Earned runs?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

labratory

Earned runs?

PostSun May 26, 2024 8:02 pm

I noticed that Slim Jones was charged with 4 earned runs in this inning. But with the error, I can't figure out how all 4 runs were earned. Is this just a glitch or does some weird scoring rule come into play?

0 R.Jackson 6-11 Single (RF) b-1 fly(RF)x F9
0 1 D.Justice 3-9 Single (CF) 1-2 b-1 F9
0 12 O.Charleston 1-5 Walk 2-3 1-2 b-1 F9
0 123 B.Lowe 3-8 Pop Out (SS) b-0 F9
1 123 B.Petway 6-10 1 Base Error - SS 3-H 2-3 1-2 b-1 gb(SS)x F9
1 123 G.Swindell 4-6 Single (RF) 3-H 2-o 1-3 b-2 F9
2 23 R.Hebner 3-9 Single (RF) 3-H 2-H b-2 F9
2 2 F.Crosetti 1-5 Ground Out (SS) b-0 F9

barrmorris

Re: Earned runs?

PostSun May 26, 2024 9:41 pm

Not a scoring expert but here's my guess.

When Petway reached base on error, the ruling was that it should have been a force at second with a result that there are 2 outs, runners on 1st and 3rd, and 1 run scored(earned because it would have scored eve without the error)

Next batter singles, scoring runner on third (earned). The runner on second is thrown out at home but that runner shouldn't have existed, so if there had been no error there would not have been an out on this play. The next single scores the remaining 2 runs (earned).

So, none of the runners that scored reached base because of an error, and none of the runs that scored did so because play was prolonged by an error.

labratory

PostMon May 27, 2024 1:00 pm

That sounds plausible. I noticed that Petway got an RBI on the play, so HAL must have determined that the shortstop conceded the run and made the error trying to get one of the other runners.

Big Fred Whitfield

PostMon May 27, 2024 2:26 pm

Im remembering my take from previous research or experience

I believe this is why they were all earned....

it doesnt matter what runners moved up, or anything on that play (the error)

it matters (if I remember correctly) that even if that play would have resulted in an out (like a strikeout) with no runners advancing or scoring, the next two plays were both hits, which would have scored the runs anyway

I believe that's the criteria, that the runs would have been earned either way, even with an out, so in this case the error didn't create more runs (except the batter who reached on an error) and that batter (Petway) never scored (thrown out at home on final play of inning).....so, his getting on base was result of error, but the important factor here is that "no runs scored as a result of an error" (more than they would have with no error)

that's how I recall it, I could be wrong, expert opinion it's definitely not, just what i remember from a long time ago

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats