Starting Pitcher in relief during playoffs

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Chompsky

Starting Pitcher in relief during playoffs

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi, I am a newb who somehow stumbled into the playoffs in my first ever strat league (1986 replay).

I've been using Lacoss religiously as my fourth starter every four days (he is: R S7*/R3) during the regular season and during the first four playoff games. But since it is a best of seven, and he just pitched game four (nine innings), I can't use him as a starter anymore...

Therefore my question is this: Can I use him relief now? Does he need a certain amount of rest now?
Can he pitch out of the bullpen starting tonight with game 5? Game 6? Game 7?

Thanks for any info for this newb!!!!!

Semper Gumby

Re: Starting Pitcher in relief during playoffs

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 8:48 pm

He can pitch in relief but HAL may slightly fatigue him before he comes into game.

You have nothing to lose by pulling him from the rotation and slotting him for relief. You try using the F# settings to avoid him getting shelled if you're using a slow hook setting.

durantjerry

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 7:20 am

I have had good success starting guys who have recently relieved, but I too would be worried that he might be slightly fatigued when he comes into a game. If your mop up men leave something to be desired, it's probably not a bad idea to have him fill some of the lesser relief roles, but I would be hesitant to put him in a major role when he just recently started.

Chompsky

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks for these great replies Semper Gumby and Durantjerry!!

My starter/reliever in question piched nine innings Tuesday night in game four of the first round of the playoffs for our league.

I gave him off last night (Wednesday night)--and since that was game five of the playoffs, there was just a single game last night.

I am considering slotting him into the bullpen tonight (Thursday night) for game six...but am on the fence...

Game seven will be Friday night, maybe I should rest him until game seven. It all depends on how tired he would be if I use him tonight.

Any other ideas on what kind of fatigue, if any, he will suffer from, if he relieves tonight?

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx