• Author

NMILSTEIN

Price Increase Effective 11/1

PostTue Oct 15, 2024 3:23 pm

The price for 365 teams is increasing to $25 on 11/1

Palmtana

Re: Price Increase Effective 11/1

PostTue Oct 15, 2024 3:55 pm

A letter from Hal Richman can be found on your Front Office page.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/announce/10_15_24

paul j kiggins

PostTue Oct 15, 2024 4:21 pm

wow 25% increase per team....than add 34% exchange from American to Canadian funds..making it around 33-34 Canadian per team....

NMILSTEIN

PostTue Oct 15, 2024 4:43 pm

paul j kiggins wrote:wow 25% increase per team....than add 34% exchange from American to Canadian funds..making it around 33-34 Canadian per team....

I would imagine we'll see less people playing with a 25% increase...especially new players. For a business with a rapidly aging customer base that may be a mistake.

paul j kiggins

PostTue Oct 15, 2024 4:50 pm

I would imagine we'll see less people playing with a 25% increase...especially new players. For a business with a rapidly aging customer base that may be a mistake.

Maybe HAL has taken over completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

sliph

PostTue Oct 15, 2024 6:42 pm

To Mr. Richman , I am sure you me :twisted: ant every word of your letter. Having owned a business, it sounds to me that your plan is to upgrade and expand the systeM to allow more ways to earn income while making the product more enjoyable. It also sounds like the plan to increase prices is so the cost of these upgrades ispaid for by us rather than reinvesting some of the profits. I hope you realise that at $20 dollars per season the game is not inexpensive. I understand it is a good product just fair warning, you will lose customers and discourage new ones. I am X and on a fixed income. I' m afraid my partIcipation will be less and I will be looking for other games to try. Good luck

Big Fred Whitfield

PostTue Oct 15, 2024 7:05 pm

I didn't see the letter, but if in fact they will make some improvements, especially listening and responding to mass feedback about some obvious things (don't steal 3rd with 2 outs, don't take an extra base down 4-5 runs, etc), then it at least warrants merit

I was of the assumption it was a simple cash grab, as the system is already built, and only maintenance and server needs along with other staff are required.....some of the increase could go to those people's pay raises, but again, that's both always a cost of management, and their attempts and level of success of passing those expenses onto their customers

BIRDWORLD

PostWed Oct 16, 2024 7:48 am

The statement "new programming team to modernize the underlying structure of 365" seems a clear acknowledgement that the game engine is compromised and/or broken, which I can see after only playing two seasons. I will not be back.

The number of times I've seen a RP come into a game and give up a HR to the first batter, both for and against my team, is ridiculously out of proportion. I've corresponded with other players and there seems to be a consistent pattern of certain teams' top-priced SP or RP constantly rolling 54-55% on hitters cards. Several of these players also notice uncanny and repetitive W/L patterns for teams that apparently kick in at a season's 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 point.

While I was researching some of these patterns with a few other players, who were going through their old teams and noticing the patterns mentioned above, and others, that was when all the archived Strat teams disappeared. Quite the coincidence.

The letter from Hal Richman only further proves to me that the game engine is broken, or, more likely, has been compromised to reward certain paying customers and punish others. As I said, I've only played this online game twice, after rolling dice for many years of my youth, but I only needed to play it twice to know I don't want to play it any more.

As for the confiscatory 25% price increase, StratOMatic seems to be pursuing a foolish pattern that's being pushed out of modern business schools, and embraced by other dying brands, like Disney and its parks: Keep raising prices for the "true believers" (who are actually called "suckers") as the customer base vanishes. This is a strange new counter-productive capitalist strategy that rarely if ever works out because more and more customers leave for greener pastures (compare Universal Parks attendance to Disneyland in Florida now, for example).

Best I can tell, the average age of an online Strat365 player is 65+. When that generation of players dies off, so too will the game. It makes me sad, but it makes me sadder that I was so looking forward to re-igniting my youthful passion for this game in a new digital age but all it did was convince me even further that everything in America has been broken and corrupted. Thanks, Hal.

Courtneylant

PostWed Oct 16, 2024 8:20 am

The game is great. I can't imagine how complex the coding is to produce the results it does.

Hal Richmond gave us a gift that for me now has continued from 1986 when I got my first player set, including amazing seasons from George Brett, Pedro Guerrero, Willie McGee and the like. It has continued to my age 52 year when I stumbled upon 365 in 2017.

I have spent way too time and money on this fanciful indulgence back to my youth. It has reinvigorated my love of baseball and i also watch way too much on tv and my phone as a result.

I will likely play less at the new price point but will keep my eye out for improvements. Running a business like being a leader in business is tough. If it results in a better game (I'm hopeful) then good luck to Strat, Hal and us.
-Alexander Supertramp

KRICHERT

PostWed Oct 16, 2024 9:09 am

It would be nice if Strat would offer one last sale for loyal customers. Maybe a five-team package of $72 (the previous sale price), limit one five-team pack per customer.
As it is, I’ll probably buy another five-team pack before the price hike, then milk it. That’ll give me some time to see if the game experience improves, and, frankly, to see if my own mediocre win-loss record improves. If I don’t see any changes on either front, then I’m probably out.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx