Calling all Small Ball team Experts!!!!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

Re: Calling all Small Ball team Experts!!!!

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 5:47 pm

Once the season starts you don't want to be making a lot of moves. You can win with that team. I would not spend over 10 million on any one player with a 60 million dollar cap. If you are going to make any moves, get rid of some of those extra outfielders and maybe upgrade a starting pitcher or two.

CTStough

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 6:58 pm

LOL. That team is a mess, isn't it?

What I would suggest, you get two guys who can bang doubles and triples- lot's of 'em.

stratfanSkip

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 7:00 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:Once the season starts you don't want to be making a lot of moves. You can win with that team. I would not spend over 10 million on any one player with a 60 million dollar cap. If you are going to make any moves, get rid of some of those extra outfielders and maybe upgrade a starting pitcher or two.

Dravecky seems to be the least favorable SP in the group, so I think upgrading him is the right move!! Thanks for the advice RD!!!
To many teams, not enough time! Must be an addiction!!

stratfanSkip

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Ok, just a couple subtle moves geared towards improving to better starting pitching. O'Rourke will DH, with Rivers as his back up.......

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1381815
To many teams, not enough time! Must be an addiction!!

Radagast Brown

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 9:35 pm

Nice! You are 6-3, see what happens!

ScumbyJr

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 10:06 pm

stratfanSkip wrote:For the first year and a half playing SOM online, I played nothing but power ball without much success. I recently have switched over to "small ball", but am still learning who succeeds and who does not when it comes to players.
Anyone have what they consider to be the perfect small ball team? My ballpark of choice is Griffith '41.......my cap of choice is either $60 or $80......
This is my most recent team: http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1381815

What I am really looking for is "how to build a small ball team"! Pitching? Hitting? Etc, Etc!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Skip

My personal taste is to play long ball at $60M. I do not believe this low payroll allows you to build an appropriate starting rotation for a "small ball" team.

lanier64

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 10:28 pm

Rad aghast Brown wrote:

Once the season starts you don't want to be making a lot of moves.

Dang, I didn't realize your season had started. I thought you were still in preseason. Sorry about all of those sweeping recommendations Skip. I would have been more focused had I noticed.

Ed

CTStough

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Me too, thought you had more time.

I was hoping that other managers would put in their theories; I thought this was going to be an awesome thread of ideas being exchanged and debated

djmacb

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 pm

CTStough wrote:NEV currently has a forbes '57 team that makes NOOO sense to me, but is leading my division, which is baffling, because I look at his team and I say to myself, "This team sucks balls, what is it doing in first place?"

LMAO!!! That pretty much describes EVERY Nevdully's team I've ever been in a league with!

OK, my philosophy on small ball is:
- I like top to bottom hitting. No holes in the lineup. This is important when it takes 2-3 hits to score a run
- Everyone must run. I like my lineup to average 1-16 running (BTW, I think stealing is overrated)
- I don't see any need for power hitters. You can score a lot of runs with top to bottom OBP, BA, and speed and be competitive in any park.
- I like positive clutch guys, but this is probably also overrated. Now that clutch hits are tracked, there's usually only a handful each season
- I try to have a reasonably balanced team and spend ~35% on pitching. However, I don't spend much on the bullpen. Even at $100M, I only tend to spend about $8M on the pen.
- Value is important, so I look for pitchers with more than their share of ball park homers, but zero ball park singles. That's one thing I don't like about stratfanskip's team. His pitching staff is not well suited to a pitchers park.
- I try to have '1's up the middle. This automatically makes your staff better.

Radagast Brown

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 9:53 pm

CTSTough wrote: NEV currently has a forbes '57 team that makes NOOO sense to me, but is leading my division, which is baffling, because I look at his team and I say to myself, "This team sucks balls, what is it doing in first place?"

I think I am in that division with Nev's team, is it called, Movin' On 3 ??? I really don't think that team was built all that well for his park and that league either. He said he was trying several new cards. His team is off to a great start at 21-12...
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats