Perfect Pitcher Test

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Sweet Swinging 26

Perfect Pitcher Test

PostSun Jul 07, 2024 8:04 am

The recent post about pitcher fielding led me to create an experimental team with all what I would call "perfect" pitchers:

Minus hold ratings, 0 balk, 0 wild pitch and all a 1e0 or 2e0 fielding rating.

There are only about 25-30 pitchers that actually fit that bill, so pickings were kinda slim and I went with super high quality defense behind them, so this will be an interesting team that has the potential to really fail miserably unless the perfect pitchers come through.

Here's the team: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1776595

Mattw0909

Re: Perfect Pitcher Test

PostSun Jul 07, 2024 1:11 pm

Nice. I like the idea. Also like that I’m in your division and will be able to get a front row seat to watch this team build. A different post on these boards inspired my team. I was reading someone talk about gates brown playing like 10 innings at first so i decided to make him platoon 1b for a team.

Denorien

PostSun Jul 07, 2024 5:19 pm

I looked at your career results and you have a great track record of success. So, I'm hesitant to offer a suggestion. Nevertheless, you asked for feedback, so here goes.

I often play pitching and defense type teams. Sometimes with power, sometimes without. A consistent key for me is winning close / late / extra innings, and holding leads with this type of team. My closer is often the Fireman winner and occasionally the Cy Young. I just finished a 'Ted Lasso' theme season '8' on July 3rd with a 104- 58 record (and championship). My closer, Lindy McDaniel was the Cy Young though not with lights out numbers. 12 - 6, 35 saves, 11 blown saves, 3.40 ERA and 1.21 whip. The team was 14-2 XI and 37-16 1run.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1768123

You know where I am going here, you'd have to swap around your roster to make the cap space. But, a solid closer might be a difference maker. I've had great results with Gagne who is a fine fielder. But, he's very expensive. There are others to consider.

(You) Playoffs ~50% (51 / 96) of the time and 14 championships is super. I didn't try to find your other teams to see what those bullpens looked like. I would not be able to win with this team's relivers.

Big Fred Whitfield

PostSun Jul 07, 2024 6:02 pm

Denorious

if you're speaking of thread creator "sweet swingers", I wholeheartedly agree

im a newbie to this format (started playing SOM in mid to late 70s, but admittedly didn't play from 1980-2010+.......I did start fantasy sports around 1999-2000 and have been a 20 year vet there

so my inexperience here isn't isolated all by itself

i've actually in about half my 5-6 completed leagues and 3 others on going with this GM swinger (or sweet, i was hesitant to select a nickname lol, perhaps "SS" would be less challenging LOL").....he always proven to be super worthy competitor, even if snakebit by that rapscallion "Harold", more than a few times, including playoffs

Im sure the bonding and "realness" of this game and format goes well beyond W-L, stats, championships

when I was 14 years old in HB, I probably (and definitely regarding sports) small group of friends ever.....we were about the same age, we weren't just "fans", from APBA and Stratomatic (and from my earliest forays with a few years playing Cadaco All Star Baseball (my mom had nightmares about the "spinners", she called that noise the "Chinese Water Torture", one not so bad, but millions in repitition like a bomb going off in your head every few seconds), where from there and voraciously reading non-fiction and fiction sports, i learned of so many greats of yesteryear (and in late 60s' / early 70's it wasn't THAT much before like it is not 100 years or so long past, give a decade(s) or so either way

and the best part of ALL of that was the cameraderie.....talking, boasting, being humbled, loving, competing, being friends, playing sports against and with each other.....those 2 years were my best as a child, never replicated

and where I was introduced to SOM at a local rec center by youth group leader "Jim".....i used to get so excited when my team (Favorite '65 Indians) would hit a HR (Colavito, Daddy Wags Leon Wagner, Max Alvis, and my namesake, 1B Fred Whitfield (who's i'd quip when getting ready to roll his dice, a la his walk up to the plate, "Big" Fred Whitfield

and if my team homered, i could not for the life of me contain my excitement....each and every time....to the point where the rec center leader, aforementioned "Jim" had to politely tell me that if I wanted/needed/must react that way, I would need to go outside, and not disturb the inner users of rec center (some were reading from library, etc, we were only in a large corner, with a few to several tables which had been reserved for our use)

so, it was now comical...im 14-15 years old, and my tabletop card game player hits a HR, and I can control myself for a few seconds as I stand up, proceed to nearby door, and then on the outside grass area, go apesh---t for several seconds to which I have to believe most of the rec center must have gotten a kick out of ;- /

I say all this not to too my horn, but to illustrate the beauty of competition with good competitors

as opposed to the "everyone gets a trophy" period (Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with that") I was raised and played half a dozen or more youth baseball leagues (and Pop Warner/Jr. All American football, and AYSO soccer, and jr high school basketball team, i was raised with the "2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate ?" mindset and soul

thus, to make a short story long (pun intended), I wished to expand on Denorius (original poster) comment which lauded (as I concurred above) to SS's acumen and results

I wish to go a step further, in accordance with the more personal, beyond stats, aspect of this and other games/sports/contests/competitions

although not sure if he objects to making it public, SS (sweet swinger) in and above the call of duty, and beyond just being a league mate, or commenting/replying to my league posts (ahem, whining about bad luck and losing), he replied either publicly or privately pffering extremely generous and valuable advice, even as I WAS IN THE SAME CURRENT LEAGUE AS HIMSELF

so he's not only being a nice guy, he's helping a direct rival.....that' doesn't happen often in real life sports, nor real life

SS, thank you

you not only provided valuable info on a silver platter, but that platter was inscribed with "helping others is more valuable than winning for yourself", and more so, let me keep that platter....the world, business, professional, college, high school and below sports and competitions are all about winning...and rightly so, when the alternative is not winning

but if youth and real life sports teach us anything, it's that we can't or won't always win ("say it AIN'T SO !, JOE !"), and that how we act and react defines us.....perhaps in one word "sportsmanship"

so good luck to you S Swinger, Sweet S, et al, you DESERVE some good luck and results coming your way ;- )

and thank you not only for helping me, but MORE SO, showing me how to play this game, on and off the field

BFW

Sweet Swinging 26

PostSun Jul 07, 2024 9:29 pm

:oops:

If you couldn't tell what the emoji was, that's me blushing Big Fred.

Sweet Swinging 26

PostMon Jul 08, 2024 7:54 am

I had the same fear about my bullpen, so I did make some changes. Sacrificed Vizquel in favor of Ordonez to get better relievers. Same defense, less offense and less injury protection.

Hack Wilson

PostMon Jul 08, 2024 8:50 am

Very interesting experiment, will be following! Thanks

Backfire

PostMon Jul 08, 2024 12:35 pm

This isn't the exact same concept as what you're trying but my best team of all time was all 1 rated defenders with VERY low errors. It was in a park like 19 17 18 20 or so. I used very cheap starters (1M or so) and expensive general relievers ($3-$4M) and slow hooked them. However, when I returned to the game I found this strategy no longer works to the same effect :P These days I think great defensive teams are good but they seem to work better as smallball rather than bomber. I was considering a stellar defensive pitching team as well but ended up not trying it, so I'm very curious about your experiment!

Sweet Swinging 26

PostSat Jul 13, 2024 7:49 am

12 games in, 6-6 record, but run differential is good and pitchers have had a tough time getting rolls on their cards so optimistic for a positive result. But it's very early.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1776595

So far:
0 errors
0 Passed Balls
0 Wild Pitches
0 Balks

Big Fred Whitfield

PostMon Jul 15, 2024 8:42 pm

Sweet Swinger 26

I tried to send u a private message, but it didn't work....I added u as friend, but seems can't send message

wanted to say thanks again and share something

lemme know if you accept messages and how to do

God bless

BFW
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats