Successful Triple Steal - But WHY???

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Sweet Swinging 26

Re: Successful Triple Steal - But WHY???

PostSat May 25, 2024 11:48 am

Probably gonna shoot a message Strat's way to see if they have an answer.

TEAM SETTINGS:
Stealing = EXTRA CONSERATIVE
Bunting = EXTRA CONSERVATIVE
Hite & Run = EXTRA CONSERVATIVE

INDIVIDUAL PLAYER SETTINGS
Cobb = NO check boxes marked for stealing
Milan = NO check boxes marked for stealing
Molina = Don't Steal Checked
Hargrove = Don't Bunt & Don't H&R BOTH Checked

AND, Righetti has a -3 HOLD rating.

Based on those settings I can't see any feasible reason why the triple steal or squeeze was attempted.

What manager in their right mind would attempt a triple steal (or squeeze based on settings) in that situation, with those team settings and that pitcher on the mound???? Makes no sense to me.

And again, I truly do appreciate the input/insights, that is why I posted in the first place to see if someone was picking up on something that I missed.

MaxPower's blown squeeze attempt seems the most likely but with those settings, it shouldn't have been attempted anyways.

Outta Leftfield

PostSun May 26, 2024 10:09 pm

My guess is that HAL sent Cobb to steal home.
HAL was stealing with wild abandon in that inning. Rickey Henderson was thrown out stealing second for the first out. No check mark for stealing means a player CAN attempt to steal, and steal attempts can happen even with a setting of Extra Conservative. So, Rickey is thrown out trying to steal. It not easy to throw Rickey out, but it happens.
Then three guys get on, with Cobb on third. Cobb is a great stealing threat, and your team has a 1 run lead.
My guess is that HAL decided to risk the steal of home in this situation.
That seems to me more likely than a missed bunt or hit and run.
My own experience with the combo of a team setting of Extra Conservative H&R and Bunt and all players marked "Don't" is that I go through a whole season without any attemps.
So, strange as it seems, I think this was a steal attempt. It's not an entirely crazy play, with Cobb on 3rd and your team with a 1 run lead late in the game. And with Rickey have attempted a steal earlier in the inning.

Sweet Swinging 26

PostMon May 27, 2024 6:29 pm

Outta Leftfield wrote:My guess is that HAL sent Cobb to steal home.
HAL was stealing with wild abandon in that inning. Rickey Henderson was thrown out stealing second for the first out. No check mark for stealing means a player CAN attempt to steal, and steal attempts can happen even with a setting of Extra Conservative. So, Rickey is thrown out trying to steal. It not easy to throw Rickey out, but it happens.
Then three guys get on, with Cobb on third. Cobb is a great stealing threat, and your team has a 1 run lead.
My guess is that HAL decided to risk the steal of home in this situation.
That seems to me more likely than a missed bunt or hit and run.
My own experience with the combo of a team setting of Extra Conservative H&R and Bunt and all players marked "Don't" is that I go through a whole season without any attemps.
So, strange as it seems, I think this was a steal attempt. It's not an entirely crazy play, with Cobb on 3rd and your team with a 1 run lead late in the game. And with Rickey have attempted a steal earlier in the inning.

Seems "reasonable", don't like it but guess it could be the case. Thanks for your input.

PJ Axelsson

PostTue May 28, 2024 11:00 am

trying to fully control HAL is like trying to fully control the weather...you can only do so much

We all know the game engine isn't perfect. Just think of a weird HAL decision as a bad bounce, or sun in the fielder's eyes.

Big Fred Whitfield

PostTue May 28, 2024 3:09 pm

PJ axelson wrote. "trying to fully control HAL is like trying to fully control the weather...you can only do so much"

you mean, like women ??!!
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats