Trading - Pet peeve

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

TRW

Trading - Pet peeve

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 10:44 pm

You know what ticks me off?

When you make numerous offers of players you own to other teams. No one "is interested" in the player you are trying to trade...so you drop the player. Then a few minutes later another owner picks that player up...

Or...you make a number of offers for a player on another team. They decline your offers. Then they go on to drop the player you were trying to trade for...

nomo4evers

Re: Trading - Pet peeve

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 12:33 pm

I have had that happen quite a few times. All I can figure is they didn't want to give up the players I wanted,but when I released him they could get him and drop whatever player they no longer wanted.

macnole

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 8:38 pm

i wish something would be done to make more trading possible. It would really add a good element to the game, especially for teams that start slowly so the season doesnt become disposable after 80 games

many have offered solutions to make it better...to this point ignored.

TRW

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 pm

JMO, If you want more trading, eliminate extreme stadiums. (But, only from Standard Leagues. ADV leagues would still have all available stadiums).

Too many guys fight over the same type of players. Everyone plays copycat and goes for the right hand power stadium. It forces everyone to try and get those types of players, not just the team(s) playing in that stadium. Then you have a roadblock trying to trade.

boyer14

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 10:21 pm

I understand the desire for more trades, but macnole is right - there are ways to change this game to make it much easier to trade and they have not been acted upon (yet?).

It is often much easier to make the needed roster adjustments if you can pick up somebody that has been cut loose than trying to make the numbers work right for a trade.

macnole

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 am

Yeah the salary limits have to be relaxed. After all, you're permitted to drop people for a penalty to your cap. It's too restrictive to try and make the salary work. Anyone got ideas on salary changes? Maybe push it to the "Wishlist". Not sure if the wishlist is a pipe dream or not, but what the heck.

The more interaction among players they can make possible to the game while in season, the better.

Valen

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 2:07 pm

As the player pool has grown in ATG trading has become less of a tool for team building. I love to trade but quite often people are not offering anything better than what is available for free off the FA wire. And just as often when I want a specific player everything I have of similar salary value is not much better if any than what is available.

Add to that if I have say 2 great shortstops most do not want to offer fair value because they know I cannot keep them both. I remember once having Ruth and Aaron in RF. All I got offered was useless bench players because as most argued one of those was destined for my bench anyway. So they were only offering stuff off their bench. :lol:

I think one thing that might help is a minor league reserve. If we could have 40 man rosters with 15 of our cards designated as minor leaguers it would make a huge difference. To limit excessive stashing we would be charged 10% or some other percentage of said designated cards. We would then retain rights to those cards and with a slight transaction fee be able to call them up in event of injury. Then teams would not be able to play the waiting game knowing we will have to drop players because I won't have to. Once i am offered fair value naturally I am pulling the trigger.

bontomn

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 pm

I like the idea of a minor reserve squad, but 15 players seems far too big a reserve. Playing the board game in a year-to-year keeper league, we had a 5-player cab squad that could be utilized only for specific time periods -- 5-game, 10-game or 15-game callups. It made for a few agonizing decisions.

TRW

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Valen wrote:As the player pool has grown in ATG trading has become less of a tool for team building. I love to trade but quite often people are not offering anything better than what is available for free off the FA wire. And just as often when I want a specific player everything I have of similar salary value is not much better if any than what is available.

Add to that if I have say 2 great shortstops most do not want to offer fair value because they know I cannot keep them both. I remember once having Ruth and Aaron in RF. All I got offered was useless bench players because as most argued one of those was destined for my bench anyway. So they were only offering stuff off their bench. :lol:

I think one thing that might help is a minor league reserve. If we could have 40 man rosters with 15 of our cards designated as minor leaguers it would make a huge difference. To limit excessive stashing we would be charged 10% or some other percentage of said designated cards. We would then retain rights to those cards and with a slight transaction fee be able to call them up in event of injury. Then teams would not be able to play the waiting game knowing we will have to drop players because I won't have to. Once i am offered fair value naturally I am pulling the trigger.

JMO, but an additional 15man reserve would pretty much totally eliminate trading all together. I would not be against an expanded roster of say 5 players, but 15 is excessive. I would also put a cap on the 5 man bench, say up to 10% of the cap game you are playing. (ex. - 200m cap - w/cap of 5 player bench = 20mill)

andycummings65

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 pm

The ability to "trade" cash as part of a deal and the ability to choose a player to drop as part of a trade would both go a long way towards making trades occur more often
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats