Not wanting to start controversy

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

216 Stitches

Re: Not wanting to start controversy

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 1:31 am

Thanks Morpheus for sharing the link. Aside from short term issues, it did
appear to get the link removed. Which kind of levels the playing field again,
or sometime soon or just sometime eventually.

The bigger picture for me is the autodraft strategies (really from the high
cap point of view) aren't really strat or baseball. You end up playing auto draft
lotto which might be more akin to a reality TV simulation, like strat survivor.
The consequences of the hit or miss pick outcomes neccesitates the secrecy (or
lack of transpancy) in how the decisons were derived, and IMHO a weakness
of the autodraft at these cap levels.

voovits

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 am

OK, I concede that I was way wrong on the draft strategies regarding maddux and drafting the lower priced version of the player. It's a non factor in the mystery card game that I play, so I fail to consider all possible draft strategies in that manner. However there are a few points to make regarding the most recent responses.

If someone saw 2 or 3 of my drafts in a row- they might have an idea of where i draft a guy- but if they can see the draft cards then they can know exactly where to put him next time to get ahead of me-
rather than be forced to strategize how to get guys they want.

That's just the thing. The draft results page does not show where you placed your guys. Just the fact that you had them somewhere on your draft card.

So what if it only shows tie resolution. If I draft Ripken or whomever #7 and get him I may assume nobody else did and try to sneak him at #8 or lower next time. If however I see someone else also picked him #7 and I only got him because I won the virtual coin flip then I slide him up to #6 next time. Is anyone seriously going to tell me that knowledge gives me no advantage?

The page does not show virtual coin flips. If you selected Ripken at #7 and get him. Then you look at the page and see 3 other people missed out on Ripken, all that tell you is that 3 other people had Ripken at #7 or lower. It doesnt mean all 3 of them put him at #7 also. I used to spend a lot of time looking over the draft results page. Even after it was disabled in 200x/ATG, it still worked for the 70s and 80s game. Every single player I missed out on was listed in the results page, so it has to include guys that were not involved in a tie for ranking. If it only included the tiebreaker coin flips, or if the page differentiated between the tiebreakers and the guys lost because of a lower draft rank, then I'd agree that information needs to be blocked.

I think there is a bit of misconception regarding exactly what kind of information is being shown. I'm noticing many people assuming certain things about the page that is untrue.

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 8:42 am

Morpheus wrote:As the "loophole guy" I apologize if I am a little more computer savvy than some ..

My only point was I found a hidden link, that if anyone had access to could have a big advantage. I was not looking to "cheat" or have an unfair advantage so I posted it here for all to see. It was quickly shut down by the powers that be and now no one has access to this information.

I think the discussion is a valid one, and I too fear there are other issues "under the hood" that we do not know about.

I do feel I need to be ostracized for Nev having a bad draft and somehow trying to point the blame on me. I have done all I can do to be transparent, by posting my team and my draft list ..

At 200 mil with current player pool the draft is as much art as it is science. Planned misses (see Nevs example re Greenberg) can be as important as direct hits ..

BTW - I did not get Henderson at 10 .. that was the point I was trying to make.

ok a lot to answer here...and some additional thoughts to add...First computer savvy should have zero bearing on this game...but it does and thats bad.

two...Morpheous obviously agrees stuff can be learned from this and other loopholes here.

thirdly I do not think Morpheous was looking to cheat. (but more on this later)

fourth point is sad but true...I've found that no one changes anyone's mind on these boards ever (but I hold out hope that someday it will happen) even when presented with a mountain of sensible generalizations or anecdotal evidence. So I try to give real facts here, hence Morpheous on the hot seat.

But getting back to "cheating" or being "lucky"...it wasn't just luck that got him Maddux at 7 and Hornsby at 15 and even his miss of Foxx late wasn't just happenstance....He learned a lot of useful information from the loophole and coulda learned tons more....so he stumbled onto something... found some useful info...was smart enough to realize hey this is big....good enough of a sportsman to bring it forward...but human enough to not be able to unlearn and use what he stumbled on..

and yes I stand corrected on Rickey.

voovits

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 8:59 am

I'd like to know what unfair advantage Morpheous got from checking at most 1 or 2 draft results pages that allowed him to know exactly where to place the players.

I am not a close minded person. You can change my mind on the draft results page potentially being being bad if I can be presented with information that can be learned from that page that can not be learned just by studying peoples teams post draft.

The draft results page does not help/hurt anything if you're looking to draft a guy like Maddux regarding the example discussed earlier.

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 am

Well I did present you with a great example of Maddux no? and btw How is it he learned Maddux is "rarely taken" " with only looking "at most" one or two lists?????

And really what I think you mean to be saying is "I don't really think its a big deal because it doesn't affect me" and "I still don't think it's a big deal even though you and others showed me how it was a big deal to them, because it doesn't affect me"

voovits

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 9:21 am

nevdully's wrote:Well I did present you with a great example of Maddux no? and btw How is it he learned Maddux is "rarely taken" " with only looking "at most" one or two lists?????

And really what I think you mean to be saying is "I don't really think its a big deal because it doesn't affect me" and "I still don't think it's a big deal even though you and others showed me how it was a big deal to them, because it doesn't affect me"

Ok, lets put it this way. Neither of what you said there applies.

I just dont understand.

I dont understand how you can say that Maddux often goes undrafted, and blame it on the info provided on the draft results page. That must mean you used the page to get that information. Otherwise that means you knew that information without using the draft results page, which I think is far more likely. Therefore the draft results page did not do any good in gathering that information.
Besides, even if the results page WAS helpful in getting that info, you would need to see many results pages before coming to that conclusion. You cant base the information that Maddux rarely gets drafted just by looking at maybe 2 different draft results. Even 3 or 4 would be too small of a sample size.

Also, for the sake of argument, lets assume I agreed with your point that the Maddux information was learned solely due to the draft results page and nothing else. How does that give an unfair advantage? If Maddux is not on peoples draft cards, it's because nobody wants him. I could care less if someone drafts a player not on my draft card. In fact, I prefer that because that increases the chances of me getting the guys I want anyway.

BTW, here's another thing I dont understand. Why would nobody want a top notch pitcher in a 100 or 200 mil league? It's not like salary is a major issue. I know I would certainly consider having him on my draft card in a high cap league.

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 am

Now I understand...I actually understood the problem all along but had hoped that I was wrong. :shock:

voovits

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 am

I assumed it was only a small amount of draft lists because he site hasn't been online for a long time and the link was disabled pretty quick.

OK, let me rephrase what I said. Not putting Maddux on my draft card does not necessarily mean I dont want him, but that there are others I'd rather have over him. if Maddux was my preference, he'd be on my draft card.
Of course that statement is relative to the salary cap. naturally my preference would be the 4 best pitchers, but thats not realistic.

And I still dont understand how knowing someone is rarely drafted gives you any kind of advantage.

Edit: Sorry, but I read and responded to your post before you edited it to the immature sarcasm we currently see. I understand if you dont want to continue what I thought was supposed to be mature people debating an issue. I guess I was only half right there.
I will concede that some information could be learned from the draft results page that cant be learned elsewhere, but it is my opinion that whatever learned is not significant enough to give someone a competitive edge.
I am obviously in the minority here as more people speak up against it than they do for it. I would like to have it as a permanent link but I know that SOM would be foolish to insert it as it would upset too many people.

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 11:12 am

Well said.

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 11:18 am

I will concede that some information could be learned from the draft results page that cant be learned elsewhere, but it is my opinion that whatever learned is not significant enough to give someone a competitive edge.

Well the guy that found the loophole thinks there's an advantage there...Even spelled it out privately to me.. but since it's always touchy to talk here about league mail I didn't go into as many details as I could...Others that play 200m think there's an issue and advantage as well...salt and valen tried to explain as well....DonFESQ thinks so too....But if that isn't gonna change your mind (especially since 200m ATG is a completely different animal, and you don't play it) then I gotta stop beating my head against the wall.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats