Trading - Pet peeve

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

TRW

Re: Trading - Pet peeve

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 pm

andycummings65 wrote:The ability to "trade" cash as part of a deal and the ability to choose a player to drop as part of a trade would both go a long way towards making trades occur more often

The problem would be how much cash is acceptable to trade. I think this would open the door to disasterous abuse especially in 200m cap. I can just see someone playing in Hilltop and trading a $6 player and 20m for Ralph Kiner.

I do agree there needs to be an easier way to complete a trade. There been too many times when I make an offer and I can't get the money to balance. I would be okay with a nominal amount, say $1.

Valen

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 12:08 am

I thought the ability to choose a player to drop was already now built in to the trade page.
Being able to trade cash would open the door to too many abuses and shady deals. I would be real unhappy if I was having to live on an 80 mil budget while one of my opponents had 85 mil or whatever available because he was able to sucker some guy in to giving him 5 mil.

andycummings65

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Trade cash to get a deal done. Once the deal is done, you would have to get back to the cap number through drops/other transactions

motherscratcher

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 5:17 pm

I've made a few trades, but they are never going to be a big part of the game no matter what SOM does to try to facilitate them. There are just too many players to choose from to convince me to give up a guy I really want for a guy who's probably only slightly better than whoever is available in FA.

I get where the OP is coming from, but I have no idea why anyone would give up a starting player that they drafted high for someone another team is actively trying to get rid of. And there's nothing wrong with picking up a dropped player in FA that wasn't worth trading Ty Cobb or Willie Mays for.

TRW

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 9:54 pm

andycummings65 wrote:Trade cash to get a deal done. Once the deal is done, you would have to get back to the cap number through drops/other transactions

I like the idea, but what are the consequences if you do not cut salary to get back to the cap? Do you forfeit the games you are due to play the night the trade is accepted? Or is the trade validated, but you can not use the player(s) received in the trade until your cap is back in compliance? What if your trade is accepted, but you don't check your team for a few days?

I just had an idea about having a $5 mill cash payroll. Say you are in a 200m cap game. In addition, all teams would have a 5 mill cash payroll to be used for trading only. Your cap (200m) plus cash payroll (5m) can never exceed 205m. You can replenish your cash payroll if your cap exceeds 200m thru a transfer of funds (cap to cash), however, your cash payroll can not exceed 5 mill. If you have more than 200m cap plus your cash payroll is maxed at 5 mill, you have to adjust your roster to bring it back to 200m/5m.

TRW

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 10:40 pm

There definitely needs to be some sort of cash trading solution (small amounts less than 1 mill) to this problem.

I was making offers to multiple teams in a new league, and most of my offers were off less than .60. The last offer was off .04.

Kind of crazy to keeping adding players to a deal to try and make the $ work.

I would also like to see postion requirements relaxed when trying to do a trade. For instance trying to trade a SP when you only have 5. Or trying to trade a catcher when you have 2.

Get the trade to go thru, then each owner can fix their rosters.

Valen

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 11:16 am

Allowing any roster to go illegal for any period of time with respect to money or positions is just asking for trouble.
What happens when a team roster gets illegal and an owner leaves it that way. Remember the flap a few months ago when someone found tricky ways to end up with only one catcher making cards like Josh Gibson and Mauer injury proof?

In the end I don't think passing cash will make a difference. If you can trade me even just 1 mil then I am likely to push the envelope on trading to get a roster close to 81 mil, or 101 mil, or... The only difference will be I shift from trying to fit a trade in to an 80 mil cap to trying to fit it under 81 mil.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats