....."time"....time needed to recover

based on that reasoning again, it would seem that the "time" needed for the other semis to be completed would (in real life, hopefully also in SOM) allow for injured players to recover, same as pitcher fatigue

does anyone know the answer to this ?

will my injured player have to sit out "2 games played by team", even with rest day in between semis and finals and even with the other semis playing at least 1-2 more games ?....this would be a total of at least 2-3 'real life' days measured in time, and again, based on same premise as pitcher fatigue, should be measured and recovered as such

any input much appreciated, thanks

Big Fred Whitfield

Re: playoff injuries

PostMon Sep 23, 2024 4:54 pm

i found the answer to query no need to reply

for those that didnt know, my reasoning was correct and SOM credits “any games played” towards your team’s injured player games out….this wouldnt happen in regular season but should affect injuries that carryover into postseason

according to the league im in, it appears that

1. if your semifinals are finished before the other one and your team advances to finals, any games played (1-3 more) in the other semifinal will count towards any player injured on your team

2. rest days (that dont occur during regular season) also apply….meaning 2 games will come off your (carryover) injured player between end of season and semis, and 1 game between semis and finals (providing your team advances)

good to know and glad there wasn’t some anomaly allowing pitcher’s fatigue to recover during rest days or other games played and injuries

rebasnop

PostWed Oct 02, 2024 4:08 am

Injuries are counted by "games played" by the team, not by real-life calendar days or the progress of another playoff series. So, if your player is injured for two games, they will miss two actual games that your team plays, regardless of how many rest days or real-life days pass between the series.
Rest days: While rest days help pitchers recover, they usually don't have an impact on the number of games a player must sit out dueslope to injury. The reasoning behind this is that injury recovery is tied to game action, not just the passage of time.
In your case, even if the other semifinal series goes longer, your injured player will likely need to sit out two actual games played by your team in the finals. The rest days between series won't count toward the injury duration unless your specific simulation or league uses a different set of rules.

Big Fred Whitfield

PostWed Oct 02, 2024 6:43 pm

thank you

thats what Im noticing in current series but seems that didnt happen in a series just recently concluded....

im gonna double check and see if I can figure out if it was an anomaly or I was incorrect

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx