New cards are up

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

BC15NY

Re: New cards are up

PostWed Jul 31, 2024 2:46 pm

leeroyjenkins wrote:Not trying to sound like a downer on this (but here I go).

My two cents: Did we really need another Ruth, Mays, Clemente, Mize, Giambi etc card? In some cases they're functionally identical to cards of theirs that we already have.

One thing that I'd like to see in the criteria for the next time these nominations come up is that a player is ineligible for new cards if he already has three or four (or whatever number you want to pick).

I'm starting to feel like I'm Don Quixote and shilling for a decent Juan Samuel card is my windmill.

Honestly, I think that would be a solid way to start getting some new usable names on peoples draft cards.

Re Juan Samuel, his 1987 card is going to be added via a barnstormers selection (along with others from our 24.2 poll).

We get first-time players and major card upgrades with every new card drop. I believe there were over 15 new players with this add, along with numerous upgrades (e.g., Aaron Judge).

I think the process we have in place is working just fine.

Mattw0909

PostWed Jul 31, 2024 7:05 pm

I also like this process I think we get a nice balance of new players , upgrades that are needed for some and new options for the all time greats. As for the cards mentioned above Giambi has one other card , Ruth now has a batting card for the Red Sox , Mize got by far his best obp card in the set. I personally would rather 10 Ruth cards over a random player from 1933 with one good season. But I think the process that we have is a happy middle ground.

Hack Wilson

PostWed Jul 31, 2024 7:29 pm

Totally respect Leeroy, but they're not "functionally identical." I think the new cards for Ruth, Mays, Giambi, Mize, Clemente are substantively different, to varying degrees.

The Ruth card is his 1919 Red Sox card, better fielder, great arm, runs well -- and a 15 game injury risk, unlike the others. Take a chance.

The Mays card (my nomination!) is a much different Mays card than the others -- higher BA, best season for steals, fewer homers, good triples. Kinda a small ballpark three or cleanup hitter.

Giambi's new card has a lot of doubles on it, unlike his existing card.

Mize's card has a lot of BA, doubles and triples, fewer homers than existing cards.

Clemente was my favorite player growing up, so I'll never offer anything but positivity about him! :)

Frankly, I'd love to see all players' seasons included in SOM, that's really what should be the goal -- a Utopian yearning, perhaps unrealistic :) -- but it would make any questions like this moot. But it's always good to raise concerns and let conversations flow, thanks Leeroy!

leeroyjenkins

PostThu Aug 01, 2024 10:53 am

Thanks Hack. The respect is reciprocated.

I get what folks are saying. You could always point out differences here and there but I'll stand on my point.

We can all agree on the validity of adding all these cards, but my issue is with the way that they're prioritized by the voters over cards for people that we don't already have. Juan Samuel and Brian Wilson are usually at the top of my list but the truth is that we all have a mental list of players that we'd like to see added to the game. (Again, I'll acknowledge that Juan already has a card, but it's not useful unless you need a DH in a $40 million league.)

So yeah, all those cards are great. I'll use plenty of them. But I'd rather see a 2010 Brian Wilson before any new cards of the players already represented, and I think a little systemic control to make it more possible for some new faces to get in the game would be great.

Whoopycat

PostThu Aug 01, 2024 9:35 pm

The player set is now loaded with reverse lefty hitters. Going to try out the new bulletproof Billy WIlliams 5L card in Dunn.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats