George Brett

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Billings Ballers

Re: George Brett

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Outta Leftfield wrote:OK, here's one....

How many winning seasons have the Pittsburgh Pirates had since Barry Bonds left after the 1992 season, the year before Brett retired?

Hint: The answer to this makes the Royals look good...

0 Zero nada zilch zippo but who's counting

agabriel

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 7:23 pm

katzenjammer wrote:Exactly - you can't assume that the events that occurred after the blown call would be the same as what would have happened had the correct out call been made in the first place. The rookie Worrell would have been still settled, as well as the vets Clark and Porter - hopefully less apt to making their subsequent costly errors, if the bad call hadn't rattled them. Plus the crowd and Royals possibly may have been less "enthusiastic." So, one event leads to another - usually bad follows bad, while good follows good - "usually"!

Sorry I brought the whole thing up. Really I was just trying to be witty, but apparently you can't be witty here?

Sorry, but Royals fans do not consider the topic of Denkinger "witty." But since we're on the topic...

Why do you get to "assume" that the Cardinals would have been just fine if Denkinger makes the right call? Considering they were heartless and gutless, I find this hard to believe.

And, really, I do not think this is an opinion. If ever there was an objective measure of a team's lack of heart or guts, this is it!

artie4121

Trade?

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 3:34 pm

I think maybe they also knew about this stat and placed a lot of hope in Alex Gordon as the next Brett. Watching Gordon at UN and then in KC, he never seemed to hit the performance level expected.

Alex Gordon for

a. R.A. Dickey

or

b. David Wright.

Discuss among yourselves.

andycummings65

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Neither. The Royals won't take on a big salary or a player destined for a big payday. If they trade him, it's for prospects they can control for a few years.......

agabriel

Re: Trade?

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 6:45 pm

artie4121 wrote:Alex Gordon for

a. R.A. Dickey

or

b. David Wright.

Discuss among yourselves.

NO WAY!

Alex Gordon is younger than both of those guys AND has been a better player than Dickey and Wright combined the last 2 years AND is signed through 2016. (Dickey and Wright are signed through 2013. In their favor, however, David Wright and I share the same birth date and R.A. Dickey is almost as old as me!!!)

agabriel

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 10:33 am

andycummings65 wrote:Neither. The Royals won't take on a big salary or a player destined for a big payday. If they trade him, it's for prospects they can control for a few years.......

Can we agree that a "player destined for a big payday" is not necessarily worth taking a risk on? See: Carl Crawford.

Musial6

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 9:28 am

ADRIANGABRIEL wrote:
katzenjammer wrote:Exactly - you can't assume that the events that occurred after the blown call would be the same as what would have happened had the correct out call been made in the first place. The rookie Worrell would have been still settled, as well as the vets Clark and Porter - hopefully less apt to making their subsequent costly errors, if the bad call hadn't rattled them. Plus the crowd and Royals possibly may have been less "enthusiastic." So, one event leads to another - usually bad follows bad, while good follows good - "usually"!

Sorry I brought the whole thing up. Really I was just trying to be witty, but apparently you can't be witty here?

Sorry, but Royals fans do not consider the topic of Denkinger "witty." But since we're on the topic...

Why do you get to "assume" that the Cardinals would have been just fine if Denkinger makes the right call? Considering they were heartless and gutless, I find this hard to believe.

And, really, I do not think this is an opinion. If ever there was an objective measure of a team's lack of heart or guts, this is it!

I get to assume good things "might" have happened just as you get to assume that the same things that occurred would have happened - what's the difference?

I realize Royals fans are sensitive about their only "tainted championship."

And..........

No need to explain about Royals fans - they're the same people as the Chiefs fans - the ones who cheered when their quarterback got hurt.............real class............all third. How's that for wit,?

pwootten

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Wow! I've enjoyed the give and take about my town.

A couple comments about the Royals. There finally seems to be a plan in place under Dayton Moore. The team is drafting good young players and, in several cases, signing them to long term contracts that start early and extend past the point when they would otherwise be free agents.

The pitching still needs lots of work. Injuries have decimated what was considered a bumper crop of solid young arms. An above .500 season in 2013 hinges on whether or not the team can sign or trade for a couple decent starters. The bullpen is outstanding, young and solid.

I like the Royals everyday guys at every position except 2B and CF. Getz/Giavotella are not the answer. Lorenzo Cain could be good, but injuries are setting him back.

Keep and eye on Salvy Perez behind the plate. He will be a superstar in this league and is signed long-term.

And the stadium? Best place I've ever watched a game. I loved it so much I started working there last year. Give this town a winner and the locals will flock to the stadium.

Paul

Musial6

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Good report, Paul. Good luck in the future. We need more success stories in the "flyover" state.

JohnnyBlazers

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 7:54 pm

As a Yankee fan growing up in the 1970's I remember George Brett as a Yankee killer. The Royals had a great team in those days: Brett, McRae, Otis, White, Cowens, Mayberry. Played in three straight LCS vs. the Yanks and just didn't have luck on their side. I think their bullpen might have been a major reason why.

When I think of George Brett, I think of the HR he hit off Gossage in the 1980 LCS - I don't think a ball has everbeen hit harder. Check this link on the NY/KC rivalry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGi32AY ... re=related
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats