How Bad Can You Be?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

l.strether

Re: How Bad Can You Be?

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 am

Badjam wrote:Looking at the cards is math. Yes,on base or no, out ... simple math.

This is a very intriguing point. I once said in another thread that the ratings guides evaluates cards for you because it "looks at the cards" and does the math for you. Some people disagreed, but Badjam's point--with which I agree--backs my statement up.

So, the ratings guides do do a significant part of the player evaluation for a manager. I think we should definitely factor in ratings guides usage (or non-usage) in evaluating the abilities and/or potential for success of a manager.

alk58

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:27 am

l.strether wrote:
Badjam wrote:Looking at the cards is math. Yes,on base or no, out ... simple math.

This is a very intriguing point. I once said in another thread that the ratings guides evaluates cards for you because it "looks at the cards" and does the math for you. Some people disagreed, but Badjam's point--with which I agree--backs my statement up.

So, the ratings guides do do a significant part of the player evaluation for a manager.

right I agree that is math after all it is a computer game. So no matter how we get to our 25 man roster something magically happens which makes us all believe we can manager are asses off..lol
Please send all PM's to allank58@gmail.com

Badjam

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:30 am

Yes, OBP is key, non outs. I know zero about ratings books but mix on base guys with extra base guys and success should follow.

l.strether

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:32 am

It all comes from whatever boosts our ego. When I've had a rough day at work, my wife sees it and tell me I'm the best 40-something surfer she knows. Those are the moments I do my team lineups; It hasn't failed me yet... ;)
Last edited by l.strether on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Badjam

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:33 am

alk58 wrote:
l.strether wrote:

So, the ratings guides do do a significant part of the player evaluation for a manager.

right I agree that is math after all it is a computer game. So no matter how we get to our 25 man roster something magically happens which makes us all believe we can manager are asses off..lol

Less Hal = more of our decisions, which unfortunately means less non DH leagues.

Badjam

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:38 am

l.strether wrote:It all comes from whatever boosts our ego. When I've had a rough day at work, my wife sees it and tell me I'm the best 40-something surfer she knows. Those are the moments I do my team lineups; It hasn't failed me yet... ;)

I'm sure others would prefer the ratings guide approach, but I prefer mine.

Backhanded compliment but whatever works. ;)

l.strether

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:41 am

Badjam wrote:
l.strether wrote:It all comes from whatever boosts our ego. When I've had a rough day at work, my wife sees it and tell me I'm the best 40-something surfer she knows. Those are the moments I do my team lineups; It hasn't failed me yet... ;)

I'm sure others would prefer the ratings guide approach, but I prefer mine.

Backhanded compliment but whatever works. ;)

Are you kidding? Kelly Slater is 42, and many of the Mavericks guys are over 40. Considering my wife is from Santa Cruz, her kind words for me are quite flattering... ;)

coyote303

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:47 am

I say this tongue-in-cheek. Well, mostly...

Any strategy game or sports simulation game has a spreadsheet under the hood. How good a game it is depends on how well it hides the fact that it's just a spreadsheet (with a random number generator) at its core. So maybe this isn't a good discussion; do we really want to know what's behind the curtain?!

"I am the great and powerful HAL..."

Badjam

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:51 am

Dude... reality says you are over forty... start digging the hole. :D ;) Says the guy over fifty...

Ninersphan

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 1:36 am

Ratings guide, What it is In A Nutshell.

I won't get dragged in to a debate over whether it is useful for all managers, or whether it, using one lessens you as a manager as some have suggested in other threads, but rather I will attempt to tell those of you using this thread for actual discussion/learning what it is.

First, it gets back to math. For those that don't know, each Strat card can be broken down into a number of chances each result has of turning up on a roll of the two 6 sided dice. There are three columns on each side with 12 results in each column numbered 2-12. Each positive result ( Hits, walks etc) is given a value, with the least common results of 2 & 12 each earning 1 point, 3 &11 2 points: 4 & 10 3 points and so on until we get to the 7 roll which is 6 points. In total, the results on each side of an advanced card total 108 points. ( Split results are are give a decimal reading, so a split result of 1-10 being a hit, 11-20 being an out on the 2 or 12 roll would count as .5 or half of 1).

As an example of a good leadoff card ( at least for the on base), you generally want a player with 40 or more points of results that get the player on base, whether by hit, walk or HBP on both sides of the card.

So assuming you all understand that basic concept, all the ratings guide does, is the result counting for you. It tells you how many points of hits, on base, gbA's ( helpful for seeing high potential of double play victims) Ball Park HR's etc. It also tells you what the players defensive ratings are, their bunt rating, steal rating, hit & run rating etc.

What it does not do, is tell you where on the card the points fall.

As a quick and dirty example:

Hitter A has 18 points of OB, hitter B has 18 points of on base, seems the same right?

Well hitter A a has Single** on each 7 in all 3 columns ( in know this doesn't actually happen I'm just making an absurd example to make it easy to understand)

While hitter B Has Single** on the 4 and 10 rolls of each column? Who has the better card?? I think most would agree it's hitter A. ( or maybe they really are statistically the same, I never took statistics and that's a discussion that I know is over my head)

So is the rating guide a replacement for looking at the cards???

I'm pretty sure I've shown it isn't, but is it a tool helpful in evaluating the cards for things like overall power, propensity to hit into double plays, clutch ratings, etc??

Yes, especially because the ratings guide is released about a month before the cards are. For people in keeper leagues, it helps evaluate off season trades, and begins to help the manager have and idea of the relative strengths and weakness of their teams.

Hope this helps, for those that have never seen the ratings guide, and wondered what all the fuss was about.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx