How Bad Can You Be?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

alk58

Re: How Bad Can You Be?

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:27 pm

4. Matching players with compatible players

I think that means you shouldn't have 9 guys with strong 1 columns. I try very hard not to have of the same card make up back to back and never in the top 6 of my lineup.
Please send all PM's to allank58@gmail.com

l.strether

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:31 pm

1. Player Evaluation
I spend the most time on this
2. Drafting Ability
Seems more important in keeper leagues.
Player evaluation is definitely number one for me and most people, It's why I have my reservations about the use of ratings guides. If ratings guides actually--and I'm not sure they do--do much of the player evaluation for a manager, then he Is letting someone else do his major SOM work for him. Again, though, what ratings guides do is up for debate.

I don't play many keeper leagues, but I'd say drafting is pretty huge in 20xx and Mystery leagues as well. I know most of my team-building work is done in the initial draft. Waivers are important, but an ace draft really sets you up, while a cruddy one can really doom you.

l.strether

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:34 pm

alk58 wrote:
4. Matching players with compatible players

I think that means you shouldn't have 9 guys with strong 1 columns. I try very hard not to have of the same card make up back to back and never in the top 6 of my lineup.

What I more mean is not having a team loaded with players meant for your own park. To try to mix in some players who would also succeed in others'--particularly divison rivals--parks. To not have all of your starting pitchers be right or left handed. To try and think about your team as functioning organism and not just a collection of players.

As to the 1 column thing, does that matter? Wouldn't it change with every new roll?

Badjam

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:35 pm

strecher... the more you reply, the more naive you seem. Somehow, after you asked me to explain how I knew what J's reply was, now I didn't understand him either? Dude... simple forum dialog. You can call it vernacular but I call it brains. Do you really need to go on for a few replies to explain your naivete in understanding peoples dialog?
Last edited by Badjam on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alk58

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:36 pm

when it comes to drafting 20xx I have only played 2007 once, 2008 once and just drafted my 1st 2009 team so drafting for these leagues I have built from the pitching out matched to a ballpark (so far so good) but 2009 I screwed up ended up 23rd on waivers yet my team is very flawed.

alk58

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:39 pm

As to the 1 column thing, does that matter? Wouldn't it change with every new roll?

ah the great question. do dice have a memory? Yes the odds are the same 1,2,3,4,5,6 will be rolled, BUT this is were the Law of Averages come in!!

Badjam

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Never seen a ratings guide but I think it offers the same as Diamond Dope. http://www.diamonddope.com/card_reader.cfm However, DD is geared more towards ATG.

l.strether

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:43 pm

Badjam wrote: Somehow, after you asked me to explain how I knew what J's reply was, now I didn't understand him either?

That phrase above makes no sense. If you want to call your special connection with J-Pav "brains," knock yourself out; it's not. If you have a special communication with J-Pav outside the rules of English, as you say, its vernacular, not "brains." So, as I said before, we'll agree you got his "special meaning" but it did not mean that in proper English, and nobody speaking proper English can be expected to agree with you.

Have a wonderful New Years, and let's move on.
Last edited by l.strether on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alk58

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Badjam I have tried to have a dialog with you, but you seem to have an agenda, Anyways something to eat and getting ready to watch my games.

alk58

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Badjam wrote:Never seen a ratings guide but I think it offers the same as Diamond Dope. http://www.diamonddope.com/card_reader.cfm However, DD is geared more towards ATG.

I have found diamond dope confusing, not sure how to use it. :?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx