Not wanting to start controversy

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

voovits

Re: Not wanting to start controversy

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Not trying to further the debate, just want to get a couple of opinions.

I can certainly understand the frustration regarding the existence of the link but it not being common knowledge.

How would you guys feel if the link was there at the end of every draft on the homepage for everyone to see and use? That way everyone has a the same advantages and capability to learn from it.

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 7:48 pm

nevdully's wrote:I think this is the first step in the strategy of this game and one of the few things we can control... and I feel strongly this shouldn't be public knowledge.

voovits

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Let me ask you this then.
What do you think of Wavygravy's greasemonkey scripts for firefox that can help provide some players who use that browser easy access to information that could be extremely helpful.
Like the card chances script for example, which I have grown to become dependent on.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/70498

Clearly those who make use of that script has an edge over those who dont.

Valen

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Do not see the script you reference as quite the same thing. That information is not something that is normally hidden. It is only taking the information commonly provided and organizing a little. Same information available on diamonddope or just with a calculator. That is different from information that should be hidden such as my draft card.

Although i suppose there may be things one could do with greasemonkey which could produce information that is/should be otherwise hidden. Those would need discussion on an individual basis. That is one reason I wonder how the links which were the subject of this thread were shut down. Was the information truly secured or is it still exposed where someone who knows something like greasemonkey can search it out again?

macnole

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 am

nevdully's wrote:I think this is the first step in the strategy of this game and one of the few things we can control... and I feel strongly this shouldn't be public knowledge.

Most definitely.

macnole

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 am

Valen wrote:Do not see the script you reference as quite the same thing. That information is not something that is normally hidden. It is only taking the information commonly provided and organizing a little. Same information available on diamonddope or just with a calculator. That is different from information that should be hidden such as my draft card.

Although i suppose there may be things one could do with greasemonkey which could produce information that is/should be otherwise hidden. Those would need discussion on an individual basis. That is one reason I wonder how the links which were the subject of this thread were shut down. Was the information truly secured or is it still exposed where someone who knows something like greasemonkey can search it out again?

Yes--it's already public knowledge. Some still struggle with the "mystery" of the cards, but the cards are public and are static. Strategy is not static, whether pre-draft or in-game, and should not be revealed in conjunction with the results. Opens up new avenues for abuse of fairplay too.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats