5 halves Theme league - Toronto50 is up

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

2cityfan

Re: 5 halves Theme league - chase is up

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 11:33 am

ycbill wrote:
2cityfan wrote:@YCBILL

I brought that up to Geekor when he started the league.. If you draft the Angels hitting you do NOT get Ohtani.. If you draft Angels Pitching you get Ohtani (and my assumption was you can use him as a hitter too)... essentially you get Ohtani as a player, hitting and pitching if you draft Angels Pitching..

From geekor's response:

but with most of the unleashed being hitters, I will add him as a pitcher. I just hope the simulation doesn't pinch hit him.

Doesn't that suggest he should not be used as a DH?

You are right YCBILL, once we figure out who has rights to Ohtani (as a player), he can be used as a hitter or pitcher just by the nature of how his unique card is managed by the game engine.. Geekor's comment above seems to indicate you can only draft him (and use him as a pitcher), but that really does not make sense in the context of how this league is being set up.. @Geekor can you clarify?

geekor

Re: 5 halves Theme league - LMBombers is up

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 11:43 am

Actually that was what I meant.

The spirit of the theme is to separate the hitter from the pitcher. Ohtani nature makes that very hard to do.

So my intention was just to use half of ohtani. Though I'm never a hard ass on things like this. If the others want to use him fully, I'm fine with that as well.

toronto50

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 11:54 am

Why not impose a 2 pick requirement so whomever drafts the angels uses two picks and gets the whole team

2cityfan

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 12:57 pm

toronto50 wrote:Why not impose a 2 pick requirement so whomever drafts the angels uses two picks and gets the whole team

Interesting option but is it too late to make that stipulation?

My thoughts on Ohtani is that we really don't have full control of the game engine and Ohtani could get dropped in as a hitter at any time.. And let's be honest, part of the reason his card is priced because he is an elite pitcher AND hitter.. I know this theme league is meant to break up teams into pitching and hitting units, but he is the Only exception.. My vote is if you draft Angels pitching, (or Angels team per Toronto50's idea); Ohtani is yours as a hitter and pitcher...

RandyW64

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 1:01 pm

I would be in favor of counting it as two picks as well - hitting and pitching. The uniqueness of Ohtani has changed strat and the way things are done. We can adapt as well. Just my "newcomer" thoughts.

traderider

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 1:09 pm

...I would vote for counting the Angels as 2 picks as well, Ohtani's price is too prohibitive for single-use, but if dual use is allowed, I might consider picking them... :)

ycbill

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 1:10 pm

I have been in a similar league where Ohtani was hitter only and he got 0 action as a pitcher. So it can be done. Just way over-priced for a half player.

Musial6

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 1:16 pm

traderider wrote:...I would vote for counting the Angels as 2 picks as well, Ohtani's price is too prohibitive for single-use, but if dual use is allowed, I might consider picking them... :)

That's probably the best option, but at what point in the draft do you interject that ruling?

toronto50

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 1:24 pm

The value of the ohtani card is the pitching card. The hitting card is not overwhelming to me and believe it wil not produce the numbers from his season.

Anyone want the whole LAA team???

All of the team halves need to be assigned so how would it be determined who gets the card?? One team would select him as per the pitching first suggestion at start of draft??

Musial6

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 1:33 pm

I would suggest at the end of this round 2, ask for another random number generator, and from that - poll each of the managers in turn if they would like to select that option - Angels complete squad as their next two picks.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx