Account Sign-Out Noted for Posterity

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

TomSiebert

Account Sign-Out Noted for Posterity

PostWed Jun 05, 2024 8:31 am

I was signed out of my account last night after Game 42 was played and had to sign back in.

This has happened to me numerous times during the play of Strat0Matic 365. At least six, maybe eight. Every single time it's happened to me, I've had a team with a winning record play between .331 and .334 ball the rest of the way. It twice happened where my team had double-digit division leads at the midpoint yet ended up not even making the post-season. There were several other repetitive patterns that came along with the sudden dives, one of which I've already seen emulated but will keep to myself for now as I watch this play out.

The shadiness was one of the reasons I quit playing the game for a year. But since Strat offered me a 2 team deal for the price of one, I figured I'd give it a shot, and keep notes to see if it happens again.

So I'm noting it. Let's see where it goes from here.

BIRDWORLD

Re: Account Sign-Out Noted for Posterity

PostWed Jun 05, 2024 9:19 am

That's very interesting. I was signed out of my team after Game 30. I was 19-11 at the time. Leading my division. My team has gone 5-13 since.

I played StratOMatic as a kid for years. Only learned about the online game a few weeks ago. Interestingly, the guy who told me about it said he liked it for a while. But he stopped playing. Because he concluded the results were not organic. That somebody was controlling results behind the scenes. He said this started happening after Hal Richmond handed over control of the company to his son. He said a lot of former players have left.

This will be a very short 365 experience for me if this keeps up. But they'll kill their own company if there's any truth to it. It sounds like there are a lot of people who think there is. Anyone else have similar experiences? Especially after being signed out of their account?

Big Fred Whitfield

PostWed Jun 05, 2024 3:28 pm

I was just signed out of my account today, which was odd, cause it rarely if ever happened

i've only a handful and a half of teams/leagues played, and i've already encountered enough bad luck and unreasonable results due to HAL (computer algorithm), even without this latest news....

although, whenever I rant about it, I seem to receive a lot of negative feedback and reasons why those odd results happened, even though I've seen so many threads/posts like this one

i won't argue with the naysayers (or maybe Im with the naysayers, and the opposite views and "yay" sayers lol), but there's a reason for the old expression, "where there's smoke, there's fire"

it would be so nice for more transparency, more consistent results, even if losing, rather than the wild fluctuations that either cause such complaints, or create unsurety and decreases confidence in the game integrity

LMBombers

PostSat Jun 08, 2024 6:37 am

Most of us played SOM with cards and dice as a kid and are now playing the online version. Don't think that just because you played as a kid you have a leg up on everyone here and will just start winning championships. Just like any kind of game you have to learn the nuances of the game to be successfull. The cards and dice vs online games are very different. With cards and dice there is no salary cap which greatly evens out the talent among the teams in the league for instance.

Play a few teams, read the forums. Experience brings knowledge of things that work and things that don't. After leagues are finished check out the rosters of the teams in the league with the best winning % and look at their roster makeup. Keep in mind there and lots of different ways to be successful. Picking a park and playing to what makes that park different from others is a great start.

I've enjoyed playing the online game for over 20 years now. Does that mean I dominate leagues? Nope, look at my winning %, Doesn't mean I don't enjoy all the leagues I'm in. I am still learning all the time. I also enjoy theme leagues and trying out new strategies and ways to win. Some work out and some don't. If you go in with the mindset of just trying to learn and having fun you will enjoy the online game. If you have to make the playoffs every other league you are in and win the championship everytime you do make the playoffs then you will just be left frustrated and hate it.

Big Fred Whitfield

PostSat Jun 08, 2024 10:14 am

Bombers, good advice " If you go in with the mindset of just trying to learn and having fun you will enjoy the online game. If you have to make the playoffs every other league you are in and win the championship everytime you do make the playoffs then you will just be left frustrated and hate it."

however, everyone is different with different motivations and enjoyment....some get the enjoyment from winning, not only from competing....

Vince Lombardi said "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

I heard a paraphrase of that by Pete Rose once, "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a perennial loser."

I never thought that to mean, "be a poor sport" or "be a bad loser"

but, I always took from it, "don't accept losing (so) easily, or it might become more commonplace"

albeit from a short history/experience with the online version (SOM/365), but more so from a long history of fantasy sports competition, and even my childhood sports memories, and of course following my favorite pro teams all these years, losing has still never left a good taste in my mouth, and it's difficult to 'enjoy the participation' only when not winning

I realize, no team of any kind can win all the time.....golfers say "just put yourself in a position to win", and then let the chips fall where they may

Im not arguing or disagreeing with anything you wrote, and perhaps/probably, my mindset isn't the healthiest....(competitive, hates to lose, etc.).....however, sometimes those feelings can be positive also and drive/motivate us to successes.....

I wouldn't expect to win a title every postseason I made, just like pro teams don't...but, if I were old enough to have suffered through my favorite b-ball team's (Lakers) tough 1960's decade, where they made like 7 or 8 finals and didn't win any, that would have been excruciating as a fan, and likely more so as a player (see jerry West, et al).....so, a reasonable rate of championship success in postseason play is acceptable for me

i guess everyone has different motivations, and criteria for enjoyment, success, etc....

during any analysis, if I see/know my team was inferior, it's much easier to accept loss.....but when it seems/or is actually bad luck, those are much harder to accept

I think what the original poster was alluding to, wasn't specifically bad luck, but perhaps bad luck results because of inconsistent or flawed or whatever computer results/process/algorithm, etc.....

when anything isn't completely clear, and it's causing issues, it's natural to suspect and be wary

I still think your overall advice is good for many/most people and I should probably drink more from that cup

but as the saying goes, "it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks" haha

STEVEJENSEN

PostThu Jul 04, 2024 8:30 am

I hadn’t thought anything of it until I read this post but I’ve been signed out quite a bit lately where it was never an issue in the past. The only reason I noticed this post is because I came on this form for the first time in years to see if there was any post that alluded to how Strat has changed significantly? Something seems off.

I’ve never complained about anything in my “Strat life” because I know it’s a game of chance. BUT, I currently have 5 teams that all had home playoff series (I have a significant home advantage in each) and went a combined 1-14. I’ve never witnessed anything like that in the 20 years I’d been playing online. I think I’ve won around 50 championships so I know how to construct teams to take advantage of other teams weaknesses and feel like I do a decent job of that and I specifically tailor my teams to take advantage of my home ballpark so this was a real eye opener.

Something has definitely changed as far as how these games play out but I can’t put my finger on it and was hoping to find a post that may lend some clarity. I’m likely just going to retire from strat after my 5 current teams finish their seasons unless one happens to win a playoff series. Because something has definitely changed … and not in a good way.

chasenally

PostThu Jul 04, 2024 4:27 pm

I have noticed that when I am logged into my computer and then go on my phone at work I can sometimes come home and be logged out of my computer.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

BIRDWORLD

PostWed Jul 17, 2024 6:55 am

Returning to this post. After a season's experience, it's clear to me that the StratOMatic online game is either fixed or broken.

I just finished my first season. After many years playing the board game in my youth. Bought two teams on a deal.After I finish my second team, I will not return. If I even decide to play it. This online game is obviously inherently flawed. Or something worse.

The programming for 365 is either faulty or fixed. I simply don't trust it. Others have told me there is a small group who control the game results to reward themselves. I believe it.

People have told me there are several ways to "fix" a team. One of them is to skew results so a good pitcher sees a majority of rolls fall on a hitters card and vice versa.

My first team in a 2016 league I drafted relief pitcher Dan Otero. He's a lights-out reliever who for much of the season had a replicated ERA more than 3x what it was in the regular season (it ended up "merely" 2.5x). I checked the splits: 441 rolls on the hitters card. 362 rolls on the pitchers card. That's a 55%/45% split. The probability of that happening after 803 rolls is a staggeringly low 0.000577. There is a one in 1,733 chance of that happening.

I invite you to check for yourself: https://www.omnicalculator.com/statisti ... robability

In the recent playoffs that my team just lost, Otero pitched in 3 games. He lost one, with an era of 5.78. During these playoffs, the splits were even worse: 4 pitchers / 13 hitters (23%/77%) . After his first appearance (which we were already losing), 13 of the last 14 rolls were on a hitters card, and 11 in a row at the end as we were being eliminated. All six of the players he faced in his final appearance the rolls fell on hitters cards. Both the pitchers who came in after him ALSO had 100% of the rolls fall on hitters cards. Of course we lost.

According to math, the probability of obtaining eleven heads in a row when flipping a coin is 0.000488, meaning it is an extraordinarily rare event that is expected to happen once in every 2,048 attempts.

There are other blatant oddities I noticed that I will keep to myself for now. But mathematics strongly suggests the results of this game are either being controlled by someone, or the game itself is inherently flawed. Either way, it cannot be trusted. It does not deserve my money. It will not get any more of mine. Whether it deserves yours or not is a personal choice. Perhaps made easier by whether you're on the "inside" or not."

rebasnop

PostThu Jul 18, 2024 9:39 pm

chasenally wrote:I have noticed that when I am logged into my computer and then go on my phone at work I can sometimes come home and be logged out of my computersnow rider

How is this possible? Before, I always worked in parallel but I've never been exported to any device.

chasenally

PostFri Jul 19, 2024 7:55 pm

rebasnop wrote:
chasenally wrote:I have noticed that when I am logged into my computer and then go on my phone at work I can sometimes come home and be logged out of my computersnow rider

How is this possible? Before, I always worked in parallel but I've never been exported to any device.

Don't know but when I am on the road and drafting it happened sometimes.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx