Not wanting to start controversy

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

voovits

Re: Not wanting to start controversy

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 10:19 pm

I don't play ATG, so I'm unaware of draft tendencies, but even if that were true about Maddux, it would only take a couple of leagues to see that he was regularly a free agent after autodrafts were run.
Also, if you are trying to insinuate that the OP knew nobody was going to have maddux on their cards ahead of time so he put him low on his card to ensure he would get him, then I believe you're mistaken. You can' see other draft cards before a league has run. That would be a major problem.

Tell me something important that can be learned by the draft results page that can not be learned otherwise. I don't think you can.

Honestly, I think if the draft results page has been a feature from the very beginning with a clickable link on the homepage for all to see, then there would never have been a problem.
I believe what got everyone up in arms about it was the fact that the link was a secret all this time. That and the fact that people did some digging where they weren't supposed to in order to find it.
The way this whole thing has played out has understandably rubbed many people the wrong way, so they are taking it out on the feature itself, which in reality is harmless.

Morpheus

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 10:24 pm

I believe I simply was lucky .. Was not expecting Maddux at 7, nor Hornsby at 15, was confident I would get Henderson at 10 .. and I actually have 2 pitchers over 10 mil when I convert Tiant.

My team
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/807947

My Draft list
1.Gibson, Josh (NeL) (C,LF,1B,RF) - 13.69M
2.Thomas, Frank (1994) (1B) - 11.44M
3.Dimaggio, Joe (1941) (CF) - 11.63M
4.Rodriguez, Alex (2005) (3B,SS) - 10.33M
5.Larkin, Barry (1996) (SS) - 10.88M
6.McGwire, Mark (1998) (1B) - 11.09M
7.Maddux, Greg (1995) (P) - 11.30M
8.Mathewson, Christy (1909) (P) - 10.55M
9.Eckersley, Dennis (1990) (P) - 5.34M
10.Henderson, Rickey (1982) (LF,CF) - 5.32M
11.Rivera, Mariano (1996) (P) - 5.59M
12.Foxx, Jimmie (1929) (1B,3B) - 9.46M
13.Allen, Dick (1966) (3B,LF) - 7.88M
14.Guerrero, Vladimir (2002) (RF) - 9.73M
15.Hornsby, Rogers (1922) (2B) - 12.39M
16.Duffy, Hugh (1901) (CF,RF,LF) - .90M
17.Wilson, Hack (1929) (CF) - 6.52M
18.Bender, Chief (1911) (P) - 3.72M
19.Bench, Johnny (1969) (C) - 5.71M
20.Tiant, Luis (1978) (P) - 4.84M
21.Boone, Bret (2003) (2B) - 8.58M
22.McLain, Denny (1969) (P) - 6.19M
23.Drysdale, Don (1965) (P) - 4.99M
24.Wilhelm, Hoyt (1969) (P) - 4.19M
25.Fryman, Woodie (1980) (P) - 4.25M

nevdully's

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 10:58 pm

voovits wrote:I don't play ATG, so I'm unaware of draft tendencies, but even if that were true about Maddux, it would only take a couple of leagues to see that he was regularly a free agent after autodrafts were run.
Also, if you are trying to insinuate that the OP knew nobody was going to have maddux on their cards ahead of time so he put him low on his card to ensure he would get him, then I believe you're mistaken. You can' see other draft cards before a league has run. That would be a major problem.

Tell me something important that can be learned by the draft results page that can not be learned otherwise. I don't think you can.

Honestly, I think if the draft results page has been a feature from the very beginning with a clickable link on the homepage for all to see, then there would never have been a problem.
I believe what got everyone up in arms about it was the fact that the link was a secret all this time. That and the fact that people did some digging where they weren't supposed to in order to find it.
The way this whole thing has played out has understandably rubbed many people the wrong way, so they are taking it out on the feature itself, which in reality is harmless.

See Maddux has other cards in ATG so if you draft about 25 other lesser sps than his most expensive card one of his his slightly lower card(s) would get picked by default...so he would not be a free agent EVER....So there's one thing that can't be learned otherwise.

DonFESQ

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 11:09 pm

this thing stinks so bad. The more I think about it the worse it smells.

voovits

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 11:09 pm

That may be true, but technically if anyone has the lower priced Maddux on their team, it's unlikely that anyone attempted to draft the most expensive one, because unless you're planning on swapping out the cheap one for more expensive one, nobody in their right mind would put the cheap Maddux that high on their draft card to where they would draft him before the guy trying to draft his most expensive one. It would therefore stand to reason that if you see the cheap maddux on someones roster, then it's highly likely that nobody tried to draft the expensive one.
Though I'm not familiar with the ATG player set, I'm sure the Maddux scenario I just described does NOT apply to all players, I'll admit that.

I still stand by what I said though. If the feature was there from the very beginning with a clickable link on the league homepage, nobody would ever be upset about it.

nevdully's

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 11:20 pm

voovits wrote:That may be true, but technically if anyone has the lower priced Maddux on their team, it's unlikely that anyone attempted to draft the most expensive one, because unless you're planning on swapping out the cheap one for more expensive one, nobody in their right mind would put the cheap Maddux that high on their draft card to where they would draft him before the guy trying to draft his most expensive one. It would therefore stand to reason that if you see the cheap maddux on someones roster, then it's highly likely that nobody tried to draft the expensive one.
Though I'm not familiar with the ATG player set, I'm sure the Maddux scenario I just described does NOT apply to all players, I'll admit that.

I still stand by what I said though. If the feature was there from the very beginning with a clickable link on the league homepage, nobody would ever be upset about it.

Of course you'll still stand by what you said because no one publicly changes their mind here. lol

Way wrong here too....people in 200m atg constantly put lower priced cards on their draft list and Maddux has 4 cards all good (well 3 real good, 11.30 10.45 8.74) so you could list his lower cards and hope for the best....the 8.74 card would still give you a solid sp.

Also if you're in a righty or HR park and you want Greenberg if you list the 9m Greenberg and miss you probably get Connor (yuk) so you list the 7.92 Greenberg because if you miss you probably get Pujols who often goes undrafted.... believe me there are other examples as well...and sometimes its not even about getting the player as much as just taking a shot at his lower card because that's all the cash you have left....

Also on 8 of my last 9 200m teams I drafted Larkin and Rickey but just coincidentally the guy with the loophole got both of em this time. ;)
Last edited by nevdully's on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salty

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Voo-

When all of the top players get taken in 200 mill- peoples draft orders matter a great deal.
First of all- we dont always play in the same leagues with exactly the same people- so you dont really know who wants to pick who and when.
Its only after repeated failures or repeated successes that you get an idea- and then it changes because others copy what you did.
If someone saw 2 or 3 of my drafts in a row- they might have an idea of where i draft a guy- but if they can see the draft cards then they can know exactly where to put him next time to get ahead of me-
rather than be forced to strategize how to get guys they want.

Valen

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 11:48 pm

It would therefore stand to reason that if you see the cheap maddux on someones roster, then it's highly likely that nobody tried to draft the expensive one.

Not so at all. I frequently put Maddux on my draft card. If I pick the low price card it is always at or very near the top of my draft card. I want to make sure I get him because I do not want a low priced consolation in a 200 mil league. On the flip side I often put the highest priced Maddux low on my card gambling everyone else was not wanting to use a top pick they might lose out on and figuring if someone did put him on their card I would still get the most expensive non-drafted pitcher.

But let me make sure I understand correctly. Knowing whether someone has read my trade offer is a violation of privacy of their privacy but knowing who I drafted where and what stadiums I plan on using is not. :?

This debate happened a couple years back. Then the link had existed so beta testers could make sure the autodraft logic was working correctly. But it got leaked and there was a huge outcry. Supposedly the link was shut down and made unavailable. Now we find out it still works.

Personally I think the only links that should work are the ones provided to us. Links like these that show draft preferences and park picks should only work for those with administrative logins. Folks, that is just basic web security when doing web development.

So what if it only shows tie resolution. If I draft Ripken or whomever #7 and get him I may assume nobody else did and try to sneak him at #8 or lower next time. If however I see someone else also picked him #7 and I only got him because I won the virtual coin flip then I slide him up to #6 next time. Is anyone seriously going to tell me that knowledge gives me no advantage?

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 12:20 am

But let me make sure I understand correctly. Knowing whether someone has read my trade offer is a violation of privacy of their privacy but knowing who I drafted where and what stadiums I plan on using is not. :?

Can we get 100 "likes" on this. :mrgreen:

Morpheus

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 1:11 am

As the "loophole guy" I apologize if I am a little more computer savvy than some ..

My only point was I found a hidden link, that if anyone had access to could have a big advantage. I was not looking to "cheat" or have an unfair advantage so I posted it here for all to see. It was quickly shut down by the powers that be and now no one has access to this information.

I think the discussion is a valid one, and I too fear there are other issues "under the hood" that we do not know about.

I do feel I need to be ostracized for Nev having a bad draft and somehow trying to point the blame on me. I have done all I can do to be transparent, by posting my team and my draft list ..

At 200 mil with current player pool the draft is as much art as it is science. Planned misses (see Nevs example re Greenberg) can be as important as direct hits ..

BTW - I did not get Henderson at 10 .. that was the point I was trying to make.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats