Value of hit and run MORE

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Hack Wilson

Value of hit and run MORE

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Does any one have an idea about the value of hitting and running more? For example, if Eddie Collins at 7.97M is a "B" hit and runner, is it better to have him checked for hit and run "More", or leave him alone? Thoughts.... 8-)

andycummings65

Re: Value of hit and run MORE

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 10:28 pm

I'm not a Strat savant, but I think the rule of thumb is, a good hitter card is "penalized" by going to the H&R chart. In other words, good hitters card-dont H&R, bad hitter with a good H&R rating-use the H&R

The Biomechanical Man

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 10:34 pm

I completely agree with Andy. H&R [and Bunt] are for mediocre and poor hitters.

Valen

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 1:18 am

In general agree with andy. A great hitter I want to test the rolls on his card.

But H&R does more than just transfer result source from the hitter card to the H&R charts.
It takes the pitcher out of the equation. No more 50/50 split. Won't matter if Maddux or Eckersly or Murray is on mound the dice roll is not coming off that pitcher card. It is coming off the chart. You also largely take potential for double play out of the picture. So a hitter card with lots of gb(A) might be a candidate for h&R more setting.

sdajr76

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 7:00 am

excellent incite valen. i learned something today.

-steven
-steven

macnole

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 7:54 pm

good post

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 am

If memory serves me, if your batter hits better than .250 dont hit and run ,the exception being if he is a double play machine and the goal is to move the runner over.

Hack Wilson

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 am

Excellent; :D thanks for the illumination!

Valen

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 6:53 pm

If memory serves me, if your batter hits better than .250 dont hit and run

Where does that memory come from? I agree there is some point at which using H&R no longer makes sense. That is true of real life and not just Strat. i doubt if Hamilton, Kemp or Votto get the H&R sign. Doubt Ruth or Cobb were asked to do it a lot. And think it would be more complicated than just BA of whatever. In real life you would factor in not only how good the hitter was otherwise but also how DP prone he was and how well he made contact. Doubt Rob Deer got the H&R called many times when he was up there. Trumbo is hitting .320 but doubt with all those strikeouts he is asked to give it a try.

Still, when someone tosses out a hard number my mind always immediately asks why would that be the cutoff? What is magical about that number? Suspect someone looked at the H&R charts and calculated a BA that would result from it. But that simple calculation would not be factoring in the number of times the chart calls up a gb(C) to advance the runner when a gb(A) might have otherwise been the result.

H&R is an integral part of small ball. Might be fun to add to the discussion how much of a role it should play in small ball. When we all talk about small ball are we just talking about high BA, high OBP hitters? Do we just mean an absence of HR hitters in the lineup? Or is setting H&R and bunt to aggressive also a prominent part of it? Is basestealing a necessary part?

And perhaps might be interesting to discuss difference in how small ball is/should implemented by us in Strat verses how it is implemented in real life?

Blutarsky

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 10:58 pm

I agree with the overall theme here (good hitter = no H/R) with one caveat. If I'm talking about a mid-level bat that I would normally not hit and run, but he is a high injury risk or a potential 15 gamer, I'll often consider letting him hit and run more, since there's no potential for an injury roll.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats